3D touch and Glass protector

MrAdamsD

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry if this is a repeat question, but if I'm planning on using a glass screen protector will 3D touch work properly? That might be a dumb question, I just was wondering because I prefer glass over any other type of screen protector.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I would hold off on getting any screen shields for the new phones until we actually have them. I am sure the major glass screen shield manufactures will test them on launch day to make sure their products work.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No official word yet, but I'm guessing since the 3D Touch function has more to do with the underlying pressure sensors than the actual glass panel itself, the protectors will work just fine with the new devices.

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting since Apple worked with Corning to make a special locally flexible glass screen adding another piece of regular glass on top just might degrade the sensitivity. If you view Apple's own video on how it works, you will note the glass deflecting under the finger pressure, microscopically reducing the distance to the sensor in that location.

Will another thickness of glass require more pressure? Will it spread out the deflection such that the location might be compromised? Perhaps Apple took this into account? But than why develope a special glass?

I'm gonna wait a bit and see?

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I ordered mine today, Spigen has them on Amazon.com for $7.99 each which is really cheap for them.

Just seen this as well. Hopefully it really does work. Spigen along with some other companies already have the "6s" listed as their product name.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't answer for the phone yet but Force Touch on my Apple Watch works fine with a glass screen protector applied.

Sakroz

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
We don't know yet if the glass screen protectors would hinder 3D Touch in anyway but I've ordered one along with the case anyway.

BIGEXXPOPN

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Great question that i also had myself but that no one will be able to answer yet until release day. What im guessing tho is that, like the guy up here said it works well on force touch with the apple watch, then i dont see why it wouldn't on 3D touch. I think Im gonna order one anyway and apply it after a few days of using the phone without it then see if i notice a difference after i apply it.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting since Apple worked with Corning to make a special locally flexible glass screen adding another piece of regular glass on top just might degrade the sensitivity. If you view Apple's own video on how it works, you will note the glass deflecting under the finger pressure, microscopically reducing the distance to the sensor in that location.

Will another thickness of glass require more pressure? Will it spread out the deflection such that the location might be compromised? Perhaps Apple took this into account? But than why develope a special glass?

I'm gonna wait a bit and see?

I also noticed this action during the Apple Keynote, and I've decided to wait on purchasing a glass protector as well.

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I bought a cheap one off Amazon, under $10, so if it doesn't work I won't feel as bad taking it off unlike if I paid $40+ for a zagg one

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
According to the Apple design spec document and Phil Schiller, any screen protector that is 0.3 mm and under in thickness and makes full contact with the phone's screen (no air gaps) will work with 3DTouch.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR