Working on my A1687 no problem. All I did was stuck in my AT&T SIM card. Switched it on, went through the necessary acknowledgements, and it told me they wifi calling was activated. I have such poor service in my office that it immediately said wifi up in the status bar. Made a call to my wife to confirm it was working!

Sent from my  iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk
    I have an A1549. Does that mean anything?
    10-12-2015 03:13 PM
    I have an A1549. Does that mean anything?
    I called Verizon. They said all their 4G phones are unlocked. So I guess I am good to go!
    10-12-2015 03:37 PM
    I called Verizon. They said all their 4G phones are unlocked. So I guess I am good to go!
    Unfortunately that doesn't mean you'll be able to use WiFi Calling with AT&T.
    10-12-2015 05:07 PM
    Why not? How about with T-Mobile?
    10-12-2015 05:08 PM
    I'm using it successfully on a Verizon (Unlocked) Model A1687 with my AT&T SIM card with no issues.

Sent from my  iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    10-12-2015 05:21 PM
    I'm using it successfully on a Verizon (Unlocked) Model A1687 with my AT&T SIM card with no issues.

Mine is an A1549 so there must be a difference between your model and mine that won't allow wifi calling?
    10-12-2015 06:52 PM
    Mine is an A1549 so there must be a difference between your model and mine that won't allow wifi calling?
    Maybe, I'm not 100% sure why mine is working, just grateful that it is.

10-12-2015 06:59 PM
    Update from the OP here - WiFi Calling is now active and working on my 6S+. Went to activate it today - as I've been trying to do every day - and it went through the activation steps without issue. Not exactly sure what changed overnight, but whatever it was, I'm pleased.
    jayk82 and eyecrispy like this.
    10-13-2015 08:17 AM
    Update from the OP here - WiFi Calling is now active and working on my 6S+. Went to activate it today - as I've been trying to do every day - and it went through the activation steps without issue. Not exactly sure what changed overnight, but whatever it was, I'm pleased.
    Nice. Glad it's working for you. ATT must've been reading this thread.

I'm kind of glad I swapped my T-Mobile model out for an ATT one bc now I have band 30 and wifi calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-13-2015 08:32 AM
    So I wonder if I will be able to use my Verizon 6 on a T-Mobile MVNO?
    You could use it on a T-Mobile MVNO for sure -- The Verizon version is unlocked right out of the gate. No need to contact Verizon to unlock or anything like that. As for WiFi calling on that MVNO -- that I am not sure on.
    10-13-2015 12:14 PM
    It will only work when your cell signal is really weak - like for instance inside a building with poor signal
    Almost correct. It will automatically kick in if you have a poor cell signal. You can force your iPhone to use it by turning on flight-mode and then turning on just the WiFi. Then it says ATT WiFi up top.
    10-14-2015 03:02 AM
    Yes. When I went to the store, the guy asked if I wanted an ATT one instead and I said sure. He looked but they didn't have the one I wanted. Never realized that it would impact wifi calling.
    ...and no WCS band 30. Not so important today, but in 3-6 months it'll be nice to have -- will also make it a more attractive unlocked resale as by then band-30 will be widely available. Many looking to purchased an unlocked iPhone 6S won't know or care about it, but those familiar with it will seek models that support it, and bid higher on eBay :-)
    10-14-2015 03:05 AM
    It's the new LTE band that ATT will be rolling out. It'll be awhile before it happens though.
    The rollout has begun, as AT&T said it would, this summer and continuing through 2016 with any loose ends in early 2017. They aren't making a huge deal of it though as it enhances LTE, but isn't a new class-of-service. They issued a press release with a general timeline, however, no locations were mentioned and they aren't releasing any 'in these cities now' type follow-ups. It's not something noted on their coverage maps either.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    10-14-2015 03:11 AM
    Fierce Wireless was the first to release an overview on the rollout, can't seem to post a link to it but if you Google:

AT&T begins deploying 2.3 GHz WCS spectrum for LTE

...it'll be at the top of the list. Most other articles about it reference the Fierce post from September, or are based on it.
    10-14-2015 03:17 AM
    I bought the T-MOBILE model because it was the only non-contract unlocked version available when the 6S+ was released. I have done this in the past with older versions too without any issues. For some reason, when phones are released, Apple doesn't offer a straight unlocked version with no carrier associated. They add it later and also include the little pin to eject the SIM tray, and don't include a tmobile sim.
    But according to Apple, it is the exact same phone with the exact same features.
    I use AT&T. I tried the wifi calling a few days ago, and the option was there, but it kept giving me an error when I tried to activate it.
    However, today, I tried it, and it worked. So obviously, this was on the AT&T end, and not the Apple end.
    eyecrispy and jayk82 like this.
    10-15-2015 10:20 AM
    I bought the T-MOBILE model because it was the only non-contract unlocked version available when the 6S+ was released. I have done this in the past with older versions too without any issues. For some reason, when phones are released, Apple doesn't offer a straight unlocked version with no carrier associated. They add it later and also include the little pin to eject the SIM tray, and don't include a tmobile sim.
    But according to Apple, it is the exact same phone with the exact same features.
    I use AT&T. I tried the wifi calling a few days ago, and the option was there, but it kept giving me an error when I tried to activate it.
    However, today, I tried it, and it worked. So obviously, this was on the AT&T end, and not the Apple end.
    Glad to hear they resolved it. I actually swapped out my T-mobile model for an AT&T for this reason last Friday. Kinda glad I did that bc now I have band 30.
    10-15-2015 10:26 AM
    Glad to hear they resolved it. I actually swapped out my T-mobile model for an AT&T for this reason last Friday. Kinda glad I did that bc now I have band 30.
    Does the unlocked sim free model have all the available bands?
    10-15-2015 10:37 AM
    Nice. Glad it's working for you. ATT must've been reading this thread.

I'm kind of glad I swapped my T-Mobile model out for an ATT one bc now I have band 30 and wifi calling.

Me too! I didn't realize I was missing band 30 until this post. My cell signal is much better at work because of this.

10-15-2015 11:12 AM
    Does the unlocked sim free model have all the available bands?
    Yes it does!

10-15-2015 11:13 AM
    Do you use AT&T or T-Mobile?
    10-15-2015 12:47 PM
    Do you use AT&T or T-Mobile?
    ATT
    10-15-2015 06:02 PM
    Me too! I didn't realize I was missing band 30 until this post. My cell signal is much better at work because of this.

Sadly, my signal isn't any better. But hey, band 30 for when it rolls out around here.
    10-15-2015 06:03 PM
    Not in a hurry to get this going. Wifi calling always seems grainy and not very clear.
    10-18-2015 12:05 PM
    Not in a hurry to get this going. Wifi calling always seems grainy and not very clear.
    I have found wifi calling to be fantastic and sound great. I am using an apple AirPort Extreme as my router.
    11-22-2015 02:06 AM
    Almost correct. It will automatically kick in if you have a poor cell signal. You can force your iPhone to use it by turning on flight-mode and then turning on just the WiFi. Then it says ATT WiFi up top.
    If you have Wi-Fi calling activated you can also force it to Wi-Fi calling if you turn cellular off. That way GPS still works. I do this at home to save on battery power. I have a great Wi-Fi signal. By turning cellular off that radio is not on and consequently can save a lot of power.
    11-23-2015 07:40 AM
75 123