Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
c3af650a120df70343af219a724b8736.jpg

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
My homescreen
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1455729370.460449.jpg

But can anyone tell me why, every time I set an image as wallpaper, iOS takes it upon itself to dim down my image? I can understand with white images but colour ones, it just makes it look a bit rubbish...

Here is a screen shot of the wallpaper before I set it

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1455729464.076050.jpg

A noticeable difference in brightness, and personally I find it very annoying.

It doesn't make sense, I've read it's to do with making text in the status bar readable but it's even doing it to images that are predominantly dark. Also, I can open up an app or look at something in safari with light/bright colours and it doesn't dim the screen, so again, apples reasoning for ruining my wallpaper baffles me 🙁

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
That's interesting. Never noticed but that doesn't surprise me. Do you have that 'Perspective' setting on. Does that make any difference for you?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
My homescreen
View attachment 102502

But can anyone tell me why, every time I set an image as wallpaper, iOS takes it upon itself to dim down my image? I can understand with white images but colour ones, it just makes it look a bit rubbish...

View attachment 102503

It doesn't make sense, I've read it's to do with making text in the status bar readable but it's even doing it to images that are predominantly dark. Also, I can open up an app or look at something in safari with light/bright colours and it doesn't dim the screen, so again, apples reasoning for ruining my wallpaper baffles me

Maybe it has to do with the screen brigthness setting. Do they look fine until you apply them?

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
My homescreen
View attachment 102502

View attachment 102503

It doesn't make sense, I've read it's to do with making text in the status bar readable but it's even doing it to images that are predominantly dark. Also, I can open up an app or look at something in safari with light/bright colours and it doesn't dim the screen, so again, apples reasoning for ruining my wallpaper baffles me

Apple does this to make the screen readable. They do this also with home screen icons where they automatically round the corner and apply lighting to make the icons pop better. I believe they are dimming the wallpaper to make the text overlay on the screen readable. Remember, you're using apple's software within the software license agreement so they can treat the wallpaper any way they feel will best display the iPhone text. I agree with you, but what can you really do?

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Apple does this to make the screen readable. They do this also with home screen icons where they automatically round the corner and apply lighting to make the icons pop better. I believe they are dimming the wallpaper to make the text overlay on the screen readable. Remember, you're using apple's software within the software license agreement so they can treat the wallpaper any way they feel will best display the iPhone text. I agree with you, but what can you really do?

It's been like it for ages but for some reason, it seems worse of late maybe they've made the overlay slightly darker?

I'm aware there's nothing I can do, just never noticed it as much as I have the last few days. Oh well, no big deal really, just wanted to make sure a) I wasn't going mad and b) I wasn't missing a setting somewhere!!

Thanks

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711