Any 6 Plus Users Moving To A Different Phablet Other Than The 6S Plus?

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
First, a little background...

Last year, on launch day, I bought an iPhone 6. I'd planned on buying the 6 Plus but decided against it last minute because I thought it was too big. The 6 was a great phone and I loved it but 9 months later, I bought a Galaxy 6 Edge just to try for 14 days because it was just so beautiful and interesting. Well, it lasted an hour before I switched back and wanted to throw it in the garbage but because I paid full retail in cash, the store didn't have enough cash to give me back the full sum of what I paid and though the manager extended my return period indefinitely, I waited and waited and they just never had enough cash so I just decided to snag a 6 Plus instead for two reasons; I already knew I'd be happy with it (aside from the size, which was a wildcard) as I've loved all my iPhones and I also wanted to try out the size prior to the 6S launch because I knew it would be impossible to exchange a 6S Plus for a 6S or vice versa within the 14 days because as we all know, brand-new iPhones sell out for weeks, sometimes months at launch. So I loved the 6 Plus and the size was actually pretty great. I have huge hands so I was never worried about handling it but the pocket situation wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated, so I was ready and anxious to get my hands on the 6S Plus, that is, until I played with the Note 5 while in Best Buy. I've always wanted to try a Note but since they're always released a month or so after the iPhone, I've never bought one because I'd always just bought the new iPhone. This year, however, Samsung bumped up release to a month prior, and while I thought it seemed nice enough after it was announced, it wasn't until I used it in person that I was blown away by it. The quality is near Apple territory (and it should be since they shamelessly ripped off the iPhone 6 Plus design) and the new, refined version of Touch-Wiz is actually quite nice. The S-Pen is so handy and I constantly use it, but I'm also constantly double-checking myself to make sure I'm not inserting it backwards (Google it if you don't get the reference), which, by the way, if it were an Apple phone with that issue, it'd be on the front page of every paper in the world illustrating just how big of a failure Apple has become - but that's a story in itself. All in all, after the keynote today, I will not be returning the Note. When I bought it, I never expected to keep it, just give it a try since I'd never tried one before. However, it has knocked my expectations out of this world. The only two big drawbacks are the lack of native iTunes syncing because every last bit of my media is in iTunes and the second, possibly bigger drawback, is that the $700+ Watch that I just got on April 24th at 9:05am is now useless. I bought a Moto 360 to go with my Note, but it's not the same. The Apple Watch is worlds ahead of Android Wear, and that gap will only widen with the release of Watch OS 2.

So, I was just curious if anyone else is going to opt for something else this time around? While the 6 Plus and 6S Plus are phablets by nature, they don't seem to take advantage of the screen size the way the Note line does. If there's one phone that I see more people on this forum with that's used in tandem with an iPhone, it's the Note. I always thought it was probably a good phone, but now I know that it's really something special. It just makes me wish that Apple would port over some of the iPad features to the Plus line to really take advantage of the hardware. It didn't feel like as much of a missed opportunity until I got something that truly takes advantage of the larger screen, but now it's hard to oversee. The Note isn't the only other good phone or phablet out there, though, there are also great products from Moto, HTC, other Samsung phones like the Edge Plus), etc.

So, anyway, those are my thoughts and experiences. I'd like to hear from anyone else who's thinking of trying something else or from someone who has tried something else and ended up going back. I should also probably note that if I'd been using Touch Wiz instead of iOS for the past year (9 months of which was a single phone, which is the longest I've ever used a phone without switching), then this story would be reserved. My thoughts about the particulars of the OS's would remain, but I wouldn't be able to use Touch Wiz for that long either without a change. So it isn't that Apple really did anything horrible to lose me, I just needed a changed and noted a few things along the way. :)

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
i respect your decision buddy but the 3D touch more than makes up for the S-Pen in my opinion

I like ForceTouch/3D Touch too on my Watch, but I definitely use the S-Pen way more. But everybody's different! :)

Yeah can't see me switching from iPhones any time soon. And I'm looking forward to the 3D Touch. It seems like it will be a right click menu system on a touch screen device. I am wondering why it has a different name than the ForceTouch on the watches.

It's definitely handy but I don't see it as a game-changer. I do, however, keep trying to Force Touch my Moto 360. :laughing:

And I think they just wanted to make it sound shiny and new, but I prefer the name Force Touch. It sounds more professional. 3D Touch sounds like a toy to me.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah can't see me switching from iPhones any time soon. And I'm looking forward to the 3D Touch. It seems like it will be a right click menu system on a touch screen device. I am wondering why it has a different name than the ForceTouch on the watches.

I believe the 3D stands for three pressure points instead of the two on the watch

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not switching. It's either my current Plus or the S Plus and whatever comes after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
6s Plus here.
I can't have an Android as my daily driver; the delays in updates where you see random carriers releasing an upgrade but not your is enough to keep me firmly in Apple.
But enjoy your Note! I really like my Note 4.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

lowlifeplayer

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
6+ user and I am also considering a change. The note line or a Nexus device maybe...

Very unimpressed with the initial impressions of the phone. I am stunned at the memory sizes available. 16gb...really?

Force Touch (3D) seems like a slow way to access functions. The concept is nice but I just do not want to wait that long to "POP"(although I can see the demise of the home button on the horizon). It will get better with time but for now it is redundant. All the other features should be on the "old" 6+. I was really hoping and still am hoping for 2gigs of ram (I hate browser refresh when not needed).

The camera is nice.
More power is also nice, but what has it really brought to the table?
I really do like the always on siri.

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I will be sticking with Apple products and the 6 Plus for now with the 6s Plus in the near future...SMILE

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Kind of in the same boat as you Jake but the last two years I tried to use a Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 respectively and just couldn't do it. I especially liked lollipop and felt it's been the best upgrade to Android yet, with Marshmallow on the way it will be even better. I might be able to switch back with Android Pay on the way and more phones implementing finger print scanners that's things I probably wouldn't miss but the quality of apps on Android still can't match iOS plus the seamless integration and the fact that I switched back to iOS 3 years ago after 2 years of being on Android so I'm deeply invested in the ecosystem with app purchases and using iCloud for everything. Ugh just don't know I'm going to look at the new Nexus phones this year before upgrading just to check out my options but I'm still an Apple guy through and through especially after coming back.

The Lannisters send their regards.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
No way: I'm sticking with my 6 Plus, I love it, it's flawless.
The specs of the 6s and 6s Plus don't impress me enough to buy a new phone, I'd rather wait until next year.
By then I'll expect SIRI to fire up a holographic Steve Jobs for every single request, the device will make my coffee, it will have the split screen thing, battery life will be tantric in heavy use, users I.Q points will triple with every touch of the screen, $$$ will appear in my bank account everytime I use Apple Pay.

Yes I know, Android's been it for years... :cool:

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I believe the 3D stands for three pressure points instead of the two on the watch

Ah, makes sense.

Not I said the fly.

You're a bee, not a fly.

6s Plus here.
I can't have an Android as my daily driver; the delays in updates where you see random carriers releasing an upgrade but not your is enough to keep me firmly in Apple.
But enjoy your Note! I really like my Note 4.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

Thanks! You were actually someone I thought of when considering the Note because I remembered that you had and liked the Note 4. But the updates are indeed a problem and I don't see it getting resolved anytime soon. It's improved marginally but it'll never be as seamless as Apple, so I think as long as you accept that then you won't be let down. I'm fine with the firmware on the Note 5 but hopefully it'll get Marshmallow soon since the S6 and S6 Edge were updated to 5.1 really quickly. I certainly won't hold my breath, though.

6+ user and I am also considering a change. The note line or a Nexus device maybe...

Very unimpressed with the initial impressions of the phone. I am stunned at the memory sizes available. 16gb...really?

Force Touch seems like a slow way to access functions. The concept is nice but I just do not want to wait that long to "POP". All the other features should be on the "old" 6+. I was really hoping and still am hoping for 2gigs of ram (I hate browser refresh when not needed).

The camera is nice.
More power is also nice, but what has it really brought to the table?
I really do like the always on siri.

I feel the same way. Of course the S updates are always marginal, but this time around it feels minimal at best. Beyond that, though, I'm absolutely stunned that the iPad Pro maxes out at 128GB. I thought it would at least go to 256GB or maybe even 512GB, like the Surface that it'll compete with. The thing is a movie machine so I just can't understand the limitation.

Kind of in the same boat as you Jake but the last two years I tried to use a Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 respectively and just couldn't do it. I especially liked lollipop and felt it's been the best upgrade to Android yet, with Marshmallow on the way it will be even better. I might be able to switch back with Android Pay on the way and more phones implementing finger print scanners that's things I probably wouldn't miss but the quality of apps on Android still can't match iOS plus the seamless integration and the fact that I switched back to iOS 3 years ago after 2 years of being on Android so I'm deeply invested in the ecosystem with app purchases and using iCloud for everything. Ugh just don't know I'm going to look at the new Nexus phones this year before upgrading just to check out my options but I'm still an Apple guy through and through especially after coming back.

I've never owned a Nexus (not a big fan of stock Android... I know, I know, definitely in the minority there) but my boyfriend just bought a Nexus 6 to try out Google Fi and then once I told him about the Nexus announcement coming at the end of the month he returned it and is holding out until then to decide. I'm also much deeper into the Apple ecosystem so it's a big change for me too. I miss iMessage and syncing with iTunes a lot... And my Watch. :(

Possibly. I've always found the Sony Xperia line to be an extremely competent rival to iPhone quality on the Android side, and the Z5 looks like it's going to trump anything the other android OEM's have launched this year. I may even go with something in the $400 range because I'm tired of not taking the blue pill Morpheus keeps holding out to me every upgrade season.

The Z5 is absolutely beautiful and I'd love to see it do well. I played with either the Z3 or the Z4 at the Verizon store and came away rather impressed.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned a Nexus (not a big fan of stock Android... I know, I know, definitely in the minority there) but my boyfriend just bought a Nexus 6 to try out Google Fi and then once I told him about the Nexus announcement coming at the end of the month he returned it and is holding out until then to decide. I'm also much deeper into the Apple ecosystem so it's a big change for me too. I miss iMessage and syncing with iTunes a lot... And my Watch. :(

Since I read what you wrote I've been wondering about your watch cause I know you got the Milanese right? Did you sell it?

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Since I read what you wrote I've been wondering about your watch cause I know you got the Milanese right? Did you sell it?

I do have the Milanese, and I still have it. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
i respect your decision buddy but the 3D touch more than makes up for the S-Pen in my opinion

3D Touch doesn't make up for the S Pen. Honestly you can get what 3D touch offers with the button (or a simple hover) on (with) the S Pen. The Multi-Tasking stuff was already in the S Pen since the Galaxy Note 4. The Context Menus were already in the Note via the S Pen since the Galaxy Note 3. The Peeking inside of Apps and content was already in the Note via the S Pen since the Galaxy Note 3.

Honestly, none of this is new, and I've already used fairly equivalent things on the Note 3 so I sort of tuned that stuff out to be honest... Only difference is you do it by pressing your finger on the screen instead, and you don't have the actual S Pen so outside of the tapping/pressing stuff you're still missing a lot of functionality and precision in a lot of different apps (i.e. any drawing/art app, telestration in sports apps, annotation in productivity apps). The iPad Pro is a testament to how important a stylus is to a lot of users, otherwise they would have just thrown 3D Touch on it and called it a day.

I'm actually thinking about the Note 5. I had the Note 3. The Note 4/5 is a massive camera improvement, and if I'm going to upgrade for OIS to work on Video, I mind as well upgrade to something that's a bigger usability upgrade than the 6S. I certainly don't want to upgrade to another 1GB RAM device and then feel the *need* to upgrade in a year because of a RAM upgrade.

The only thing I needed on the Note was a touch-based fingerprint sensor, and they have that now.

But I'll have to think about it.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Ah, makes sense.

You're a bee, not a fly.

Thanks! You were actually someone I thought of when considering the Note because I remembered that you had and liked the Note 4. But the updates are indeed a problem and I don't see it getting resolved anytime soon. It's improved marginally but it'll never be as seamless as Apple, so I think as long as you accept that then you won't be let down. I'm fine with the firmware on the Note 5 but hopefully it'll get Marshmallow soon since the S6 and S6 Edge were updated to 5.1 really quickly. I certainly won't hold my breath, though.

I feel the same way. Of course the S updates are always marginal, but this time around it feels minimal at best. Beyond that, though, I'm absolutely stunned that the iPad Pro maxes out at 128GB. I thought it would at least go to 256GB or maybe even 512GB, like the Surface that it'll compete with. The thing is a movie machine so I just can't understand the limitation.

The Z5 is absolutely beautiful and I'd love to see it do well. I played with either the Z3 or the Z4 at the Verizon store and came away rather impressed.

A movie machine without Pro Apps to work with them. They kept talking about iMovie, which hasn't received a decent update in how long now? Oh, wow, it supports 4K video... like every other consumer video editor on Windows, which is 5x as powerful as iMovie and comes with a ton of Plug-Ins, Add-Ins, and other features? A video editor without a timeline mode in a "Pro" device? Is the average "Pro" not better off using Premiere Elements on a Surface 3 instead of iMovie on an iPad Pro, and saving a ton of money while they're at it?

So they want you to edit in in iMovie on the iPad and then Sync over iCloud to your Mac, where you then import it into ... Final Cut Pro X? or Premiere Pro? Have they even thought about the workflow?

Meanwhile, you can just... I dunno, INSTALL Premiere Elements/Pro, VideoStudio, PowerDirector, Pinnacle, Vegas, etc. on a Surface 3 [Pro] and get to work... Photoshop, Paintshop Pro... Sound Forge Studio/Pro... Vegas Studio/Pro... ACID Studio/Pro... Audition...

It also amuses me that they'd release this after getting rid of iPhoto and Aperture for Photos, which is an absolute terrible workflow application compared to those it replaced. Why release "Pro" hardware with "less than prosumer" software to go along with it, and pretty obvious workflow gaps for the real professional?

What exactly is "Pro" about this new iPad. It's just a bigger iPad Air 2 with a Stylus and a 1st party keyboard case...

Apple needs to invest in their apps/software more. It seems like they are letting them kind of languish these days, but in order for the iPad Pro to really compete with the Surface in that segment of the market, the software needs to live up to the hardware. The Surface does this easily by running Windows 10.

---

As for Sony's phones on Verizon... Verizon always does the worst customizations to SONY phones on their network. They never carry what Sony actually releases elsewhere. It's always a crippled, heavily changed alternative to the real flagship so I can never touch them.

The Note 5, however, looks very nice and is still cheaper than a comparable iPhone 6 Plus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice