"Chipgate" which chip is in your phone? Samsung or TSMC?

phobos512

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Ok so after using the phone for a few days here's a chart of my battery info (I took screenshots all but the first day and used them to make the chart attached below; I can upload the pics later on if anyone wants to see them but it's a pain to get them off my phone when I'm at the office).

As a reminder, this is a Samsung 6S+128. Stressing use cases included GPS navigation (20 minutes), GPS tracking (over 3 hours over the course of the weekend), streaming music (probably about 2 hours worth) and watching YouTube videos (around 3 hours). My heavier usage is on the weekends so as I said above, I'm perfectly happy with how the device is performing. The battery life is fairly consistent with my prior 6+64, and easily gets me to the end of the day (I unplug weekdays at between 5 and 6 AM and plug in after 10 PM; weekends are later).

ip6splus128_zpsmg8tcgql.png

samfeng

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Mind sharing few of the setting below :-

1) Background app refresh - Do you enable it?
2) Under Location Service > System service, how many of them are enable?
3) Is it connected to apple watch?

1) Background app refresh is turned off
2) Location is turned off
3) Do not own an Apple watch :)

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site

I now have one TSMC and one Samsung. Just got the TSMC today so I'll see over the next few days if I notice a difference in my own personal usage.

My gut tells me I won't notice a difference, but I'm all for being proved wrong.

M_A

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Chipgate" which chip is in your phone? Samsung or TSMC?

I now have one TSMC and one Samsung. Just got the TSMC today so I'll see over the next few days if I notice a difference in my own personal usage.

My gut tells me I won't notice a difference, but I'm all for being proved wrong.

.... so what is the difference? Just very curious ...

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site

.... so what is the difference? Just very curious ...

Still too soon to tell, but I'll share my thoughts after a few days with the TSMC. My usage and battery life varied a lot from day to day with the Samsung, so I'll need to have a few varied days with the TSMC to be able to make any kind of judgement on it.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone benchmarked last year's 6 Plus alongside the 6s+ TSMC/Samsung to see which newer chip falls closer to the battery life in the 6 Plus?

Not that it ultimately matters, but I'd be curious to see that.

starsmoon8a

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

Still too soon to tell, but I'll share my thoughts after a few days with the TSMC. My usage and battery life varied a lot from day to day with the Samsung, so I'll need to have a few varied days with the TSMC to be able to make any kind of judgement on it.

Do you have any results today?

jclif

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Nothing much. The TSMC chip is slightly larger. So early reporting by some tech blogs and articles said it offered more battery life. It got blown way out of proportion. There's really not much difference. I seem to get better battery life with the Samsung chip than many with the TSMC chip. The Samsung chip is the more powerful chip. I think it boils down to what one does and how everything is set in Settings. This whole topic has been a bit ridiculous. I'm enjoying over 12 hours usage time with over 17 hours standby with the Samsung chip. I doubt I would trade for the TSMC chip phone even if I could. I'm happy with what I have.

So the fact that the TSMC chip being slightly larger could contribute to the problem that someone brings up in this post: http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6s-plus/345283-anyone-having-screen-issue.html

I just had to have my 6s plus swapped out that had the TSMC chip AND the dark spot at the bottom of the screen, my new 6s plus has a Samsung chip AND no dark spots anywhere at all.

I didnt know about the chips actually varying in size, thanks for the info.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
So the fact that the TSMC chip being slightly larger could contribute to the problem that someone brings up in this post: http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6s-plus/345283-anyone-having-screen-issue.html

I just had to have my 6s plus swapped out that had the TSMC chip AND the dark spot at the bottom of the screen, my new 6s plus has a Samsung chip AND no dark spots anywhere at all.

I didnt know about the chips actually varying in size, thanks for the info.

Actually, not related at all. I've had 3 Samsung chipped phones, all with varying degrees of this symptom. My latest phone, a TSMC doesn't have the dark spot. And 1 out of the 3 Samsungs I had, the spot was barely noticeable.

I've seen a lot of variation, and no relation to the chip.

jclif

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

Those were Samsung phones with different dimensions, actually thinner. So you're comparing Apples (pun intended) to oranges. I didn't think I had the dark spot on the TSMC iPhone until I turned the brightness all the way up and put it on a blank white screen...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Those were Samsung phones with different dimensions, actually thinner. So you're comparing Apples (pun intended) to oranges. I didn't think I had the dark spot on the TSMC iPhone until I turned the brightness all the way up and put it on a blank white screen...

I just tried that on my Samsung chip phone, and saw nothing but white. I don't think the dark spot thing is related to the chip. I've never seen the dark spot.

jclif

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I just tried that on my Samsung chip phone, and saw nothing but white. I don't think the dark spot thing is related to the chip. I've never seen the dark spot.

That's what I'm saying Samsung chipped phones may not have it since the chip is smaller. If you read the other thread they're saying the spot is a pressure point internally