IPhone 6 , battery + lagging issues

greatkeen

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi fellas,

No intention of starting arguments in or against any phone brand pls.

So I purchased my iPhone 6 - 64 GB, international unlocked variant back in March 2015 , brand new.

I Blv since updating to iOS 9 or somewhere... It started to get slowed. Not drastically OR suddenly... But over a period of time.

While I have always kept software fully updated and currently it's on latest iOS version.

I find it way too slow, performing basic tasks such as opening whatsapp facebook etc.

So I am wandering what is it that I have wrong?

It's not jail broken or anything. Yes I got probably 100 apps or so with 5K+ pics etc... But still 20+ GB free in disk space...

So what did I do wrong?

Second major issue I am facing is about poor battery timing.. Since the very beginning I have been very cautious and took extra care always about my charging habits etc. I have battery doc app also installed and it still shows my phone battery health score as 5 ..

But on full 100% charge, it gives me hardly half day worth... With screen on time not more than 1.5 hrs even... I have thoroughly checked for any app causing this drainage but nothing.. All is clear...

So is it usual battery life that finished? Or any thing which I am again missing here?

Since this is my first and only iPhone experience I am quite confused... As to what's all the fuss about with iPhone? Yes software support is excellent but what good if it slowly kills the Device? Secondly are the hardware components such as battery... Really of such poor quality? Not even 2 yrs?

Thanks guys appreciate any help and apologies for such a long rant.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ll start with the battery issue. What’s the level of brightness the device is set on? Low, medium or high? How often is the display active, specifically for long periods of time? Have you checked the settings to see if the usage and standby times are identical? That’s the problem. It typically means you have a rogue app or setting. Now in regard to sluggishness, I recommend you start fresh and new. In other words, put the device in DFU mode and have iTunes install a fresh full copy of iOS and then set up the device as new instead of from a backup.

greatkeen

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I’ll start with the battery issue. What’s the level of brightness the device is set on? Low, medium or high? How often is the display active, specifically for long periods of time? Have you checked the settings to see if the usage and standby times are identical? That’s the problem. It typically means you have a rogue app or setting. Now in regard to sluggishness, I recommend you start fresh and new. In other words, put the device in DFU mode and have iTunes install a fresh full copy of iOS and then set up the device as new instead of from a backup.

Hey Brother , Thanks for quick reply . Let me answer :

1) brightness is set on 'Auto' , but most of the time i am in doors and brightness is at 20% avg , whilst in outdoors it of course goes to 100% but time spent outdoors is very less . Hope this clarifies ?

2) yes checked in all apps , been keeping an eye on Battery usage for past 3-4 months now .. NO app seems to be draining the battery . On Screen usage of All apps is more than background usage , meaning no app stays open in background , after i have closed it . NO rouge app , thoroughly checked it .

3) Yes , i have been thinking of simple phone wipe from settings . NOT the whole re installation of the iOS (for now) . ONLY concern is getting back all the apps , got 100 + there , be too cumbersome to install them back ?

But if were to take this step , is installing the whole iOS again any better than performing a simple phone format from the options given in settings ?
Since in both cases all user data is wiped off , so yeah might as well do the re-installation of the iOS .

Alternatively , i wait till Sept (for iOS 11) and instead of doing the usual OTA update , i do the installation via DFU and iTunes ??

SORRY for too many questions , but i come from extensive android background where things are very simple & easy . Havent experimented with iPhone at all . But looks like now will have to .

Thanks again mate for your feedback .

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I would not wait for the new OS to come up.
Do the wipe and install new OS and set the phone back up. This will allow you to compare battery usage with the same OS as you have now, assuming you did keep the OS up to date and you have 10.3.2 on there.
Its one less variable you have to worry about when comparing before and after the wipe.

greatkeen

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I would not wait for the new OS to come up.
Do the wipe and install new OS and set the phone back up. This will allow you to compare battery usage with the same OS as you have now, assuming you did keep the OS up to date and you have 10.3.2 on there.
Its one less variable you have to worry about when comparing before and after the wipe.

Agreed brother.

So any concise and easy guide to whole software re-installing? What are my options?

Pics I will backup. What about apps? Will they be backed up or clean wipe and fresh app installations? App data such as whatsapp etc is of my use and I would want to keep.

Thanks .

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Assuming your backing up your phone with iCloud then enable everything, then put phone in DFU mode and hook up to a computer with iTunes. Once thats done restore your phone with the most recent back up.

Theres plenty of documentation out there on how to do it.

greatkeen

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Assuming your backing up your phone with iCloud then enable everything, then put phone in DFU mode and hook up to a computer with iTunes. Once thats done restore your phone with the most recent back up.

Theres plenty of documentation out there on how to do it.

SO i am reading up on this before doing the actual stuff and am bit confused .

1) https://support.apple.com/en-md/HT201252
this seems pretty easy .

2) iOS: Everything about DFU and Recovery Mode - AppleToolBox

this is bit difficult and i really need to read & understand more of this DFU and Recovery .

SO a quick question , is there any advantage of doing the wipe via DFU / Recovery way over the simple iTunes restore (method 1) ?

I have made a backup of my current state iPhone using iTunes already .

Thanks .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR