Sound and music quality of iPhone 6s Plus

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Well it's fine for me. Do you need it very loud for a specific reason?

Sometimes it is required, for example if you are in noisy environment, the missed call shouldn't go unnoticed. When you are showing some video to your friends group in you-tube it should be loud and clearly audible.

6 Plus had low speaker and music sound, which was bit disappointed. I was expecting the S-Series to have it better in terms of quality and loudness, Just like the way it was with IP5 where the music quality was compromised to compensate the thickness. But with 5S the music quality was again outstanding. Similarly 6 and 6+ were launched, again the music quality and loudness were slightly lower than its predecessor to compensate thickness. But when they released 6 S-Series instead of improving, it rather went down

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah gotcha. I understand you now. I'll check today but I'm sure by the time I get to the Metro to test it you'll have more meaningful answers than mine.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Rose Gold 128G iPhone 6s Plus

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Ah gotcha. I understand you now. I'll check today but I'm sure by the time I get to the Metro to test it you'll have more meaningful answers than mine.

Thank you. iPhone 5s had the best music quality produced by any smartphone, so if we take it as a benchmark, if 6s Plus comes closer to it, I will be be satisfied with my purchase.

Dukins

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I am a music buff and the sound is just fine for me. It's louder than the 6+ to me. I noticed it immediately. But again it all depends on the sound quality of the content you are watching or listening to. Be mindful of that. Bottomline the speakers are better.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My opinion on it is that you should check out the phone yourself instead of reading reviews and coming up with final thoughts on it...neither of those things are a problem for me at all. I used my phone at the fair last night and had no problems with volume...and music quality? Maybe I'm a minority on this, but when I listen to music with my iPhone, it's 99.9999999% of the time connected to something to play said music through...that said, playing music directly through my iPhone sounds just fine as well.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
What a user is discerning through the iPhone speakers is not audio quality but the acoustical reproduction of the source audio.
One can get a more accurate representation using headphones of the quality of the digital to analog conversion in a device.
The perceived loudness through the speakers can be affected by the build of the device the placement of the speaker in the device and other acoustical situations in the environment and the material of the device.

The loudness through headphones is affected by the DAC chip and amp inside the phone. I've seen test where the "loudness" was higher in a 4S than a 5. I don't think it's a big deal.
I believe the speakers in a iPhone or any phone are for hearing the phone ring and calls. The headphone output is for listening to music and other media. The "quality" of that experience is the judgement of the individual.

Could the quality of the speakers be different in a 6 to 6S? It's possible but I would think it's either the same or better.

If a user wants to listen to some tunes through the speakers there's nothing wrong in that I do it all the time but I don't expect the best listening experience that way. It could be perceived as "better" in this iPhone or that iPhone through the speakers but if one is comparing say a 6 and 6S speakers they should both be brand new out the box. A year old 6 will have experienced some speaker fatigue vs a week old 6S.
Most pro audio speaker A+B test that I'm familiar with are done with two brands of speakers right out the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
My opinion on it is that you should check out the phone yourself instead of reading reviews and coming up with final thoughts on it...neither of those things are a problem for me at all. I used my phone at the fair last night and had no problems with volume...and music quality? Maybe I'm a minority on this, but when I listen to music with my iPhone, it's 99.9999999% of the time connected to something to play said music through...that said, playing music directly through my iPhone sounds just fine as well.

What a user is discerning through the iPhone speakers is not audio quality but the acoustical reproduction of the source audio.
One can get a more accurate representation using headphones of the quality of the digital to analog conversion in a device.
The perceived loudness through the speakers can be affected by the build of the device the placement of the speaker in the device and other acoustical situations in the environment and the material of the device.

The loudness through headphones is affected by the DAC chip and amp inside the phone. I've seen test where the "loudness" was higher in a 4S than a 5. I don't think it's a big deal.
I believe the speakers in a iPhone or any phone are for hearing the phone ring and calls. The headphone output is for listening to music and other media. The "quality" of that experience is the judgement of the individual.

Could the quality of the speakers be different in a 6 to 6S? It's possible but I would think it's either the same or better.

If a user wants to listen to some tunes through the speakers there's nothing wrong in that I do it all the time but I don't expect the best listening experience that way. It could be perceived as "better" in this iPhone or that iPhone through the speakers but if one is comparing say a 6 and 6S speakers they should both be brand new out the box. A year old 6 will have experienced some speaker fatigue vs a week old 6S.
Most pro audio speaker A+B test that I'm familiar with are done with two brands of speakers right out the box.

These minor issues will not stop me from buying an iPhone 6s+. These issues frustrates me. Yes speaker quality is excellent, like bose, its the loudness that is the concern. And yes I always listen to the music using headsets, and it is preferred way. But I am an IT professional, when I go for a tea break, where I and my colleagues are on the same table, if I am showing some video to my colleagues, the sound should be clear and audible to all of them.

Here is another review, that disappointed me. Although this review is of iPhone 6s not +.

Apple iPhone 6s review: The more it changes… - page 7 - GSMArena.com

I find gsmarena review more authentic than other tech sites. What they have written is...

"As usual we've tested the loudspeaker performance of the new iPhone 6s. It is worse than the speaker of its iPhone 6 predecessor and scored a Below Average mark. The sound quality is very good though.

This means you should keep a close eye on your phone in noisy environments, or missing calls is a real possibility."

"The Apple iPhone 6s audio output is identical to that of its predecessor. Sadly that's not very good news as last year Apple took a step back in that regard, and unfortunately it failed to patch things up now."

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd forgotten about this thread.
I used the speaker on the device yesterday while showing friends some YouTube videos. It was loud enough to be heard in a restaurant over regular ambient noise.
As far as missing calls or notifications., not likely. It's easily heard without it being all the way up.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have hearing problems. Music sounds fine with my headphones. But most sounds are too low. Apple only puts volume on the iPhone for those who can hear well. Talking is really difficult at times. The LG my wife used had much better volume. I've had 3 iPhones. All had poor volume for talking.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You're frustrated about something you haven't experienced yourself...I don't think I need to spell out how silly that sounds. Buy the phone, use the phone, and if after you've done this you feel the audio from the device itself is too low, return it or file a complaint with Apple. I show people videos and stuff on my phone all the time...the volume is just fine in said situations. That's me...my experience...your experience may vary, but I can say without question that you can't develop a legitimate review without using it yourself.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It's okay I guess. I wouldn't mind some front facing speakers though.

HTC makes a phone like this. Once again may I suggest checking out our sister site Android Central. In every thread that you have posted in, I've noticed that the features you are looking for resides in some kind of Android device, maybe just maybe Android devices might be best for YOU.

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
HTC makes a phone like this. Once again may I suggest checking out our sister site Android Central. In every thread that you have posted in, I've noticed that the features you are looking for resides in some kind of Android device, maybe just maybe Android devices might be best for YOU.

My dad owns an HTC One M9+ which has a pair of front facing speakers. Despite having boom sound, the loudness looks average. Having loudness is not the primary motive of buying iPhone. There are other good features that I adore.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
My dad owns an HTC One M9+ which has a pair of front facing speakers. Despite having boom sound, the loudness looks average. Having loudness is not the primary motive of buying iPhone. There are other good features that I adore.

The One M8 speakers are a little louder than the M9 series, but the M9 has better clarity. There were lots of complaints on AC about lower volumes. I prefer better overall sound to more volume personally. Anyway, back to the point. I don't think I've noticed a difference between my 6 and 6s Plus.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you think the 6S or 6S Plus isn't loud enough, you should try to listen to how low the highest volume on an iPad Mini 2 is. The 6S will be a like you're at a rock concert.

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

Thegreatone3

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I think QUALITY is just fine. I have noticed that I have to turn up the volume a little more with the 6S Plus (in the car and with headphones) when compared to my 5S.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro