Why is there a 16 GB iPhone Plus? Seriously...

GENERALNATTY

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Why would there be a reason other than greed? There is no logical reason other than that for it. 16 gig cards were used in the Iphone 3GS. They get them insanely cheap because they move them in such large volume so either they make a killing off you purchasing a 16gb phone or make a killing off of you paying the premium for the higher end models. Most iphone owners historically have gone for the base model. Its unlikely you will see a 32gb model. I predict the Iphone 7 will come in only the 64 gig and the 128 gig models. and the pricing will be the same as this year's iphone 64gb and 128gb iphone making it a defacto price hike for prospective iphone owners.

daniel.michael4724

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
OK. So we have a thread asking why people would buy a 128GB phone and we now have a thread asking why Apple would sell 16GB phones.
Two opposing viewpoints with one very simple answer:

Customers exist for both configurations.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Rose Gold 128G iPhone 6s Plus

I was thinking the same thing........

Lorenzo Franchitti

May 10, 2015
Visit site
The 16GB phone is probably best for the average user who doesn't download many apps, and mostly streams their media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

veritas_vincit

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Users that tend to use the device heavily for media would require a bigger version, but others like me can live with the 16Gb just fine as I tend to keep the data in the cloud. I don't rely heavily in my iPhone for pictures or videos, as I use those features sporadically, but I do use it a lot for data management in the cloud. So, the 16 Gb version works great for me. In my case the value of my iPhone is based on its encryption (security), iOS Security updates and iOS version managements via OTA or iTunes and, of course, Great quality device.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Can someone please tell me other than greed why Apple doesn't start at 32gb especially in light of 4K video? And please don't tell me how there are people who don't use it for anything other than making phones calls, texting, and surfing (a weak justification IMO). They can step it up regarding the introductory model, right?

Are you serious? Greed? Very weak and ignorant argument. Apple is not a benevolence organization set up to make the world better. Their sole purpose for existing is not to make phones, computers, or tablets. Those are the means to the end, which is earning as much of a profit for the stockholders as possible. As others have said, if you don't like the 16G iPhone, don't buy it. If you have a philosophical or moral problem with Apple's business model, then look elsewhere because there are other options.

jaybalagna

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I have always bought the lowest storage configuration on iPhones and have never had enough problems to justify the higher cost of other storage options. Right now I have more apps than I ever use and still have 2.3 GB of free space. I keep photos and music on the cloud without ever going over my Verizon data threshold and use my phone enough to kill the battery by early evening every day. I honestly just don't need any more storage so there is no reason for me to pay for it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
And why are people buying it is my question? If you can't afford a 32GB or more than just stick to Samsung.

Why not buy a Blackberry? Perhaps I should break out my Motorola StarTAC? (Bonus points for those who remember what a StarTAC is without looking it up). After all, storage options are the ONLY things I look for in a phone.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why the fascination with what iPhone individuals choose to spend their money on. Hey people get what you want.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So a cheap person can waste their investment?

It has nothing to do with someone being cheap or not. It sure isn't a waste of their investment, if that's what they choose. We should all enjoy our iPhones, regardless of storage we choose.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Why not buy a Blackberry? Perhaps I should break out my Motorola StarTAC? (Bonus points for those who remember what a StarTAC is without looking it up). After all, storage options are the ONLY things I look for in a phone.

Aaaaawwwww I loved my StarTac!!!!

bentrovato

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Apple makes a lot of great stuff but the 16gb option is a joke. And the prices they make us pay for extra storage is a further mockery. The entry model should have been 32gb on the iPhone 5s, nevermind the iPhone 7. Too late.

theborderline

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
16gb phones also exist for the corporate customer. Many companies have switched their handsets to iPhones, and prefer to stick with the 16gb versions. Simply because most employees only need 16gb for a 100% business related phone.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Apple makes a lot of great stuff but the 16gb option is a joke. And the prices they make us pay for extra storage is a further mockery. The entry model should have been 32gb on the iPhone 5s, nevermind the iPhone 7. Too late.

You've got your hands on an iPhone 7?!?!! Ooooooo do tell us about it!!!!!!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
16gb phones also exist for the corporate customer. Many companies have switched their handsets to iPhones, and prefer to stick with the 16gb versions. Simply because most employees only need 16gb for a 100% business related phone.

This is absolutely true.

My agency and others in the federal government left BlackBerry and are issuing iPhone 6 phones. We're getting 16GB.

If there were 8GB iPhone 6 I'm sure they would issue those.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
And gov't corporate buyers almost always issue phones a year old as well.

Yup. Sure do.

Right now I'm sitting with an SGS5 that I picked instead of the iPhone 6 because it has a user replaceable battery. Except that I'm having all kinds of trouble with it connecting and staying connected to Good. None of the people in my team who chose iPhone 7 have that problem, by the way.

I can upgrade the SGS5 in one year BUT I'm going to wait until I know that they're giving out the iPhone 6. Because I know that the contract for the iPhone 6 is for two years. So if I want to get a one year old device that I'll have for two additional years and I'll be stuck with year old phones way out of cycle I can get an iPhone 6 now.

So I'm waiting for the iPhone 6s and HOPEFULLY I can get a 6s around January for a two year cycle.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm just going to go with who cares. Apple knows what they Are doing they are the ones making all the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
6splus or 6s? help me guys.

You are going to get completely divided responses to this question. What I'll say is this: If portability is important to you, go with a 6s. If you enjoy a larger phablet type of form factor, get a 6s Plus. The #1 complaint I hear about the Plus is that it's simply too big. That being said you'd have to pry my Plus out of my cold, dead hands (not literally, but I do really love this phone). I love the bigger size and my iPad is now collecting dust when my 6 year old isn't hijacking it.

My advice to you would be to visit an Apple Store (or a carrier store, Best Buy, etc.) and spend a few minutes with both versions. Get a feel for them and choose for yourself. Worst case, you can always trade up or down within 14 days if you make a purchase and then regret your decision. Good luck!