Questions on restoring an iPhone 6

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone is starting to do some quirky stuff. Delays on gestures, Phone calls not disconnecting, not pairing with various BT devices like it used to. These dont happen all at once just random on random days. No pattern. It's not like I can predict when one of these will happen. Phone also seems much slower opening and changing between apps. For instance, The text app will open but it can take 2-3 seconds for the keyboard to show up. After the 10.2 update Siri has become more ignorant than before. Names she used to get are now so far off I'm wondering WTF is wrong with the system. Is it possible that a restore will fix some of these things? should I wipe the phone and restore from backup or is that just a waste?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...Is it possible that a restore will fix some of these things?
Yes, indeed, barring any hardware problems.
should I wipe the phone and restore from backup or is that just a waste?
Being that you don't know whether or not the problem resides solely with iOS, an app or a setting, I recommend that you take the time to set up as new. In fact, I recommend you do more than "erase all contents and settings". Put the device in DFU mode, and have iTunes download and install a fresh full copy of iOS by selecting "restore" and then "restore and update".

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, indeed, barring any hardware problems. Being that you don't know whether or not the problem resides solely with iOS, an app or a setting, I recommend that you take the time to set up as new. In fact, I recommend you do more than "erase all contents and settings". Put the device in DFU mode, and have iTunes download and install a fresh full copy of iOS by selecting "restore" and then "restore and update".

When I do this, I have to manually get all my stuff? What about important stuff like texts and contacts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When I do this, I have to manually get all my stuff?
Yes, that's correct.
What about important stuff like texts and contacts?
If your contacts, calendars, notes, reminders, email, photos, videos, and other files are associated with a cloud account like iCloud, Gmail, Outlook.com, etc., then once you've configured that account on your device, that stuff will sync to it. Text messages are a different story. Having said that, setting it up as new is just my personal recommendation. Restoring from a backup may be all that's needed. Anyway, whichever method you choose is fine by me...

bigtruck1369

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
My 6 is acting funny now too. My battery life is pathetic and it's started to freeze constantly. I know I need to do a restore as described above, but it's been tough carving out time to do it and knock my phone out of commission for a few hours!