No AT&T Wi-Fi Calling with T-Mobile Model

David Malka

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Found the workaround. I was the told the same thing by AT&T but here's what I did and it works now on my unlocked T-Mobile model. I inserted my SIM in my friends AT&T iPhone 6s Plus and activated WIFI Calling. Then I put the SIM back in my T-Mobile Unlocked phone and when I turned Wifi Calling on it asked me to confirm and now it's working. I am using AT&T Wifi Calling on a T-Mobile unlocked phone.

It doesn't. I had an unlocked T-Mobile model and it didn't work. I stopped by the Apple Store and swapped it out for an ATT model and now wifi calling is working for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Malka

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Actually it worked for a few minutes and then the WiFi calling disappeared but still shows as ON in settings. Will wait a bit but if not will definitely get the unit swapped for an AT&T one.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Actually it worked for a few minutes and then the WiFi calling disappeared but still shows as ON in settings. Will wait a bit but if not will definitely get the unit swapped for an AT&T one.

Interesting. I couldn't even get to the setup screen on my other phone.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the T-mobile model running on AT&T and wifi calling works fine. It will only work when your cell signal is really weak - like for instance inside a building with poor signal

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the T-mobile model running on AT&T and wifi calling works fine. It will only work when your cell signal is really weak - like for instance inside a building with poor signal

I couldn't even get to the setup screen on mine. And then when I switched it out for the ATT model, it worked right away. I was on the same wifi network when I tried both times.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Even in the betas, that sporadic disappearing while still on in the settings would happen. I think that's more of an AT&T problem than an iPhone problem.

zanix

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem, I have a support ticket open with AT&T to resolve it. Did you open a support ticket? When I bought this phone Apple support told me that as long as I didn't activate the phone with T-Mobile I would have no trouble using it with AT&T.

Why are people buying the T-Mobile version of the iPhone to use with their AT&T SIM card? Why not just buy the AT&T iPhone?

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
For me - had no choice for an off-contract full price option when I ordered through the Apple Store App on launch day. My "T-mobile" version works perfectly on AT&T including the new WiFi calling. Not sure what's up with the others.

zanix

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
For me - had no choice for an off-contract full price option when I ordered through the Apple Store App on launch day. My "T-mobile" version works perfectly on AT&T including the new WiFi calling. Not sure what's up with the others.
Do you mean you wanted to buy an iPhone at full price and all that was available was the T-Mobile version? No AT&T was available?

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean you wanted to buy an iPhone at full price and all that was available was the T-Mobile version? No AT&T was available?

Yes. When I went to the store, the guy asked if I wanted an ATT one instead and I said sure. He looked but they didn't have the one I wanted. Never realized that it would impact wifi calling.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

Not sure if that was the case in store or if buying from a carrier. But I bought through the Apple Store app on my phone. Only option given to me for AT&T was via contract renewal. So I got the T-Mobile version instead. Didn't bother me. Has no real effect other than missing band 30.

zanix

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if that was the case in store or if buying from a carrier. But I bought through the Apple Store app on my phone. Only option given to me for AT&T was via contract renewal. So I got the T-Mobile version instead. Didn't bother me. Has no real effect other than missing band 30.
What is band 30 and why can't you get it with the T-Mobile iPhone?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
OK you guys, I'm going to ask something very very stupid so forgive me.....how do you use wifi calling? I'm on an unlimited voice plan so I'm not really needing it but I'm curious because so many people want it so badly.
I want to know because if there are advantages to this that I'm not using I want to know!

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Rose Gold 128G iPhone 6s Plus

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
OK you guys, I'm going to ask something very very stupid so forgive me.....how do you use wifi calling? I'm on an unlimited voice plan so I'm not really needing it but I'm curious because so many people want it so badly.
I want to know because if there are advantages to this that I'm not using I want to know!

In settings, go to phone and switch on wifi settings. It will prompt you to enter some emergency contact info. Then once that's complete, the feature is on. It will then use your wifi network for voice calls. You will see the word "Wi-Fi" next to your carrier name at the top of the phone when enabled.

Last night I took a call on it and it was noticeably clearer. I had forgotten I had this on but I wondered why it was so clear. Maybe it was wifi calling. :)

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
No AT&T Wi-Fi Calling with T-Mobile Model

In settings, go to phone and switch on wifi settings. It will prompt you to enter some emergency contact info. Then once that's complete, the feature is on. It will then use your wifi network for voice calls. You will see the word "Wi-Fi" next to your carrier name at the top of the phone when enabled.

Last night I took a call on it and it was noticeably clearer. I had forgotten I had this on but I wondered why it was so clear. Maybe it was wifi calling. :)

Oh I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I've done that.
What I mean to say is why.....is it a matter of clarity, not using minutes....I'm sorry to be dense...

9d912d7a67c267378755b4251bdc4256.jpg

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: No AT&T Wi-Fi Calling with T-Mobile Model

Oh I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I've done that.
What I mean to say is why.....is it a matter of clarity, not using minutes....I'm sorry to be dense...

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/11/9d912d7a67c267378755b4251bdc4256.jpg

I don't know if ATT uses minutes or not when on wifi calling. I did read that T-Mobile doesn't use your minutes.

If you're in an area where your cell signal isn't strong, and you are on wifi, you can benefit from that. I don't get great signal at my house, so wifi calling will be great to have for me.

Also, if you travel internationally, and you are on wifi a lot, you could in theory use your phone for calls like normal. I don't do that but someone at work does and loves the feature for that reason.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah thank you. That last point would be huge for me.