Long press is a measure of time and just one function. It's a slower and less effective process. 3D touch is a measure of pressure and can perform multiple functions quickly. The question is what Apple will allow devs to do with it on the home screen. Obviously there are quick actions but maybe it will be a way to quickly glance at information too. Light press a weather app and see a radar or current condition information. Light press a sports app and see your favorite teams score. I honestly think 3D touch is the beginning of the end of the physical home button.
    I doubt that especially with the finger print scanner just coming into existence. I also don't know how you'd enact multitasking cards on iOS without the home button.
    09-13-2015 02:51 AM
    I doubt that especially with the finger print scanner just coming into existence. I also don't know how you'd enact multitasking cards on iOS without the home button.
    Well they already have it set up so you can enact cards with 3D touch at least in some instances. I don't know if you can do it directly in the home screen but you can do it within apps. I said beginning of the end because Apple tends to train users on certain interactions over time before expanding the use of those actions. I'm thinking at some point the fingerprint scanner maybe gets implemented into the screen itself in an area where the button currently is but it will be a special area where by using 3D touch you can replicate the button without having the actual button. I don't see it happening necessarily in the next couple generations of phones but I do think this screen technology enables them to start considering it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-13-2015 08:49 AM
    I'm wondering how we'll delete apps with 3D Touch. If you light press to peek and long press to pop, how will you delete your apps now?
    09-13-2015 07:17 PM
    I'm wondering how we'll delete apps with 3D Touch. If you light press to peek and long press to pop, how will you delete your apps now?
    With long press you're touching the icon for a certain length of time. With 3D touch pop you're adding pressure to the touch.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    09-13-2015 07:48 PM
    If lets say long press is a left mouse button, with 3D touch we are getting right and middle mouse button, you can only do so much with just long press, pressure sensitivity gives it a more dimension and depending on pressure different kind of menus. This also lays the ground work to get rid of the home button. It's gonna happen not if but when.
    09-13-2015 08:00 PM
    Long press without added pressure to the screen.
    09-13-2015 08:03 PM
31 12