No AT&T Wi-Fi Calling with T-Mobile Model

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Couldn't get wi-fi calling activated on my unlocked 6S+ and now I know why - it is only supported for the AT&T model numbers. So even though I use AT&T with the unlocked T-Mobile variant, and even though the ONLY difference between the two is that the T-Mobile model doesn't receive some new LTE band, wi-fi calling is a no-go. And it's too late to exchange mine for an AT&T version. Very disappointing :mad:

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem, I have a support ticket open with AT&T to resolve it. Did you open a support ticket? When I bought this phone Apple support told me that as long as I didn't activate the phone with T-Mobile I would have no trouble using it with AT&T.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem, I have a support ticket open with AT&T to resolve it. Did you open a support ticket? When I bought this phone Apple support told me that as long as I didn't activate the phone with T-Mobile I would have no trouble using it with AT&T.

No, I didn't open a support ticket. The rep I spoke with entered my IMEI number and when the model number popped up she read me the message about it not being a supported model for wi-fi calling. She did say that could change since it just started yesterday, but she couldn't say for sure.

As for your voice over LTE issue, that is working fine for me.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I am on the phone with apple care right now, I will update if they offer anything helpful. Another fun fact is this model of iPhone 6s Plus (World Phone) does not support AT&T LTE Band 30 which would benefit LTE data speeds in urban areas.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Apple support says that this phone should support all the features. But because I have 1 day left to return they are going to phone my local Apple Store and see if they will exchange this phone for the AT&T Model A1634 - he said no guarantee as the store can say no. Also funny that Apple considers my pre-order date as the first day in the 30 day return process.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
They approved the exchange but only have rose gold (yuck) she encouraged me to pick up the rose gold which would reset the return process for another 30 days in which time they would more likely have the Space Grey in stock. I am not sure that I could deal with rose gold and the white face for more than a day. She did confirm that the unlocked models being sold are A1687 as well. So swapping for the sim free version won't help.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
They approved the exchange but only have rose gold (yuck) she encouraged me to pick up the rose gold which would reset the return process for another 30 days in which time they would more likely have the Space Grey in stock. I am not sure that I could deal with rose gold and the white face for more than a day. She did confirm that the unlocked models being sold are A1687 as well. So swapping for the sim free version won't help.

According to this article from iMore the new "sim-free" models that Apple is selling are the A1634 for the 6S Plus which is the unlocked AT&T model that I have.

SIM-free iPhone 6s, 6s Plus now available at Apple Online Store | iMore

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
This explains a lot. I have the T-Mobile version as well and can't get wifi calling working for me. Today is my last day to exchange. I may have to run by the Apple Store and see what I can do.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I did exchange for the unlocked sim free version as my apple store had no AT&T specific models in stock, since they didn't have space grey the again encouraged me to use the extra 30 days to wait for my color to come in and exchange again. If Wifi Calling doesn't get resolved I may just do that. I live in a mediocre coverage area so I really want wifi calling to work.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
After a quick online chat with AT&T my HD Voice and Wifi Calling are now functioning on the SIM Free device A1634 ... Awesome! Now if I can only get used to the white face ;-)

Of all the Rose Golds not being immediately available it's pretty funny that's only what they had in stock for you at the moment.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to know if it would of still worked on the T-Mobile Unlocked iPhone.

It doesn't. I had an unlocked T-Mobile model and it didn't work. I stopped by the Apple Store and swapped it out for an ATT model and now wifi calling is working for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk