"Chipgate" which chip is in your phone? Samsung or TSMC?

metacuate

May 3, 2013
Visit site
There's no difference in battery life between the 2. I have not seen a single complaint. Might as well close this thread

I have the Samsung and it does heat up. My partner has the TMSC and gets way better battery life than I do, under similar usage patterns. This is an issue.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the Samsung and it does heat up. My partner has the TMSC and gets way better battery life than I do, under similar usage patterns. This is an issue.

You can't compare that way. I have the Samsung chip and get great battery life. The Samsung chip is the more powerful chip of the two. I don't see an issue.
Here's my battery usage sheet from yesterday. I did have Facebook swiped out of multitasking. It was, indeed, draining my battery the day before. I only got about 9 hours usage then.
a30d0e629ec0331f1ff312516104d5cf.jpg

metacuate

May 3, 2013
Visit site
You can't compare that way. I have the Samsung chip and get great battery life. The Samsung chip is the more powerful chip of the two. I don't see an issue.
Here's my battery usage sheet from yesterday. I did have Facebook swiped out of multitasking. It was, indeed, draining my battery the day before. I only got about 9 hours usage then.
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/30/a30d0e629ec0331f1ff312516104d5cf.jpg

Either way it warms up by the earpiece under light usage, which is not normal. I get around 9-11 hours of usage.

Headgas86

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
So why would they put different chips in them? And why Samsung, that's their competitor? And what's the difference? My phone doesn't get hot at all ever. It doesn't even get warm at all. It's always cool. And the batter is fine I'm not a light user and it lasts me all day. And when I get home I still have enough to get me through till I go to bed

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
So why would they put different chips in them? And why Samsung, that's their competitor? And what's the difference? My phone doesn't get hot at all ever. It doesn't even get warm at all. It's always cool. And the batter is fine I'm not a light user and it lasts me all day. And when I get home I still have enough to get me through till I go to bed

Apple has been using Samsung components in its devices for a very long time. I think they are slowly peeling away from Samsung but TSMC simply didn't have the resources necessary to meet Apple's demand this time around. TSMC has been going through some pretty severe financial difficulties which I'm sure contributed to Apple including Samsung-made chips.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Either way it warms up by the earpiece under light usage, which is not normal. I get around 9-11 hours of usage.

I haven't noticed any warming that's not normal. It warms while charging and using at the same time. Or with battery intense apps. But all that's normal.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So what's the difference between the Samsung chip and the TSMC chip?

Nothing much. The TSMC chip is slightly larger. So early reporting by some tech blogs and articles said it offered more battery life. It got blown way out of proportion. There's really not much difference. I seem to get better battery life with the Samsung chip than many with the TSMC chip. The Samsung chip is the more powerful chip. I think it boils down to what one does and how everything is set in Settings. This whole topic has been a bit ridiculous. I'm enjoying over 12 hours usage time with over 17 hours standby with the Samsung chip. I doubt I would trade for the TSMC chip phone even if I could. I'm happy with what I have.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Nothing much. The TSMC chip is slightly larger. So early reporting by some tech blogs and articles said it offered more battery life. It got blown way out of proportion. There's really not much difference. I seem to get better battery life with the Samsung chip than many with the TSMC chip. The Samsung chip is the more powerful chip. I think it boils down to what one does and how everything is set in Settings. This whole topic has been a bit ridiculous. I'm enjoying over 12 hours usage time with over 17 hours standby with the Samsung chip. I doubt I would trade for the TSMC chip phone even if I could. I'm happy with what I have.

I have both chips in my iPhone and I find myself using the Sammy chip more and more each day....LOL

samfeng

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site

I have the sammy chip in my phone, my question is, would the problems (heating, battery life) be able to be fixed by software update?

Cheers..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh