That powerfully fast A9 chip may make all the difference. 70 times faster than A8. Wowser!
    70% faster mate not times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-10-2015 08:06 AM

Thanks. That's what I meant.
    09-10-2015 08:07 AM

Yep, it was a long day! LOL. Thanks!
    Sekelani Zwambila likes this.
    09-10-2015 08:09 AM
    That's 1.7 times faster
    I meant 70% faster. Long day.
    09-10-2015 08:12 AM
    Yep, it was a long day! LOL. Thanks!
    If it was 70 times, I'd be all over it. LOL
    09-10-2015 08:12 AM
    Just said this on another thread... fits here too...

This whole "spec envy" discussion is a response to conditioning... other companies have relied on marketing and concentrating on spec numbers to draw comparisons... people think that a bigger number on a line on a spec sheet is better.... well - crappy code on 2GB RAM is going to suck compared to tight, well written code on 1GB RAM... smart people know this...
    Mr.Willie and Not Quite Right like this.
    09-10-2015 08:22 AM
    Just said this on another thread... fits here too...

This whole "spec envy" discussion is a response to conditioning... other companies have relied on marketing and concentrating on spec numbers to draw comparisons... people think that a bigger number on a line on a spec sheet is better.... well - crappy code on 2GB RAM is going to suck compared to tight, well written code on 1GB RAM... smart people know this...
    I agree to a point. I'm not sure why RAM can't be desired though. On the Air 2, it does lead to a better experience. And the experience is what Apple is all about right? Plus Phil is up there summing up specs. 1.7x faster. 2x faster this. 80 billion times faster than the original. 7 zillion pixels. He even went into technical junk no one cares about in discussing the camera upgrade. But bottom line is updated specs lead to a better experience. That better experience doesn't just come about on its own.

It's just RAM. One or 2 lumps? Not rocket science. Not a misunderstood spec like camera megapixels. It doesn't need a Jony Ive video. It's simply RAM.
    xankazo likes this.
    09-10-2015 08:31 AM
    Didn't mention battery life either
    It's listed on the Apple website. Same as iPhone 6.
    09-10-2015 08:34 AM
    I agree to a point. I'm not sure why RAM can't be desired though. On the Air 2, it does lead to a better experience. And the experience is what Apple is all about right? Plus Phil is up there summing up specs. 1.7x faster. 2x faster this. 80 billion times faster than the original. 7 zillion pixels. He even went into technical junk no one cares about in discussing the camera upgrade. But bottom line is updated specs lead to a better experience. That better experience doesn't just come about on its own.

It's just RAM. One or 2 lumps? Not rocket science. Not a misunderstood spec like camera megapixels. It doesn't need a Jony Ive video. It's simply RAM.
    One would think!
    09-10-2015 08:34 AM
    There are "opportunity costs" of 1 vs 2 in power consumption for one... but since we don't know until the iFixits of the world get a phone and tear it down, it's rather futile to kvetch over it until it is truly known what's inside...
    nikkisharif and LewLew23 like this.
    09-10-2015 08:37 AM
    There are "opportunity costs" of 1 vs 2 in power consumption for one... but since we don't know until the iFixits of the world get a phone and tear it down, it's rather futile to kvetch over it until it is truly known what's inside...
    Agreed.
    09-10-2015 08:46 AM
    Personally, I don't care if the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus has 2 GBs of RAM or not because I am still enjoying the heck out of my iPhone 6 Plus. Maybe I'll want the newer phone later on, but as of right now, my 1 GB iPhone 6 Plus is more than sufficient.
    09-10-2015 09:04 AM
    You're right, a Jony Ive video isn't needed when just a plain old youtube video will work.
    PS- Skip forward to the 1:00 minute mark to get to the meat & potatoes ...
    09-10-2015 09:16 AM
    The Ram has never stopped me from buying a iPhone. The Ram has never made the iPhone experience less enjoyable for me.
    I have zero interest in any other phone.
    If I get the 6S Plus I'll open the box restore from backup and keep it movin.
    I don't have time to try a Note, a Moto whatever or HTC. 1 Gig of Ram has never stopped me from doing anything. 512 in my IPad 2 hasn't stopped me from using it in a professional setting for the last 4 years.
    I hear folks saying its a "toy if it doesn't have this or that."
    It's a toy if that's how one uses it.
    I guess some folks need 2 Gig if Ram to post video of their cat doing back flips on Facebook.

nikkisharif and Wildo6882 like this.
    09-10-2015 09:25 AM
    If the iPhone needed more RAM, I'm pretty sure the engineers at Apple would put in more RAM.
    Our bodies need multiple nutrients, we don't always give them that. Defining "Need" and separating it from "Want" can be rather difficult. These engineers can make an iPhone run at the minimum standard to keep it functional just as we can feed our bodies junk to do the same. While some people will argue that doing more is a "Want", is it really? If you eat healthier, you may just prolong your life and well-being. Just as if the iPhone has more RAM, won't it become more future viable in the world of 64 bit gaming, multitasking, etc?

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.
    LewLew23, xankazo and jdhooghe like this.
    09-10-2015 09:27 AM
    Now here's an very intelligent answer to why Apple does what it does:

Servicing RAM uses power. So more memory = more power consumption.
    Android apps using Java, recycle released memory using garbage collection.

No 2GB ?-main-qimg-7b0b85d0255f900b5d4e6dc15800d464.png

What this diagram shows is that garbage collectors are really awesomely fast if you have a relative memory footprint of 4 or 8.
    In other words, you need four or eight times more memory, than you are actually using to be super efficient. But when the memory becomes constrained, that performance goes way down.
    This is why Android devices have all that RAM.
    iOS does not use this style of garbage collection and does not slow down in constrained memory environments.
    So 1GB for iOS results in more performance than 3GB for Android.

Thanks to Glyn Williams for helping Armchair Engineers understand their iOS devices a little more thoroughly ...
    Closingracer likes this.
    09-10-2015 09:30 AM
    I agree to a point. I'm not sure why RAM can't be desired though.
    I think it SHOULD be desired...as consumers, any bump in power should be desired, otherwise, why are we paying for new phones every year? What we see here so often though is an approach to this as if the iPhone NEEDS these spec bumps to be "relevant" to the rest of the market. Now to be 100% honest, if the phone does exactly what you want it to do, it really shouldn't matter who or what thinks the iPhone isn't good enough.

In this forum setting, when people are clamoring on and on about how the iPhone is behind the curve because of it's internal specs compared to other smart phones, these little scuffles start...people like to stir the pot by MAKING "news" and saying that one device or another is not good enough for whatever reason. 2GB of RAM would be awesome! Hell, 4GB of RAM would be even better...and I'm sure they could do it easily...if it doesn't need it though, why sit here and make it seem like the device is a 3rd rate symphony?
    09-10-2015 09:31 AM
    With the ipad pro rumored at 4gb, 2 just isn't enough. I want more. I want it now. I'll wait til Nov and buy an ipad..lol
    09-10-2015 09:38 AM
    Now here's an very intelligent answer to why Apple does what it does:

Servicing RAM uses power. So more memory = more power consumption.
    Android apps using Java, recycle released memory using garbage collection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	main-qimg-7b0b85d0255f900b5d4e6dc15800d464.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	90986

What this diagram shows is that garbage collectors are really awesomely fast if you have a relative memory footprint of 4 or 8.
    In other words, you need four or eight times more memory, than you are actually using to be super efficient. But when the memory becomes constrained, that performance goes way down.
    This is why Android devices have all that RAM.
    iOS does not use this style of garbage collection and does not slow down in constrained memory environments.
    So 1GB for iOS results in more performance than 3GB for Android.

Thanks to Glyn Williams for helping Armchair Engineers understand their iOS devices a little more thoroughly ...
    Performance does not always equate into stability. So it's good at a benchmark, that's great. That's not what I'm discussing. I'm bringing up the reloads and app crashes. Those are tell tale signs of memory being allocated elsewhere. It's unable to maintain an active frame in the background as it's prioritizing the current active application.

This can be inconvenient if you are moving between two apps and copying a source of information. This can be very irritating when an active application has a minor RAM leak/spike and it crashes out.

Sometimes more power consumption is needed for certain tasks. I went to the Apple store yesterday and was told by a gentleman named Josh:

He is unsure but believes that the 6s plus would definitely appear to have 2GB RAM. His reasoning is that a graphic intensive game he's tried to play with his 6 plus, it would continually crash or not even load. Where on the demo 6s plus, it loads smoothly and had zero crashes. This is not related to processor as the game itself "Recommends 2GB or higher".

While I wish I could remember the name of the game (Kinda bad memory, got too much on the mind), I think what he explained, it made sense. Though, I'm wondering now if it's only the Plus that'll get 2GB. It's the only device that got OIS, and has a higher PPI. It's likely, right?

09-10-2015 09:50 AM
    With the ipad pro rumored at 4gb, 2 just isn't enough. I want more. I want it now. I'll wait til Nov and buy an ipad..lol
    It's huge! LOL

I think if the Mini 4 has only 1GB RAM, I'll move to the iPad Air 2. It's a very solid device with good specs. It's got great reviews about eliminating reloads too. I've got a smaller Android tablet if i need something more portable anyways.

Closingracer likes this.
    09-10-2015 09:55 AM
    Multi-tasking on my 6 Plus was hit or miss. I would be writing out my reply in Tapatalk or some other app and switch to Safari to look something up. I would then go back into Tapatalk and it would reload losing what I wrote. Not all the time but some times. It was incredibly annoying when it did. It's going to haunt users more since Apple seems to be putting more emphasis on multi-tasking. I hope they either fix this somehow by putting priority on user apps or give the phone more ram
    This happens to me ALL the time. It is the main reason i considered going to android. Lots of people think that its the apps fault and not the ram. The coder needs to set the right "Sleep state" or something.
    09-10-2015 10:29 AM
    Interesting article. There is a source link embedded in it as well. Apple Sales Rep claims both the 6S and 6S Plus to have 2GB RAM.

iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus feature 2GB of RAM - GSMArena.com news
    09-10-2015 10:35 AM
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-10-2015 10:35 AM
    Interesting article. There is a source link embedded in it as well. Apple Sales Rep claims both the 6S and 6S Plus to have 2GB RAM.

iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus feature 2GB of RAM - GSMArena.com news
    I've seen more articles than not that it does have 2gb. The great thing is that both have it. Makes the 6S even more appealing. And wait til next year to see if a redesign makes the Plus more tolerable.
    09-10-2015 10:49 AM
    Here's the reddit thread. Guy even provides a screen shot to prove he has access to the site. Doesn't provide one that shows 2GB because that sheet has his employee watermarks all over it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...ad_pro/cuwb6sz
    09-10-2015 10:52 AM
188 12345 ...