Status
Not open for further replies.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The Ram has never stopped me from buying a iPhone. The Ram has never made the iPhone experience less enjoyable for me.
I have zero interest in any other phone.
If I get the 6S Plus I'll open the box restore from backup and keep it movin.
I don't have time to try a Note, a Moto whatever or HTC. 1 Gig of Ram has never stopped me from doing anything. 512 in my IPad 2 hasn't stopped me from using it in a professional setting for the last 4 years.
I hear folks saying its a "toy if it doesn't have this or that."
It's a toy if that's how one uses it.
I guess some folks need 2 Gig if Ram to post video of their cat doing back flips on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
If the iPhone needed more RAM, I'm pretty sure the engineers at Apple would put in more RAM.

Our bodies need multiple nutrients, we don't always give them that. Defining "Need" and separating it from "Want" can be rather difficult. These engineers can make an iPhone run at the minimum standard to keep it functional just as we can feed our bodies junk to do the same. While some people will argue that doing more is a "Want", is it really? If you eat healthier, you may just prolong your life and well-being. Just as if the iPhone has more RAM, won't it become more future viable in the world of 64 bit gaming, multitasking, etc?

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Now here's an very intelligent answer to why Apple does what it does:

Servicing RAM uses power. So more memory = more power consumption.
Android apps using Java, recycle released memory using garbage collection.

main-qimg-7b0b85d0255f900b5d4e6dc15800d464.png

What this diagram shows is that garbage collectors are really awesomely fast if you have a relative memory footprint of 4 or 8.
In other words, you need four or eight times more memory, than you are actually using to be super efficient. But when the memory becomes constrained, that performance goes way down.
This is why Android devices have all that RAM.
iOS does not use this style of garbage collection and does not slow down in constrained memory environments.
So 1GB for iOS results in more performance than 3GB for Android.

Thanks to Glyn Williams for helping Armchair Engineers understand their iOS devices a little more thoroughly ...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree to a point. I'm not sure why RAM can't be desired though.

I think it SHOULD be desired...as consumers, any bump in power should be desired, otherwise, why are we paying for new phones every year? What we see here so often though is an approach to this as if the iPhone NEEDS these spec bumps to be "relevant" to the rest of the market. Now to be 100% honest, if the phone does exactly what you want it to do, it really shouldn't matter who or what thinks the iPhone isn't good enough.

In this forum setting, when people are clamoring on and on about how the iPhone is behind the curve because of it's internal specs compared to other smart phones, these little scuffles start...people like to stir the pot by MAKING "news" and saying that one device or another is not good enough for whatever reason. 2GB of RAM would be awesome! Hell, 4GB of RAM would be even better...and I'm sure they could do it easily...if it doesn't need it though, why sit here and make it seem like the device is a 3rd rate symphony?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
With the ipad pro rumored at 4gb, 2 just isn't enough. I want more. I want it now. I'll wait til Nov and buy an ipad..lol

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 90986

What this diagram shows is that garbage collectors are really awesomely fast if you have a relative memory footprint of 4 or 8.
In other words, you need four or eight times more memory, than you are actually using to be super efficient. But when the memory becomes constrained, that performance goes way down.
iOS does not use this style of garbage collection and does not slow down in constrained memory environments.

Thanks to Glyn Williams for helping Armchair Engineers understand their iOS devices a little more thoroughly ...

Performance does not always equate into stability. So it's good at a benchmark, that's great. That's not what I'm discussing. I'm bringing up the reloads and app crashes. Those are tell tale signs of memory being allocated elsewhere. It's unable to maintain an active frame in the background as it's prioritizing the current active application.

This can be inconvenient if you are moving between two apps and copying a source of information. This can be very irritating when an active application has a minor RAM leak/spike and it crashes out.

Sometimes more power consumption is needed for certain tasks. I went to the Apple store yesterday and was told by a gentleman named Josh:

He is unsure but believes that the 6s plus would definitely appear to have 2GB RAM. His reasoning is that a graphic intensive game he's tried to play with his 6 plus, it would continually crash or not even load. Where on the demo 6s plus, it loads smoothly and had zero crashes. This is not related to processor as the game itself "Recommends 2GB or higher".

While I wish I could remember the name of the game (Kinda bad memory, got too much on the mind), I think what he explained, it made sense. Though, I'm wondering now if it's only the Plus that'll get 2GB. It's the only device that got OIS, and has a higher PPI. It's likely, right?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
With the ipad pro rumored at 4gb, 2 just isn't enough. I want more. I want it now. I'll wait til Nov and buy an ipad..lol

It's huge! LOL

I think if the Mini 4 has only 1GB RAM, I'll move to the iPad Air 2. It's a very solid device with good specs. It's got great reviews about eliminating reloads too. I've got a smaller Android tablet if i need something more portable anyways.

typhonx

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Multi-tasking on my 6 Plus was hit or miss. I would be writing out my reply in Tapatalk or some other app and switch to Safari to look something up. I would then go back into Tapatalk and it would reload losing what I wrote. Not all the time but some times. It was incredibly annoying when it did. It's going to haunt users more since Apple seems to be putting more emphasis on multi-tasking. I hope they either fix this somehow by putting priority on user apps or give the phone more ram

This happens to me ALL the time. It is the main reason i considered going to android. Lots of people think that its the apps fault and not the ram. The coder needs to set the right "Sleep state" or something.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's the reddit thread. Guy even provides a screen shot to prove he has access to the site. Doesn't provide one that shows 2GB because that sheet has his employee watermarks all over it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/3ka86y/no_mention_of_ram_in_new_iphone_or_ipad_pro/cuwb6sz

I'm sure this goes without saying, but Reddit, many times, should be taken with a very fine grain of salt, lol. Not to say this isn't likely to be true, just that reddit...lol...yeaaaahhhh.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

4GB is overkill specially in tablets imo unless whatever specialty apps for the pro needs it but as it is now nothing on ios or Android for that matter needs 4GB. I can almost argue the same for 3GB

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 90986

Yes Android does that and that's why it's different and why it "needs" more RAM but I think 2GB is fine for Android unless your slapping a skin like touchwiz on it. 2GB is fine for most phones imo. Even if they added 2GB in the 6 plus I think it could handle it in terms of battery life

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
4GB is overkill specially in tablets imo unless whatever specialty apps for the pro needs it but as it is now nothing on ios or Android for that matter needs 4GB. I can almost argue the same for 3GB
What?? You're arguing there's such a thing as too much RAM now?? Quelle surprise, pardon my French...

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
What?? You're arguing there's such a thing as too much RAM now?? Quelle surprise, pardon my French...

Because 4GB is just overkill even for Android. It's just becoming a spec to sell with Android with Samsung selling the Note 5 with 4GB of LP-DDR 4 ram which is better then the DDR3 ram in other phones. The thing is 75% of the people who buy smartphones probably can't tell you the difference nor feel the difference probably.

1GB is quite low because if the safari tab loading and etc and 2GB will fix those issues. Anything higher is just overkill

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Because 4GB is just overkill even for Android. It's just becoming a spec to sell with Android with Samsung selling the Note 5 with 4GB of LP-DDR 4 ram which is better then the DDR3 ram in other phones. The thing is 75% of the people who buy smartphones probably can't tell you the difference nor feel the difference probably.

1GB is quite low because if the safari tab loading and etc and 2GB will fix those issues. Anything higher is just overkill

:laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox