How often do you restart/soft reset?

PJD642

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
Coming from a BlackBerry Q10 (I tried the KEYone but Android just didn't work for me), I used to restart my phone every morning when I got up. My nephew upgraded recently and gave me his 6, which I absolutely love.

I haven't seen any commentary on here as to whether reboots/restarts are necessary or not with the iPhone. I double-click home and close apps, but I wonder how long the OS can run before it starts developing quirks and needs to be rebooted.

The phone is on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Am I worried about nothing? Thoughts?

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
iOS is optimized to run very well even with many apps in the RAM, so you don’t have to worry about any slow down or crashes. There’s absolutely no need to keep restarting or opening the app switcher too often.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and iOS. I’m a former BlackBerry user, so I remember the days when I would reboot my device weekly. As stated earlier iOS is optimized and runs great without rebooting or closing apps. Just enjoy your iPhone.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and iOS. I’m a former BlackBerry user, so I remember the days when I would reboot my device weekly. As stated earlier iOS is optimized and runs great without rebooting or closing apps. Just enjoy your iPhone.

Exactly....Welcome to iMore and just ENJOY your iPhone.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Probably every 3-4 months. However, given the dying battery of my iPhone 6, it drains to 0% once a month or so although it is not intentional.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With the exception of trying to put the device in DFU mode, I rarely reboot my iPhone.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Mostly just for beta updates and there were quite a few there for a bit, but very rarely do I manually hard reboot.

Jeff6146

Nov 3, 2017
Visit site
I hard reset (reboot) when neccessary. I rarely soft reset (slide to power off).

how do you reboot? someone posted on here something about push the power button until the slide to power off comes on then do something else until the screen goes blank. i think the home button. i’ve tried and tried but seri keeps coming up.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
how do you reboot? someone posted on here something about push the power button until the slide to power off comes on then do something else until the screen goes blank. i think the home button. i’ve tried and tried but seri keeps coming up.

Depends on which phone you use. Not sure about the iPhone X and 8.
7 Reset:
Hold the power/wake button and the volume down button at the same time until the Apple logo appears. Then release.
older phones:
Hold the top or side power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

Jeff6146

Nov 3, 2017
Visit site
someone said something about clearing the ram so your phone is faster and he specifically said a lot of people double tap the home button and swipe all their apps clear but that actually takes more ram and battery to restart those apps again

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Since I am often on a beta build I reset/hard reboot my devices once a week. So there is no cruft around to cause issues on the betas

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73