"Chipgate" which chip is in your phone? Samsung or TSMC?

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Nothing much. The TSMC chip is slightly larger. So early reporting by some tech blogs and articles said it offered more battery life. It got blown way out of proportion. There's really not much difference. I seem to get better battery life with the Samsung chip than many with the TSMC chip. The Samsung chip is the more powerful chip. I think it boils down to what one does and how everything is set in Settings. This whole topic has been a bit ridiculous. I'm enjoying over 12 hours usage time with over 17 hours standby with the Samsung chip. I doubt I would trade for the TSMC chip phone even if I could. I'm happy with what I have.

I have TSMC chip and I leave home at 7AM with 100% battery. Come home at 4:30PM and still have 70% left. My phone also doesn't heat up. How's that for for battery life?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have TSMC chip and I leave home at 7AM with 100% battery. Come home at 4:30PM and still have 70% left. My phone also doesn't heat up. How's that for for battery life?

You're at work all day? You should have at least 70% left unless you don't work and are on your phone instead. What is your usage time at 4:30?

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
You're at work all day? You should have at least 70% left unless you don't work and are on your phone instead. What is your usage time at 4:30?

I use my phone at work all the time. Checking emails, taking notes on Evernote, writing task on wunderlist app, read lots of tech news on flipboard and from time to time check Instagram and Facebook. Not to mention, I listen to podcast while driving to work.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I use my phone at work all the time. Checking emails, taking notes on Evernote, writing task on wunderlist app, read lots of tech news on flipboard and from time to time check Instagram and Facebook. Not to mention, I listen to podcast while driving to work.

That seems kind of high for 70% at 4:30 if you use your phone "a lot at work," cause I don't think I could get that kind of usage out of my phone and I probably use it less than you at this point in time. I couldn't do that on my 6 Plus, either. I'd probably be about 10-15% lower by that time with that kind of usage.

Do you use Low Power Mode a lot, or use your phone predominantly on WiFi at work? The latter is kind of important because WiFi skews perception of battery life. Using it on LTE is probably going to drain your phone twice as fast compared to even a mediocre WiFi connection.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
That seems kind of high for 70% at 4:30 if you use your phone "a lot at work," cause I don't think I could get that kind of usage out of my phone and I probably use it less than you at this point in time. I couldn't do that on my 6 Plus, either. I'd probably be about 10-15% lower by that time with that kind of usage.

Do you use Low Power Mode a lot, or use your phone predominantly on WiFi at work? The latter is kind of important because WiFi skews perception of battery life. Using it on LTE is probably going to drain your phone twice as fast compared to even a mediocre WiFi connection.

Nope, I just have my bluetooth off and always connected to wifi when at work. WiFi makes the big difference.

starsmoon8a

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Chipgate" which chip is in your phone? Samsung or TSMC?

Nah.....I'm on my phone CONSTANTLY. and I'm consistently getting over 24 hrs on a full charge with around 9-14 hrs use. Samsung chip.

The variance in my case has to do with signal strength. When I've got good signal or WiFi I'm in the 14 hr range. When I'm out and about in the back of beyond it's in the 9 hr range.

Oh and I've got the Samsung chip.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Rose Gold 128G iPhone 6s Plus

That's really good..How do you achieve that? Can you share your usage? I able to get long standby time but not on usage time

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I just have my bluetooth off and always connected to wifi when at work. WiFi makes the big difference.

That makes sense then. WiFi and BT being on all the time is a virtual non-issue. Doing most of your data transfer over WiFi instead of LTE is where the difference is. Cause this thing dies just as fast on LTE when in use as any other phone I've used.

The Standby times are amazing. The in-use times are average.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Switched my SG iPhone 6s to a RG 6s on Friday and this one came with the TSMC chip. Needless to say, I'm a believer....battery life definitely went up. Phone also runs cooler, too.

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1447120570.605711.jpg

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
8 hours usage is ok. Not great though. I get 11 and 12 hours usage with the Samsung chip. And it's staying cool since I got rid of Facebook. LOL

I installed Facebook for literally 20 minutes and I could see my battery level drop like a rock. Out the window it went shortly thereafter. My original 6s got 6-7 hours of usage, so the 8 or so is a welcome "upgrade"

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I installed Facebook for literally 20 minutes and I could see my battery level drop like a rock. Out the window it went shortly thereafter. My original 6s got 6-7 hours of usage, so the 8 or so is a welcome "upgrade"

Try friendly+ for Facebook. It's a decent Facebook client. Multiple accounts and color themes.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
8 hours usage is ok. Not great though. I get 11 and 12 hours usage with the Samsung chip. And it's staying cool since I got rid of Facebook. LOL

I'm on TSMC and have Facebook but still have 11 hours of usage with 25% left battery so this could go up to 12 hours or more. Do you have screenshot of your usage?

Last edited:

phobos512

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
My new 6s+128 is a Samsung. Battery did me just fine yesterday; I had charged it on Tuesday when it arrived and I was setting it up, then I left it unplugged overnight setup exactly as my previous 6+64 had been and it was still at 100% when I got up in the morning ~9 hours later (day off from Veteran's day). Did a 2 hour walk with GPS and then normal (or maybe slightly more severe since it's new) use over the course of the day, usual texting, calling, navigating, Instagramming and picture taking and I ended up at 45% when I plugged in at ~11pm. Perfectly adequate for me.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
My new 6s+128 is a Samsung. Battery did me just fine yesterday; I had charged it on Tuesday when it arrived and I was setting it up, then I left it unplugged overnight setup exactly as my previous 6+64 had been and it was still at 100% when I got up in the morning ~9 hours later (day off from Veteran's day). Did a 2 hour walk with GPS and then normal (or maybe slightly more severe since it's new) use over the course of the day, usual texting, calling, navigating, Instagramming and picture taking and I ended up at 45% when I plugged in at ~11pm. Perfectly adequate for me.

Do you have screenshot of your battery usage? This would clearly tell you how much battery you are actually consuming when it's being used and when it's on stand by.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm on TSMC and have Facebook but still have 11 hours of usage with 25% left battery so this could go up to 12 hours or more. Do you have screenshot of your usage?

Post № 125 for my screenshot. I didn't seem to have an issue with Facebook until a few days ago. I noticed my battery going down faster than usual. Abnormally so. On a whim I forced closed Facebook. That stopped the drain. Since then, Facebook has behaved a bit better. But I still keep it force closed when not in use. I've been using Friendly+ more anyways. It's a decent Facebook client.

phobos512

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Do you have screenshot of your battery usage? This would clearly tell you how much battery you are actually consuming when it's being used and when it's on stand by.

I didn't think to take one before I plugged in last night. I'll take one today. Yesterday was a weekend-type usage though so it'll have been significantly different than what I'll see today (signal is pretty bad in my office and I don't use my phone in the normal course of work for the most part so my usage on weekdays is fairly limited until the evening, and since it's a weights day there won't be any GPS tracked walking).

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods