Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisvega

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
The 2GB would be good for multiple safari pages and there are times when I use Fast APP Switching(?) that my phone just reboots.

It would also be good for running multiple apps simultaneously. Apparently, using the combo of Waze (or any GPS map app) and Music/Spotify and switching back between the two using the double click on the home button causes crashes after done a few times.

I've attributed it to the low working ram, but someone said it could also be a faulty controller in the 6S.

And we all know, MORE IS BETTER! ;-)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The 2GB would be good for multiple safari pages and there are times when I use Fast APP Switching(?) that my phone just reboots.

It would also be good for running multiple apps simultaneously. Apparently, using the combo of Waze (or any GPS map app) and Music/Spotify and switching back between the two using the double click on the home button causes crashes after done a few times.

I've attributed it to the low working ram, but someone said it could also be a faulty controller in the 6S.

And we all know, MORE IS BETTER! ;-)

Not necessarily so. Extra RAM will affect battery life - so if it's not necessary, it could negatively affect the experience.

emiandri

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
There were no tech specs at the conference, we need to wait at least one more month to get the entire specs as ram, cpu clock, etc.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I watched the keynote. Unless they whispered it while I looked away for a second they absolutely did not mention the ram.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
There were no tech specs at the conference, we need to wait at least one more month to get the entire specs as ram, cpu clock, etc.

iFixIt will have a teardown and report on the specs within hours of the iPhone 6S/Plus being released on 09/25. That's just over 2 weeks from now.

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I just took my turn at clearing the ongoing petty squabbles, and handed out a bunch of warnings. Site moderators have already asked nicely, I'm asking a little more firmly.
[warn] Stay on topic, discuss the topic, do NOT discuss the other members posting in thread.[/warn]
If this fails to have the desired effect we will try a more robust approach. A few high visibility bans and timeouts just before the weekend usually restores calm debate. And for those who think I won't... please feel free to test the limits of moderator patience, I'm sure your families will appreciate the extra time.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Current smartphone should have 2GB of RAM to better handle multitasking, Android hasn't gone to 3GB & 4GB for nothing they are keeping ahead of the bell curve on having dozens of apps running in the background without impacting system resources.

The iPad Pro looks promising and my wife can have my iPad Air 2 but given Adobe leaked then removed the comment about 4GB of RAM on the iPad Pro says alot. Its there but they weren't supposed to say it. It will need it given the screen, the abilit to run split screen graphic intensive apps. Solid offering and I look forward to it.

iPhone 6S Plus 128GB, two Apple TV's 64GB and the iPad Pro 128GB over the next 3 months along with the Moto X Pure Edition 64GB.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
They never mention battery or ram because they always are on the low end for both. They just talk about the CPU/GPU and the "x hours of battery life, that you will never see in real usage"

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It's huge! LOL

I think if the Mini 4 has only 1GB RAM, I'll move to the iPad Air 2. It's a very solid device with good specs. It's got great reviews about eliminating reloads too. I've got a smaller Android tablet if i need something more portable anyways.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

the iPad mini 4 has 2 GB ram. its the EXACT specs from the ipad air 2 with a smaller display.

side note, 6S and 6S+ both have 2GB ram.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
the iPad mini 4 has 2 GB ram. its the EXACT specs from the ipad air 2 with a smaller display.

Except for the processor. The iPad Air 2 has the A8X and the iPad Mini 4 has the A8.

Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 7.16.09 PM.png
The A8X has three cores clocked at 1.5 GHz, a more powerful GPU compared to the A8 and it contains 3 billion transistors. With the extra 100 MHz, it performs around 13% better on single threaded and 55% better on multithreaded operations than the A8 inside the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Further comparison to the A8 shows that the A8X uses a metal heat spreader, which the A8 does not, and it doesn't use the package on package configuration with included RAM which the A8 does. This is similar to how the older "X" variants, the A5X and A6X, were designed. Instead the A8X in the iPad Air 2 uses an external 2 GB RAM module.

In a first for Apple, the A8X is reported to have a semi-custom GPU. The A8X uses an 8-cluster GPU based on Imagination Technologies PowerVR Series 6XT architecture. Officially, the largest implementation of Rogue is a 6-cluster design, indicating that Apple has made customizations to the design in order to provide higher performance. This GPU is referred to as the GXA6850, with the "A" denoting the Apple customization.

side note, 6S and 6S+ both have 2GB ram.

[citation needed]

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Rumored to be smaller batteries this time around, so doubtful it will be as good as the already meh iPhone 6/6+ battery.

You're one of the only people I have heard refer to the 6+ battery life as "meh"...most people find it above average to good.

They never mention battery or ram because they always are on the low end for both. They just talk about the CPU/GPU and the "x hours of battery life, that you will never see in real usage"

That's one way to look at it...another way would be that they don't address it because in the real world, getting stuck on those numbers is silly when the device itself performs satisfactorily relevant to how the OS uses the hardware they choose to go with. Your comment assumes that the device doesn't perform well with the lower RAM or smaller battery...when that simply is not true at all.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I found my 6 Plus to be average but no better than my Android phones and for Apple to reduce the mAh in the battery and rely on the improved 20nm SoC is not sufficient. Their rumored plans for an even thinner iPhone next year is a joke, consumers want a bigger battery not a thinner device that is already too thin. Yes it sells that isn't the issue, sometimes people but just because others are buying too. I am not saying the iPhone is horrible, but I am saying the focus on thin is akin to glamour magazines and the way we are supposed to see models. Thin isn't the end all be all.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I found my 6 Plus to be average but no better than my Android phones and for Apple to reduce the mAh in the battery and rely on the improved 20nm SoC is not sufficient. Their rumored plans for an even thinner iPhone next year is a joke, consumers want a bigger battery not a thinner device that is already too thin. Yes it sells that isn't the issue, sometimes people but just because others are buying too. I am not saying the iPhone is horrible, but I am saying the focus on thin is akin to glamour magazines and the way we are supposed to see models. Thin isn't the end all be all.

Apple is making what consumers want. Again, like the RAM discussion...most people don't care about battery specs as long as they get a sufficient amount of battery life on a full charge under normal use (and that is what every smart phone on the market gives you right now). Beyond that, it is foolish to think the cosmetic appeal and the continued slimness of the device isn't a popular draw to the iPhone. I mean I get it, we like to nit pick these things to pieces on here...at the end of the day though, most people don't...the battery is sufficient, the thinness is attractive and the RAM is irrelevant because the iPhone works above and beyond what most consumers want and need.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who doesn't think that more RAM makes a difference in iOS should pick up an Air and an Air 2. There is a noticeable difference between the two and I for one hope that the 6S has 2GB or I'll most likely skip it this time around. I love Apple products but for them to not put 2GB of RAM into what is already a very expensive phone to me is cheating the customer a little bit.

On a side note I do think it has 2GB of RAM but the fact that it wasn't mentioned nor is it listed anywhere on their site does make me a little skeptical.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who doesn't think that more RAM makes a difference in iOS should pick up an Air and an Air 2. There is a noticeable difference between the two and I for one hope that the 6S has 2GB or I'll most likely skip it this time around. I love Apple products but for them to not put 2GB of RAM into what is already a very expensive phone to me is cheating the customer a little bit.

On a side note I do think it has 2GB of RAM but the fact that it wasn't mentioned nor is it listed anywhere on their site does make me a little skeptical.

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree with the following statement:

"....for them to not put 2GB of RAM into what is already a very expensive phone to me is cheating the customer a little bit."

In what way are they cheating the consumer, especially when the consumer does not have to purchase their product or when the device works just as well, if not better than competitors devices with 2 or more GBs of ram?

Last edited:

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

"....for them to not put 2GB of RAM into what is already a very expensive phone to me is cheating the customer a little bit."

In what way are they cheating the consumer, especially when the consumer does not have to purchase their product or when the device works just as well, if not better than competitor device with 2 or more GBs of ram?

Just my opinion. It could easily be done while improving the phone. Just because they have the best phone doesn't mean they have to cheap out on the RAM because they can. The Air ran fan and was easily the best tablet out there but they improved it with the iPad Air 2. Just seems like they could do the same for the 6S.

Last edited:

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

In what way are they cheating the consumer, especially when the consumer does not have to purchase their product or when the device works just as well, if not better than competitor device with 2 or more GBs of ram?

Yeah, my LG G3 had 3GBs of RAM and didn’t function as well as my iPhone 6 Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR