Question about OIS

Vinnio

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering, for anyone who currently owns a 6+ or has tested a 6S+, if the OIS feature for video recording works for other camera apps besides the default Camera? More specifically, Snapchat. I take a lot of my photos and videos on my regular 6 with the Snapchat camera but I have very shaky hands and sometimes taking good photo/video on there is impossible, so I was considering upgrading to the 6S+ purely for the OIS feature.

And for those with a similar problem to mine (shaky hands), does OIS really alleviate this problem? I've never owned a phone with an OIS camera before.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The OIS function is part of the camera hardware, so it's working any time you use the rear facing camera, regardless of what app you use.

As far as actual functionality...I've brought my 6+ on a couple of kayak trips and even with choppy water, the videos came out great...much smoother than even my GoPro.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The OIS function is part of the camera hardware, so it's working any time you use the rear facing camera, regardless of what app you use.

As far as actual functionality...I've brought my 6+ on a couple of kayak trips and even with choppy water, the videos came out great...much smoother than even my GoPro.

Maybe I'm dumb but the apple site makes it appear as if OIS for video recording (not photos) is new this year for the 6S Plus.

iPhone - Compare Models - Apple scroll down to video recording...

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
That is how the pages read on Apple.com it seems it wasn't there last year but I didn't really notice it much on my 6+

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm dumb but the apple site makes it appear as if OIS for video recording (not photos) is new this year for the 6S Plus.

iPhone - Compare Models - Apple scroll down to video recording...

That is very odd...no mention of it at all except in terms of video (which was the original concern from people last year when we were discussion OIS and how it applied to actually using the camera). Truth is, given the nature of the feature, how would you know if it was working at all given the camera was improved anyways. I still kind of stand by the idea that it was a gimmick feature like adding 4K video recording to this thing...

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I really didn't see much of a difference between OIS and the 6 without it. I believe OIS is new for video this year, because last year the focus was on photos but my videos were always focused and clear for the most part.

Travisimo

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, OIS for video recording is definitely new this year. Last year, it was just software stabilization for video and OIS for photos (on the 6 Plus). However, I'm wondering if OIS will work for 4K video as it seems like on my Android phones (like the S6 for example), stabilization cannot be enabled for 4K recording.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR