Is there A Radio App Without WIFI For Iphone 6?

Goslats

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
I've been searching the internet and can't seem to get to the bottom. Would like to listen to the radio without using data. Thanks

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Any music streaming will use cellular data. You might make an offline playlist of sorts by recording songs you listen to. TuneIn Radio Pro offers that.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about iPhone, but I understand all Android phones have a FM receiver built-in, yet few use it. Weird.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yup makes sense. One of the Qualcomm snapdragon chips has FM but most of the wireless carriers in the US decided to disable it. But it was not till a public push that people wanted it to be active that an update to the devices (thinking HTC One M10) was created.

Goslats

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
Thank you Tartarus...thank you for sharing that with us.

I take it with all the radio apps available they will still burn up data is that right everybody?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Tartarus...thank you for sharing that with us.

I take it with all the radio apps available they will still burn up data is that right everybody?

I suppose it does use a bit of data. I mostly use mine on WiFi for music and talk radio. When out and about, I listen to my offline music. Test it and see how much data it uses. First go to settings > Cellular > scroll all the way to the bottom > Tap reset statistics. Then use. When done, go back and see how much was used.

Goslats

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
I've got ATT with an iphone and they told me a more accurate, up-to-the minute way to check usage is to dial *3282# and it will respond with a text msg in about 10 seconds with data usage. Give it a try.

FendrGuitPlayr

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
If you have GarageBand you can always record from Pandora and save songs (playlist) to
listen to when away from wifi - no data use and your fave songs.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
If you have GarageBand you can always record from Pandora and save songs (playlist) to
listen to when away from wifi - no data use and your fave songs.

This seems a convoluted route to 'free' music - and burning thru data (or needing active wi-fi) an expensive way to listen to local radio and news. I have set up a few FM radio stations thru apps, but it really is too bad that devices that have a FM chip don't offer that free, low-tech option. But that likely cuts into 'somebody's' profit margin. And we can't have that, can we?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
This seems a convoluted route to 'free' music - and burning thru data (or needing active wi-fi) an expensive way to listen to local radio and news. I have set up a few FM radio stations thru apps, but it really is too bad that devices that have a FM chip don't offer that free, low-tech option. But that likely cuts into 'somebody's' profit margin. And we can't have that, can we?

There is also can also be the issue of interference with the cell radio and or Wi-Fi and or Bluetooth radios, which we don't want either. Since Qualcomm bakes the FM radio compatibility into their chipset, there shouldn't be too much problem with interference. Though, since Apple doesn't use the Qualcomm chipset exclusively, as in the iPhone 7, Apple has been using Intel radio chipsets too, that may present a problem keeping device features consistent among iPhones.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
There is also can also be the issue of interference with the cell radio and or Wi-Fi and or Bluetooth radios, which we don't want either. Since Qualcomm bakes the FM radio compatibility into their chipset, there shouldn't be too much problem with interference. Though, since Apple doesn't use the Qualcomm chipset exclusively, as in the iPhone 7, Apple has been using Intel radio chipsets too, that may present a problem keeping device features consistent among iPhones.

Well, lack of consistency between iPhones / iPads is nothing new (see 3D Touch from 6S and later, for example), so 'adding' another feature can hardly be an issue. And Apple usually encourages new features as important reasons to upgrade - but again, FM Radio access likely does little to encourage buying additional add-on apps at the App Store, so little interest from Apple.
Interestingly enough, I've recently noticed FM tuners on both Samsung and Lenovo Android tablets - but they are less dependent on profit from sales in app stores.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234