Should I get my very old iPhone 6 battery replaced?

Daveybells

Aug 18, 2018
Visit site
Long story short, I want to get into the whole apple ecosystem (eventually) and what better way to start it by using an iPhone. However, I don't want to spend almost $800 on a current generation iPhone just to realize that it's not my cup of tea. I got an old hand-me-down iPhone 6 (not 6s) that has seen better days, but the battery is the real killer (has 51% battery capacity according to the "battery" section in the iPhone settings). It shuts down at around 70% battery life or so after using apps like FB or YouTube and drains super fast, so I'm planning to replace it while the $30 battery replacement is still available. My only concern is the battery life even after a new battery is placed; for a phone that is almost 4 years old, I'm concerned that the battery performance will be sub-par at best since we're at ios 11.4 already.

In this case, is it still worth it to replace the battery of an iPhone 6? How good is the battery life of a brand new iPhone 6 (or an old iPhone 6 with a brand new battery) running on ios 11.4? I'm not desperate to get this thing running or anything; I use a different phone as my daily driver. I'm just hoping that this iPhone is still usable (as a daily driver) so it won't go to waste.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it may be worth getting the battery replaced on your iPhone, under the circumstances you mentioned.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
For $30 you get an operational phone. Why not?
Now granted, the current iOS does no favours as far as stress on the battery is concerned, but again, if you're looking at using the phone to see if it's 'your cup of tea', then this is just about the cheapest way to do it.

And, if it doesn't end up being your daily driver, then at least you've got a decent music player.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
The 6 is still a very functional phone. Running my 6 plus on iOS 12 betas and it runs great. There is some noticeable lag at times compared to the 8 plus I used for a week, but not enough to spend the upgrade money just a few weeks before the new ones are announced. Still hope to use my 6 plus for another year or two if it will make it then maybe upgrade then.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711