Status
Not open for further replies.

Pale Wraith

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok. Tabs reloading in Safari. You guys are making think a bump in RAM is more of a need for others than I previously thought.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Multi-tasking on my 6 Plus was hit or miss. I would be writing out my reply in Tapatalk or some other app and switch to Safari to look something up. I would then go back into Tapatalk and it would reload losing what I wrote. Not all the time but some times. It was incredibly annoying when it did. It's going to haunt users more since Apple seems to be putting more emphasis on multi-tasking. I hope they either fix this somehow by putting priority on user apps or give the phone more ram

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The RAM would be a big deal for the Plus. I'm seeing where the 6S plus still basically has OIS and of course better battery over the 6S. Same resolution as 6 Plus which still means it's rescaling.

I'm thinking 6S over this. OIS wasn't a big deal for me. Battery is, but I can live with that. The only thing that would lure me is more RAM.

The 6S Plus has OIS for Video, which I'm not sure I care all that much about.

It has a 12MP Camera and 4K recording. The camera on the 8MP phones is already really good, and 4K video is still not practical on a wider scale (too many performance problems on lower end machine, and you need a monster PC to edit it efficiently - unless you're using proxy files in the editor).

I think the 6 series was a great time to upgrade, cause the iPhone 7 [Plus] is likely going to be where they upgrade the display resolutions, RAM amount, design and give it some of the bigger upgrades that are coming now to the iPad Pro (Faster Storage and Memory Bandwidth, etc. which they didn't even mention for the iPhones - and something Samsung's phones have now, so its odd they didn't use the better SoC in the new iPhones). Also, they clearly mentioned that the iPad Pro was going to have "more memory" than the iPad Air 2, so it seems odd they would mention it for that device and then conveniently forget about it if the iPhones had more RAM, considering it would have garnered them a ton of positive press - something they never object to.

3D Touch is something I'd likely turn off immediately, as I'm not interested in it and the iPhone is the only device I'd own that would use that. It would only cause headaches as I move from device to device, similar to how half their iOS devices lack Touch ID and you find yourself trying to unlock your iPod with your fingerprint, etc. I've tried the new Trackpads they have in the Apple Store. I'm not interested in that.

Performance gains are ignorable to me as no software on these devices push the hardware in any meaningful way, anyways. The only time it makes a difference is when you're pushing a ton of pixels (Retina iPads, iPad Pro), and that's just not the case for the iPhones. That's more an issue for Android Flagships, which have pretty much standardized on 2K displays these days.

I'm going to seriously consider the Note 5, though I need to do some reading up on Android L before I make a decision. I do feel like some of the specs and design decisions are a bit of a hindrance in their devices, though not enough to seriously complain about them. I'm not upgrading just to have OIS work on Video, which is the only thing I'd probably care about in the new phone on a day to day basis - not without some other selling points that actually matter to me [personally].

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Only two gigs ? I hope it has four, but even better would be eight. Keep people from squawking about the amount of RAM in iOS devices. I'm getting a headache.

On a totally unrelated note, I can't believe Apple is still marketing devices with 16 gigs of storage. They should streamline to two models 64 and 128. And drop the prices on those two buy at LEAST $50

I haven't seen anyone answer the question yet, did I miss it?

And no one can. The problem is a few people are confusing RAM and storage.

I think what gets me is when I'm attempting to copy information from a browser to notes, inevitably I'll have a reload. Either that or I'll get a reload on a manga series I'm reading. It's enough to annoy me...

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

Use another web browser like Atomic. Ten tabs, no reloading. Of course I use Safari most of the time, but the one big feature of Atomic is that I can tell it to announce itself as Desktop Safari (among others).

He is always snarky. I could probably take screenshots of a bunch of posts that are snarky ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah, don't worry about it. He's one of our more "experienced" members. Love unconditionally, and please, stay off his lawn... ;)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just said this on another thread... fits here too...

This whole "spec envy" discussion is a response to conditioning... other companies have relied on marketing and concentrating on spec numbers to draw comparisons... people think that a bigger number on a line on a spec sheet is better.... well - crappy code on 2GB RAM is going to suck compared to tight, well written code on 1GB RAM... smart people know this...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Just said this on another thread... fits here too...

This whole "spec envy" discussion is a response to conditioning... other companies have relied on marketing and concentrating on spec numbers to draw comparisons... people think that a bigger number on a line on a spec sheet is better.... well - crappy code on 2GB RAM is going to suck compared to tight, well written code on 1GB RAM... smart people know this...

I agree to a point. I'm not sure why RAM can't be desired though. On the Air 2, it does lead to a better experience. And the experience is what Apple is all about right? Plus Phil is up there summing up specs. 1.7x faster. 2x faster this. 80 billion times faster than the original. 7 zillion pixels. He even went into technical junk no one cares about in discussing the camera upgrade. But bottom line is updated specs lead to a better experience. That better experience doesn't just come about on its own.

It's just RAM. One or 2 lumps? Not rocket science. Not a misunderstood spec like camera megapixels. It doesn't need a Jony Ive video. It's simply RAM.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree to a point. I'm not sure why RAM can't be desired though. On the Air 2, it does lead to a better experience. And the experience is what Apple is all about right? Plus Phil is up there summing up specs. 1.7x faster. 2x faster this. 80 billion times faster than the original. 7 zillion pixels. He even went into technical junk no one cares about in discussing the camera upgrade. But bottom line is updated specs lead to a better experience. That better experience doesn't just come about on its own.

It's just RAM. One or 2 lumps? Not rocket science. Not a misunderstood spec like camera megapixels. It doesn't need a Jony Ive video. It's simply RAM.

One would think!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There are "opportunity costs" of 1 vs 2 in power consumption for one... but since we don't know until the iFixits of the world get a phone and tear it down, it's rather futile to kvetch over it until it is truly known what's inside...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
There are "opportunity costs" of 1 vs 2 in power consumption for one... but since we don't know until the iFixits of the world get a phone and tear it down, it's rather futile to kvetch over it until it is truly known what's inside...

Agreed.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I don't care if the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus has 2 GBs of RAM or not because I am still enjoying the heck out of my iPhone 6 Plus. Maybe I'll want the newer phone later on, but as of right now, my 1 GB iPhone 6 Plus is more than sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.