Preorders

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
This year will be the first time I have ever preordered an iPhone and I am preordering two of them, both 6s Plus 128gb, and was wondering which way is the best way to preorder. I am thinking of doing them both through AT&T because my mother-in-law ordered hers through AT&T last year and got hers on launch day and didn't have to wake up early or anything. So my thought is that I am going to call them when I wake up Saturday and order it through retention. Can you guys give me your experiences, good or bad, with ordering online vs. on the phone with AT&T and online with Apple? I ordered my Apple Watch on Apple.com and got it on launch day so that is my only experience with them and it was good.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
This year will be the first time I have ever preordered an iPhone and I am preordering two of them, both 6s Plus 128gb, and was wondering which way is the best way to preorder. I am thinking of doing them both through AT&T because my mother-in-law ordered hers through AT&T last year and got hers on launch day and didn't have to wake up early or anything. So my thought is that I am going to call them when I wake up Saturday and order it through retention. Can you guys give me your experiences, good or bad, with ordering online vs. on the phone with AT&T and online with Apple? I ordered my Apple Watch on Apple.com and got it on launch day so that is my only experience with them and it was good.

I would personally order through Apple over the carrier as you can also get AppleCare+ with your preorder if you so choose don't think AT&T would let you do that plus I've ordered my watch and 6+ through Apple.com and got both relatively fast I didn't get my phone on launch day because the stupid Apple Store app kept crashing when I tried to order it on midnight last year at an Applebee's LOL. But I did get my watch on time.

The Lannisters send their regards.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I would personally order through Apple over the carrier as you can also get AppleCare+ with your preorder if you so choose don't think AT&T would let you do that plus I've ordered my watch and 6+ through Apple.com and got both relatively fast I didn't get my phone on launch day because the stupid Apple Store app kept crashing when I tried to order it on midnight last year at an Applebee's LOL. But I did get my watch on time.

The Lannisters send their regards.

I don't usually get Apple Care so that doesn't affect me too terribly. I did have a decent experience with ordering my watch through Apple. I woke up at 3am, clicked order, went back to sleep. I was hoping for something similar with the iPhone 6S Plus, but Apple wont let me do the "get setup for preorder" step because my upgrade hasn't been updated in their system or something.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you go back through the pre-order threads for EVERY variant of iPhone, you will find a stark difference in satisfaction between those who pre-ordered through Apple directly and those who did via their carrier. This is just friendly advice to a newbie to the process...DO NOT PRE-ORDER THROUGH YOUR CARRIER...do it through Apple, and enjoy a more consistent and positive experience.

And sit back and enjoy the flood of people who post hostile and angry posts about their carrier pre-order experience who blame Apple for the entire situation, lol. Happens every year.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This will be my first pre-order as well. Normally I don't have an upgrade in September. But since I do now, I'll pre-order. I'll buy from Apple, but on the Verizon 2 year contract plan.

tyler_barnhardt

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I have pre ordered from both my carrier and Apple. Have had much better luck with Apple. You can even have the website pulled up on your computer and also use the Apple App. Thats what I did for the watch. Got it on the first day. Good Luck!!

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Pre-ordering through a carrier is the worst. Did it with the 5s with sprint and the 6 with Verizon. This year will not have a choice since I'm now with us cellular.

Sent from my Space-G iPhone

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The reason Apple can fulfill orders more quickly is they hold back the majority of stock for their stores and online sales since its a higher profit for them. Still if AT&T and Apple's sites crash during the early dawn hours of pre-order day then its a crapshoot on who will arrive on time. For the carriers it can depend on which warehouse you are getting it shipped from and also how much of each color and storage size they can get from Apple, again Apple keeps their stores and online stocked first. My pre-orde will be with Apple since I can do AT&T Next which IS cheaper than Apple's plan since I get $25 off my $40 Smart device charge.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Adding to the pre-order thru Apple vs Carrier. Ordering thru Apple is better, and ordering thru the Apple Store App is even better.

ReeseyKups

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So I realize I'm in the minority here but I have to say that I've had good experiences pre-ordering through my carrier for the last three phone releases. I too receive my phone on launch day. I will however admit that I am up at 3 am to place the order.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
So I realize I'm in the minority here but I have to say that I've had good experiences pre-ordering through my carrier for the last three phone releases. I too receive my phone on launch day. I will however admit that I am up at 3 am to place the order.
Glad to hear this because it is looking like I am going to have to preorder through AT&T. Apples site says "cannot upgrade this account at this time" when I got to check it but AT&T has it as being able to upgrade. If that doesn't change by tonight around 10pm I'm going with carrier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
This will be my first pre-order as well. Normally I don't have an upgrade in September. But since I do now, I'll pre-order. I'll buy from Apple, but on the Verizon 2 year contract plan.
Has there been any word on whether Verizon's new payment plan will be an option when pre-ordering directly from Apple?

I am also considering buying from Apple but on the Verizon 2 year contract plan, but I'm weighing the option to switch to the payment plan.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Has there been any word on whether Verizon's new payment plan will be an option when pre-ordering directly from Apple?

I am also considering buying from Apple but on the Verizon 2 year contract plan, but I'm weighing the option to switch to the payment plan.

As far as I know you can do EDGE as well as a 2 year contract plan. But with Apple offering their own version, I would check first.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
As with all others go Apple. I wish I could but am on a government account and have to go through VZW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site

My first pre-order experience was through my carrier with the 6. Since the websites weren't working when I tried to order at 2:00 am (I tried for about an hour), I decided to go in the store. I was able to pre-order with no issues and I got a call the day before release saying my phone was in, and I could pick it up on release day. I even tried talking the guy into letting me pick it up that same day! LOL

I hope to have the same thing happen this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I was part of the T-Mobile preorder fiasco last year. Hopefully this year is better as I will be doing it again through T-Mobile.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
This is going to be my first pre-order, too. I'm planning on going through Apple, just because it's Apple (I trust them much more than AT&T). Does anyone know if they'll have the fully unlocked version for sale at full price when these go live? I'd prefer to get the unlocked one and not the AT&T version if I can. If I can't then that's fine. But it seems like it would be worth it, for resale if for nothing else.

mnicole03

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I'll be pre ordering for the first time too,but I'm physically going to an AT&T store because I still owe some money on my current iPhone 6 and I realize I'll be behind the 8 ball because they aren't opening til 8am Saturday but I don't feel like dealing with site crashes 💀

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit