Why is Iphone 6 and older still for sale?

Maximax

Feb 4, 2019
Visit site
Why does some retailers (Various Countries), still sell Iphones like the Iphone 6 when it may not be supported by Apple anymore i.e. no more software upgrades which means apps may stop working etc?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
iOS 12 will work with iPhones as old as the 5s so even an iPhone 6 will foreseeably receive software support through at least iOS 13, maybe longer. Furthermore, people buying smartphones like the iPhone 6 that were released almost five years ago generally aren’t concerned with having the latest and greatest version of iOS.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I should also add that many users have simple needs. My grandmother, for example, wouldn’t notice a difference between an iPhone 5 and an iPhone XS nor would she even care. There would be no reason to pay all of the money for a current generation iPhone when an older, cheaper model would suit her needs.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why does some retailers (Various Countries), still sell Iphones like the Iphone 6 when it may not be supported by Apple anymore i.e. no more software upgrades which means apps may stop working etc?

There is no harm in selling older devices. People do it all the time whether at a garage sale, eBay, Swappa, Craig’s list, or here in the iMore Marketplace.

That old device can end up being the best device someone has ever had.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It's still a viable device, and for some people, it's what they can afford. I have a friend who is almost 80. She just got her very first iPhone... and it's a 6. For her, that is more than sufficient. She is unsure of her expectations and so I think this is a perfect fit for her.

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Some people like my father-in-law just want a phone as a telephone. HE does not use the camera or any apps. However, he does want a reasonably large screen to see the characters.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'll probably hold onto my 7+ until it dies. I'm one of those who don't need a new device every tear.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
- Very little beyond bells and whistles that differentiate current OS running on 6 vs current models. iOS coasting on fumes; the phones, on Macolytes who 'need' latest and greatest, or their 'old' phones have crapped out.
- Cheaper to purchase.

A discounted battery swap is going to keep my 6 running for at least as long as it takes for it to no longer be capable of an updated iOS (which will force upgrading, which Apple desperately needs us to do), or it going up in a puff of smoke on its own.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
- Very little beyond bells and whistles that differentiate current OS running on 6 vs current models. iOS coasting on fumes; the phones, on Macolytes who 'need' latest and greatest, or their 'old' phones have crapped out.
- Cheaper to purchase.

A discounted battery swap is going to keep my 6 running for at least as long as it takes for it to no longer be capable of an updated iOS (which will force upgrading, which Apple desperately needs us to do), or it going up in a puff of smoke on its own.

If I had an iPhone 6 and liked it, I wouldn't upgrade just because it didn't get the newest OS. If it doesn't get iOS 13, it would still be fine on iOS 12.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
If I had an iPhone 6 and liked it, I wouldn't upgrade just because it didn't get the newest OS. If it doesn't get iOS 13, it would still be fine on iOS 12.

I agree in principle, Ledsteplin. The problem here is that Apple makes a point of never maintaining (fixing old problems / issuing security updates) past OSs (iOS or Mac) - and between sloppy coding on their part or the ongoing efforts by bad individuals, it leaves users of older devices on older OSs susceptible to security and usage issues. Apple's support path is 'use the most recent or don't get help'. This would be a reason I would have to buying a more recent iPhone - not the newest bells and whistles.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree in principle, Ledsteplin. The problem here is that Apple makes a point of never maintaining (fixing old problems / issuing security updates) past OSs (iOS or Mac) - and between sloppy coding on their part or the ongoing efforts by bad individuals, it leaves users of older devices on older OSs susceptible to security and usage issues. Apple's support path is 'use the most recent or don't get help'. This would be a reason I would have to buying a more recent iPhone - not the newest bells and whistles.

With my first iPhone 6s Plus, I stayed on iOS 10.1.1 for 3 years. I had no issues with security or anything. Apple has excluded older phones from the new updates for years. But it's usually been real old models. Rumors say this year may be different, as they say iOS 13 might exclude the 5s, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, and 6s Plus. Only the 7 and up will get it. I hope those rumors are not true, as I'm on a brand new iPhone 6s Plus.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Running and owning the latest and greatest is the biggest PR stunt in recent history.

My parents use and are satisfied with there 4 and 4s iPhones and we communicate fine back and forth my dads 4s FaceTimes without an issue and internet is flawless that all he cares about