Coming Back to Apple

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Anybody who knows me from CrackBerry knows I'm a pretty staunch fan and supporter of BlackBerry. I've been a BB user since the Curve in '07', with several BBOS devices and a couple of BB10's in that time. I still love it, but it's not loving me back. Ironically, the very OS that got me off of physical keyboards is the one that's now leaving me high and dry -- the only new devices coming have keyboards and a slider that's gonna run (EWWW!) Android.

I've never used Android (I can't say it here, but anybody who knows me also knows what I think of Android). My biggest issue with the platform is that finding the right device and flavor of the OS. Ain't got no time fo dat. Android is crap. Ok, there, I said it.

I've never disliked Apple; in fact I've been running a Mac as my primary home desktop for years, and I'm posting this from an iPad Mini. I've just preferred BB more. But now it's becoming more apparent that BlackBerry is losing interest in the consumer hardware market, and my Z30 is getting a little long in the tooth. Being ever the nonconformist that I am, I was strongly considering WP, particularly the HTC One; but it seems WP is doing its share of floundering as well and may not be far behind BB10.

So a few weeks ago I started taking a more serious look at an iPhone and iOS for my daily driver, when I stumbled on the news that Apple would be announcing new devices. I had almost made up my mind, and the new stuff coming in the 6s and iOS 9 sealed it. 6S+ is on the way. I know there are features in BB10 that I'm gonna miss; I'm hoping the other benefits of iOS will make up for that. And maybe I'll see what all the excitement over this app stuff is all about in the process. :smile:

I got my first smartphone in 2004. It was a Nokia 6600, and it's a far cry from the devices we have today. When I bought it I didn't even know it was a smartphone. I just thought it looked cool and it was the only phone with a camera T-Mobile had at the time. Then I went between Windows Mobile and Symbian until 2008 when I got the 3GS. I could never bring myself to get a BB for some reason. I think it's because I've always considered BB more of a business device, and when they did try consumer they brought us things like the Storm. Maybe one day if BB doesn't completely abandon handsets I'll give em a try.

Anyways, hope you enjoy your time with iOS.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if I'll ever go back to 100% iOS. I generally like to have an Android phone and an iPhone. What really sucks is right now I have neither!!! I sold my M9 to back the Nextbit Robin on kickstarter, and already sold my 6 as soon as I got the 9/25 delivery date for my preordered 6s Plus. I'm using a Sony Ericsson w810 I had laying around. This little guy doesn't even have 3G. LOL

Oh wow I remember those Sony Ericssons! Those were very nice phones back in the day if I remember right.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Oh wow I remember those Sony Ericssons! Those were very nice phones back in the day if I remember right.

Yeah, just for fun (and out of boredom) I decided to open up the games section to see what it was like. The game itself was pretty rudimentary as far as the actual gameplay, but for a phone from the mid-2000's the graphics were a lot better than I expected. But damn, typing on that thing sucks!

Mr.Mcgoo

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
My First Smart phone was in 2002, a blackberry and had a few models of that and then tried the Palm treo, next was a windows phone then back to palm and I think I had that when I had the 3S which kept for sometime as I really liked that phone, After that I had numerous Android phones from HTC, Samsung, Motorola and went back to a 4s for a little while and then Nexus, LG and Samsung Note 4. I 'm sure I have left a bunch of phones out. I never disliked either operating system as each has its benefits and I like the Note 4 though updating of the phones sucks and carriers usually screw them up. So I pre-ordered the 6S+ and since I use a MacAir it will be good though I will say I'm not a big fan of iTunes. Looking forward to the change and hope it works out.

Mr.Mcgoo

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a Sony Ericsson w810 I had laying around. This little guy doesn't even have 3G. LOL

Holy crap lol! I had that little Sony phone! I had a Blackberry as a work phone and that phone as a personal phone for like a month because I thought the idea of having an MP3 player phone was a fantastic combo. I don't remember anything about it except that the phone's camera, at the time, was considered quite good!

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Holy crap lol! I had that little Sony phone! I had a Blackberry as a work phone and that phone as a personal phone for like a month because I thought the idea of having an MP3 player phone was a fantastic combo. I don't remember anything about it except that the phone's camera, at the time, was considered quite good!

Yeah, the camera was quite good at the time. To be honest there are bits and pieces that are still comparable to flagships today which is sad.

ndngq

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
From HTC Thunderbolt to Note 2-3-4, I am ready to try out iPhone 6s Plus. I love my Macbook and Apple TV. just never cared for iPhones but I figured I'd give it a try.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Gotcha beat! Just since last fall I've had the following:

Nexus 5
Nexus 6
G3
iPhone 6 Plus
G3
Nexus 6
S6
S6 Active
Nexus 6
iPhone 6 Plus
Nexus 6

I've been hunting the perfect phone and haven't found it. The 6 Plus has been the closest of the bunch, but I recently got rid of it in preparation for the 6s Plus and went back to the Nexus 6. This phone is so slow and huge, drives me nuts. I really liked the S6 but battery life was atrocious. I had to charge at least twice a day to make it all day. That camera was incredible though. And no matter what I did, the phone lagged some. Which was unacceptable in a phone that cost that much and has the specs it had.

That's quite a list!! I forgot I had a BlackBerry Z10 I liked to tinker around on and install leaks, but it hasn't been a daily driver since July '13 (4 months after it launched). I sold it last March to get a Samsung Gear Fit, which marked the first time in about 6 years I've been BlackBerryless!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't *left* Apple since 2009. My first iPhone was the 2009 and I tolerated it but LOVED my BlackBerry 9700. As time went by, and as I got more phones and the companies' offerings changed, I found myself tolerating BlackBerry and LOVING iPhone.
The last BlackBerry I LOVED was the Torch 9810. It was downhill from there. Now I can't stand the devices.
And now I can't imagine not having an iPhone.

In the meantime, I've bought several Android devices and a WP.

I LOVE phones.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I haven't *left* Apple since 2009. My first iPhone was the 2009 and I tolerated it but LOVED my BlackBerry 9007. As time went by, and as I got more phones and the companies' offerings changed, I found myself tolerating BlackBerry and LOVING iPhone.
The last BlackBerry I LOVED was the Torch 9810. It was downhill from there. Now I can't stand the devices.
And now I can't imagine not having an iPhone.

In the meantime, I've bought several Android devices and a WP.

I LOVE phones.

I'm like you, except with Android instead of BlackBerry. I always thought I'd favor Android but I've really grown to love iOS. I still love my Note 3, it's a beast with the ROM it's running.

While I still own a device from every OS (some more than one), I'll keep an iPhone as my daily driver.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm like you, except with Android instead of BlackBerry. I always thought I'd favor Android but I've really grown to love iOS. I still love my Note 3, it's a beast with the ROM it's running.

While I still own a device from every OS (some more than one), I'll keep an iPhone as my daily driver.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

When I was on Android I bagged on iOS users hard especially my friends who used iPhones. I was one of those who called every one isheep LOL. Now that I've been using iPhones again I'm like wow Android users (not all obviously) really are jerks LOL.

The Lannisters send their regards.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
It comes down to what ever work best for those. Some like using stuff that to them is the best thing since sliced bread. while others view it as crap. lol

But again it comes down to effectiveness, stability and over all out come of using a device- hardware and software each day to make sure you have a functional product.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
When I was on Android I bagged on iOS users hard especially my friends who used iPhones. I was one of those who called every one isheep LOL. Now that I've been using iPhones again I'm like wow Android users (not all obviously) really are jerks LOL.

The Lannisters send their regards.

Me too. I realize now just how silly I was for bashing someone over their device choices. So now I remain unbiased and I keep my mind open. We all need to just live and let live.

If you like something, it doesn't mean you can't like other things too. Being put into a self made box only deprives you of new experiences. Right?

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking about trying out an iPhone for the first time myself. I almost went that route back in 2008/2009 when the 3G was new, but someone told me about Android and I saw the upcoming Motorola Droid (I was already on Verizon) and have been on Android since then except for a small run on a Lumia 1020 from 12-13 through February of this year when I couldn't take it any longer and jumped back to Android with a 64GB Moto X Pure. I like it and have no problems with it, but I'm really getting sucked into seriously considering an iPhone.

Mainly due to the better app quality, getting the apps first, getting updates to the apps first, etc. From what I can see though, most of the base OS features I like in Android 5 & 5.1 are actually in iOS and about the only thing I'll miss is homescreen customization. My wife has been an iPhone fan from the start and just ordered a new 6s so I'll get a chance to check it out. Probably would go with a 6s Plus with 64GB on the new Apple upgrade program. Although 128GB for $4 more a month is really tempting too.

anon(49580)

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm with you. I've been a complete android fan from near the beggining (Epic 4g). I've had many other phones. What I want in a new phone is a decent size screen, (not large) a great camera, and a great finger print sensor. There was nothing Android that I see coming down the pipe. I don't care for samsung devices......

So... I have a reservation to pick up my iPhone 6s (gold or space grey.... more than likely gold) next Friday to which I will show up in one of my android shirts... :)

Hoping I don't regret the switch. iOS 9 has resolved one of my sticking points which was a key board that never reflected what case I was typing in. It now shows lower case letters and uppercase letters.
good luck!

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Meh. There are fanboys everywhere, including here(Look up Other Operating Systems & Devices and then look at the note 3 thread and you'll see some fantastic raving iMore fanboyism ? la Crackberry. You'll also see some hypocritical crap as well regarding phablets). Everyone is guilty of it. You just have to recognize it and correct it. The people you have to look out for are those that think their company is the second coming of christ and can do no wrong. Every choice is right and correct and will bring many blessings to their faithful and their progeny.

People need to remember these are corporations that are maximizing their profit. That it's ok to question their motives and decisions and talk about shortcomings. That people A aren't better than people B for using a certain product.

Last edited:

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I've decided to double up with an iPhone and Android phone. The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ is the best phone I've ever used and is the first phone to truly give me a "wow" factor since my 3GS. I'll be swapping the SIM between it and a 6S Plus for a bit and will see if one eventually wins me over. Looking forward to it. Let the games begin. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox