3D Touch Surprises

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I was pleasantly surprised with the way apple designed this feature on the new iPhones and its making me think of changing my plans on waiting for the iPhone 7 to upgrade

its going to change the way we interact with our devices in many ways and i can't wait to see how the developers spin it on there apps :yes:

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So I am confused and maybe I need to re-watch the keynote. I don't get how this is different from what we do today from a hardware standpoint. Even today, we can tap to open an app or long-press to make it moveable or deletable. That is one example, but it shows the difference in pressure touch. How is this 3D Touch different and why is it being touted as such a revolutionary thing? (I am only asking and willing to be enlightened so please don't flame me here). If anything, the additional functionality and menus seems to be more software than hardware related. I'm all ears friends :)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
So I am confused and maybe I need to re-watch the keynote. I don't get how this is different from what we do today from a hardware standpoint. Even today, we can tap to open an app or long-press to make it moveable or deletable. That is one example, but it shows the difference in pressure touch. How is this 3D Touch different and why is it being touted as such a revolutionary thing? (I am only asking and willing to be enlightened so please don't flame me here). If anything, the additional functionality and menus seems to be more software than hardware related. I'm all ears friends :)

Yes, I suggest you watch the keynote again.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
From what I saw it's a marriage of hardware and software where you can see a preview of another app on a soft second pressure touch and continue the pressure to fully open that app hence 3D

But it's more than that you can bring up menus and multitask.

Your confusing long press with touch pressure I believe?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. I watched the keynote again and while I get that you can do previews and access menus and shortcuts, it still just seems to me like they took the standard long press and made it capable of doing more things based on where you were in the phone. I'm sure its more than that, and I hope its more than just a gimmick, but I think I will have to actually try to use it in every day life to truly know.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I mean I'm sure it will be something pretty cool once it is implemented in our day to day lives (sub-menus looked to function pretty cool with the feature), but I wasn't super excited about it at all honestly. We'll see once it's in my hands though, I wasn't incredibly excited about the touchID feature, and now I can't imagine life without it.

aznhomieboi1689

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't know. I watched the keynote again and while I get that you can do previews and access menus and shortcuts, it still just seems to me like they took the standard long press and made it capable of doing more things based on where you were in the phone. I'm sure its more than that, and I hope its more than just a gimmick, but I think I will have to actually try to use it in every day life to truly know.

It's not just long press, it is pressing it harder or with more force. This allows it to differentiate from simply long press. So you would be able to have long press (normal force) and 3D touch (higher pressure/force) on the screen. This leads to more functionality. Does this make more sense?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It's not just long press, it is pressing it harder or with more force. This allows it to differentiate from simply long press. So you would be able to have long press (normal force) and 3D touch (higher pressure/force) on the screen. This leads to more functionality. Does this make more sense?

Yes it does thank you. I think I will come to appreciate it more once I am using it, like Sean eluded to. I'll gladly welcome anything that makes the user experience an even better one.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There's a lot of possibilities with 3D Touch. I believe app devs will indeed find creative uses. It's a feature I'm excited about. Live Photos will be nice for kids and pets. You'll see folks get creative with it and do funny stuff. Like with Vine.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
On the music reading app I use to edit a chord you have to go to a pencil icon then choose edit scroll to the chord tap it erase it type the correction.
I could see 3D touch possibly bringing up pop up and inputting the edit from there.
Going to good stuff going forward.
Now if a future iPad gets 3D Touch it will foil my plans of getting a Air 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. Most of what I saw in the keynote looked like it could be achieved with a long press. I don't get the excitement about this feature so far. Maybe I'm missing something too.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. Most of what I saw in the keynote looked like it could be achieved with a long press. I don't get the excitement about this feature so far. Maybe I'm missing something too.

Using it on screen may help you see the difference. You may say, "Oh, wow!", or "Hey, cool!".

Pale Wraith

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Compare a tap to a long press. What's the difference? The amount of TIME your finger was in contact with the screen. You can just rest your finger on a home screen icon and it'll jiggle. On the new screens the difference between a slight press and a deeper press is the amount of PRESSURE applied. Apple has introduce a different measurement.

(The above makes sense to me inside my head. Might be complete gibberish outside of my head.)

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I have force touch on my macbook and truth be told, sometimes I forget it's even there. When I do remember most of the time it doesn't really do much; my favorite is the dictionary function. Hopefully with iOS coming with force-touch support we'll see app developers starting to increase support for this tech. It always amazes me that this touchpad is not mechanical, the haptic feedback motor is quite realistic

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Using it on screen may help you see the difference. You may say, "Oh, wow!", or "Hey, cool!".

Probably so. I'm sure the new capabilities shown in the keynote will be very useful, but I'm still having a hard time understanding how the majority of the 3d touch capabilities demonstrated in the keynote couldn't be be accomplished on current devices with a long press. I hate to be THAT guy by saying this, but a lot of these new menu features were available on the last android phone I used several years ago. So yeah... Maybe a hands on demo will invoke a "oh, now I get it" moment, but I really am not getting it right now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I didn't get the chance to watch the keynote yesterday, but I'll be able to watch it this morning. Afterwards, I'll give my take on it in a later reply...:)

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

You got a point finn. The 3d touch is cool but definitely not revolutionary. Bare in mind it's the "S" model, so it's supposed to be minor increments. I'm down to upgrade either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2