iMessage causing any SMS or email-originating messages to not play notifications

a3k3

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi all!

iPhone 6; iOS 10.1.1

When iMessage is turned ON, messages coming in from email addresses or that are defaulting to SMS (i.e. anything that is NOT being sent via iMessage) do not play a sound or light up the iPhone's screen. The messages are received but, if I'm away from my phone for any length of time, I miss the realtime receipt because I don't hear the sound notification.
The only solution I have found that works is: turn iMessage to OFF.

Now that most cell phone plans have unlimited SMS anyway, it really doesn't matter if iMessage is on or not in that regard. It might reduce some of the special new functionality available though.

I have read a ton of forum posts about this and haven't found my answer. To be clear, the problem for me was NOT any of the following:
- DND settings
- Sound switch off
- Bluetooth connected to a speaker or Airplay device

however, it could be that this applies only to people who also use an Apple Watch actively that is always connected via Bluetooth to the phone. The reason for this (I think) is that the bug has to do with the notification being lost when the device tries to decide whether or not it should send the notification to the watch or to the phone.

Thanks - hope this helps some people. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings → General → Reset, and then select "Reset All Settings". Afterwards, reconfigure your notification sounds.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro