I was pleasantly surprised with the way apple designed this feature on the new iPhones and its making me think of changing my plans on waiting for the iPhone 7 to upgrade

its going to change the way we interact with our devices in many ways and i can't wait to see how the developers spin it on there apps
    09-09-2015 07:30 PM
    3D Touch certainly changed my mind about getting the 6s Plus. Gotta have it....SMILE
    kataran likes this.
    09-09-2015 07:36 PM
    So I am confused and maybe I need to re-watch the keynote. I don't get how this is different from what we do today from a hardware standpoint. Even today, we can tap to open an app or long-press to make it moveable or deletable. That is one example, but it shows the difference in pressure touch. How is this 3D Touch different and why is it being touted as such a revolutionary thing? (I am only asking and willing to be enlightened so please don't flame me here). If anything, the additional functionality and menus seems to be more software than hardware related. I'm all ears friends
    09-09-2015 07:40 PM
    So I am confused and maybe I need to re-watch the keynote. I don't get how this is different from what we do today from a hardware standpoint. Even today, we can tap to open an app or long-press to make it moveable or deletable. That is one example, but it shows the difference in pressure touch. How is this 3D Touch different and why is it being touted as such a revolutionary thing? (I am only asking and willing to be enlightened so please don't flame me here). If anything, the additional functionality and menus seems to be more software than hardware related. I'm all ears friends
    Yes, I suggest you watch the keynote again.
    j_benj likes this.
    09-09-2015 07:48 PM
    From what I saw it's a marriage of hardware and software where you can see a preview of another app on a soft second pressure touch and continue the pressure to fully open that app hence 3D

But it's more than that you can bring up menus and multitask.

Your confusing long press with touch pressure I believe?
    Spencerdl likes this.
    09-09-2015 07:48 PM
    I don't know. I watched the keynote again and while I get that you can do previews and access menus and shortcuts, it still just seems to me like they took the standard long press and made it capable of doing more things based on where you were in the phone. I'm sure its more than that, and I hope its more than just a gimmick, but I think I will have to actually try to use it in every day life to truly know.
    kataran and VlogSalad like this.
    09-09-2015 08:03 PM
    I mean I'm sure it will be something pretty cool once it is implemented in our day to day lives (sub-menus looked to function pretty cool with the feature), but I wasn't super excited about it at all honestly. We'll see once it's in my hands though, I wasn't incredibly excited about the touchID feature, and now I can't imagine life without it.
    swarlos and LadiJae like this.
    09-09-2015 08:11 PM
    I don't know. I watched the keynote again and while I get that you can do previews and access menus and shortcuts, it still just seems to me like they took the standard long press and made it capable of doing more things based on where you were in the phone. I'm sure its more than that, and I hope its more than just a gimmick, but I think I will have to actually try to use it in every day life to truly know.
    It's not just long press, it is pressing it harder or with more force. This allows it to differentiate from simply long press. So you would be able to have long press (normal force) and 3D touch (higher pressure/force) on the screen. This leads to more functionality. Does this make more sense?
    09-09-2015 08:35 PM
    It's not just long press, it is pressing it harder or with more force. This allows it to differentiate from simply long press. So you would be able to have long press (normal force) and 3D touch (higher pressure/force) on the screen. This leads to more functionality. Does this make more sense?
    Yes it does thank you. I think I will come to appreciate it more once I am using it, like Sean eluded to. I'll gladly welcome anything that makes the user experience an even better one.
    09-09-2015 08:46 PM
    Getting tactile feedback when you hard press will be a big difference I think. Although they call it something different on the watch, the slight vibration when you press hard, gives a nice feedback on what you are doing.
    09-09-2015 08:51 PM
    There's a lot of possibilities with 3D Touch. I believe app devs will indeed find creative uses. It's a feature I'm excited about. Live Photos will be nice for kids and pets. You'll see folks get creative with it and do funny stuff. Like with Vine.
    kataran likes this.
    09-09-2015 09:07 PM
    On the music reading app I use to edit a chord you have to go to a pencil icon then choose edit scroll to the chord tap it erase it type the correction.
    I could see 3D touch possibly bringing up pop up and inputting the edit from there.
    Going to good stuff going forward.
    Now if a future iPad gets 3D Touch it will foil my plans of getting a Air 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-09-2015 09:14 PM
    Agreed. Most of what I saw in the keynote looked like it could be achieved with a long press. I don't get the excitement about this feature so far. Maybe I'm missing something too.
    09-09-2015 09:18 PM
    Agreed. Most of what I saw in the keynote looked like it could be achieved with a long press. I don't get the excitement about this feature so far. Maybe I'm missing something too.
    Using it on screen may help you see the difference. You may say, "Oh, wow!", or "Hey, cool!".
    09-10-2015 01:04 AM
    Compare a tap to a long press. What's the difference? The amount of TIME your finger was in contact with the screen. You can just rest your finger on a home screen icon and it'll jiggle. On the new screens the difference between a slight press and a deeper press is the amount of PRESSURE applied. Apple has introduce a different measurement.

(The above makes sense to me inside my head. Might be complete gibberish outside of my head.)

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus
    09-10-2015 02:05 AM
    I have a feeling this is a feature that I will use plenty. It looks like something very useful because I like shortcuts on menus.
    09-10-2015 02:08 AM
    I have force touch on my macbook and truth be told, sometimes I forget it's even there. When I do remember most of the time it doesn't really do much; my favorite is the dictionary function. Hopefully with iOS coming with force-touch support we'll see app developers starting to increase support for this tech. It always amazes me that this touchpad is not mechanical, the haptic feedback motor is quite realistic
    09-10-2015 02:27 AM
    Using it on screen may help you see the difference. You may say, "Oh, wow!", or "Hey, cool!".
    Probably so. I'm sure the new capabilities shown in the keynote will be very useful, but I'm still having a hard time understanding how the majority of the 3d touch capabilities demonstrated in the keynote couldn't be be accomplished on current devices with a long press. I hate to be THAT guy by saying this, but a lot of these new menu features were available on the last android phone I used several years ago. So yeah... Maybe a hands on demo will invoke a "oh, now I get it" moment, but I really am not getting it right now.
    09-10-2015 07:23 AM
    I didn't get the chance to watch the keynote yesterday, but I'll be able to watch it this morning. Afterwards, I'll give my take on it in a later reply...
    09-10-2015 07:39 AM
    The 3d touch is cool. Similar to force touch. Well it pretty much Is the same thing

09-10-2015 07:46 AM
    You got a point finn. The 3d touch is cool but definitely not revolutionary. Bare in mind it's the "S" model, so it's supposed to be minor increments. I'm down to upgrade either way

09-10-2015 07:49 AM
    Probably so. I'm sure the new capabilities shown in the keynote will be very useful, but I'm still having a hard time understanding how the majority of the 3d touch capabilities demonstrated in the keynote couldn't be be accomplished on current devices with a long press. I hate to be THAT guy by saying this, but a lot of these new menu features were available on the last android phone I used several years ago. So yeah... Maybe a hands on demo will invoke a "oh, now I get it" moment, but I really am not getting it right now.
    Both the Android long press and 3D Touch provide a secondary touch. (The equivalent of a right click on a mouse). However, long press is slow. You need to place your finger and wait for the response. The 3D Touch is immediately acted upon. Which is why Apple have decided to use the feature to accelerate actions. You can quickly peek at data without losing your place in the current app. This is a great alternative to navigating to a new thing, and then navigating back.
    That seems to be the main difference among others.
    kataran and pantlesspenguin like this.
    09-10-2015 08:30 AM
    Both the Android long press and 3D Touch provide a secondary touch. (The equivalent of a right click on a mouse). However, long press is slow. You need to place your finger and wait for the response. The 3D Touch is immediately acted upon. Which is why Apple have decided to use the feature to accelerate actions. You can quickly peek at data without losing your place in the current app. This is a great alternative to navigating to a new thing, and then navigating back.
    That seems to be the main difference among others.

I do agree that it looks very useful. Will have to see for myself to see whether I agree that it's faster. The long press feature I used a few years ago was not slow.
    09-10-2015 09:31 AM
    Well, on the home screen, a long press brings up the edit app interface and the force touch brings up shortcuts. Two different things. And in the mail app, there are two stages, the peek and pop. You could probably do one with long pressing but not both since taking your finger off to do the second long press would cause the peek to go away.

Those are just two that I remember. I'm sure we will see much more interesting things as developers get time to update their apps.
    09-13-2015 12:30 AM
    Long press is a measure of time and just one function. It's a slower and less effective process. 3D touch is a measure of pressure and can perform multiple functions quickly. The question is what Apple will allow devs to do with it on the home screen. Obviously there are quick actions but maybe it will be a way to quickly glance at information too. Light press a weather app and see a radar or current condition information. Light press a sports app and see your favorite teams score. I honestly think 3D touch is the beginning of the end of the physical home button.
    09-13-2015 01:07 AM
31 12