"Chipgate" which chip is in your phone? Samsung or TSMC?

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

cc25309b7a26053acc296f7983b84786.jpg

Samsung chip. Decent battery. Same if not better then my previous 6s plus 128gb. Notice that it says it's been plugged in. I plugged it in then remembered this thread and wanted to add so I screen shotted it for y'all. So 47% is where I ended the day. And I don't notice any heat issues with my chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C.K400

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: "Chipgate" which chip is in your phone? Samsung or TSMC?

I have the sim free version A1634 with the band 30, 6s Plus 128gb Space Grey. It has the TSMC chip and it runs great.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Samsung is the cooler faster chip my some benchmarks. And they even got more battery life on the Samsung chip. There tests were very in depth as always. The tests were so close that it's possible to even get those variances within the same binned chips.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
This is a blog. I do not see any conclusive findings paired with data that's being delivered in a conclusive way. No pie charts, variables, analysis of said variables, etc. It's just a written word with no thesis or proof.

I don't know which chip is better, I could care less. However, if one is claimed better than the other... I definitely think seeing multiple devices, variables, and environmental conditioning in the testing would help prove a point.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk.

There are statistical data analysis and it's long to screen capture it that's why only did the conclusion part. Go to the website and you will see everything in there. They are known to test devices extensively.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

Quoted directly from site:

"Although we believe our results are accurate, they are derived from a sample size of one. We do not know Apple's allowable core voltage range for the A9 or where our particular samples fall within this tolerance band. Our tests also fail to capture the small variability in power consumption for other components like the RAM and display. Therefore, other iPhones may show more or less variance in runtime than our samples."

They do not list their variables. Nor any of the differences in the initial temperature. Nor if settings were exactly the same. Therefore, it's inconclusive. The test did not have infallible consistency.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

I'm sure they know what they are doing when testing a product. This website has build up their reputations. They've been doing this for so many years and they are known to tech world. I'm sure they have considered different variables and settings are the same even though it's not listed. But then again, they said they only have a sample size of one.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

That's the only reason why I'm just not completely convinced. We've had people who own both a Samsung and TSMC chip do the battery test. All of them came out with TSMC getting better battery but Samsung getting slightly better performance. It's not on this forum but another Apple forum. It's a lot of really compelling evidence with a ton of variables....

What they did on this website is not just battery life test but more on a performance with system, graphics, memory and web overall using different tools. They showed the difference in percentage for each category. I think this is a very good test in my opinion. Honestly, I'm a not that disappointed even though I have the TSMC chip. The difference is very minimal.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Ever chip is different. And who cares about a benchmark anyways. Both phones are lasting the same amount of time out in the wild. If this was an issue then there would me about 5 million ppl talking about it.... So far it's been blown way out of proportion by the media. Besides they are the last ones I get my news from. They don't know anything about a processor.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

I'm thinking, each batch of chips is different. They aren't all created equal. Perhaps a new batch of Samsung chips may have been created? Perhaps a certain tweak was implemented. We'd need to find out what week and factory the devices were made in.

This was a very thorough test too, again completely different conclusion. It leads me to think that each batch of chips have inconsistencies. That or there are other hardware variations that we just aren't aware of. It could be the battery supplier, the RAM manufacturer, the display company.... Etc. It might not be so simple as just the chip variation.

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/14/8ee89ec067c87f7f52840fa94171b894.jpg

This is too much work just to prove which one is better than the other. No matter how inconsistent the test results are and how it's being conducted by each testers or reviewers, it always comes down to the same conclusion. Whether it comes out Samsung is better or TSMC is better, the difference is NOT that significant. Both phones performs excellent. Been using my new iPhone 6S plus since launch day and I'm enjoying it. For me, that's all that matters.

btc0526

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Had my 6S+ for 2 full days already, it's a 16GB Space Gray from T-Mobile and it's got the Samsung chip. Performance and battery life are stellar. I don't think anyone should really worry which one their phone has.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/20/4f0f8ddbe17c16ff20a2cf7da08ed888.jpg

No kidding about the face book app

If you use Facebook a lot, it's going to show high. To minimize, toggle location and background app refresh off for Facebook. Neither need to be on. Only turn on location if you want to share where you are (restaurant). Then turn it back off. It's what I do. Also, go to Facebook Settings and turn off video Auto play. That uses a lot of battery.

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the Samsung chip. My phones never have food battery life because I'm always listening to music and such. Doubt the chip has much to do with it.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
If you use Facebook a lot, it's going to show high. To minimize, toggle location and background app refresh off for Facebook. Neither need to be on. Only turn on location if you want to share where you are (restaurant). Then turn it back off. It's what I do. Also, go to Facebook Settings and turn off video Auto play. That uses a lot of battery.

That all is done. The Facebook app is notorious for that. And I hardly ever do much with it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro