iPhone 6 after a week

604ac

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I've been and Android user for almost 7 years. I rooted and flashed custom ROMs to make the most of the device and enjoyed it. There comes a time for change though and I made a big one about a week ago. I purchased the iPhone 6.

My personal finding so far: Fantastic. Now, I'm a knowledgeable computer guy who likes playing around with settings so getting used to the iOS environment was easy. That's the thing though, I really like how simple it is to get around. Set and forget, everything does "just work" and very well. Apps seem far more refined than Android's equivalents. Another major plus is OS updates, this is a huge issue on the Android side; and it's not Google's fault, it's lazy OEMs and carriers who fail their customers. Google has a Nexus line which does get updates but the screen size is too big for my liking. 4.7" fits in any pocket I have and is non-obtrusive. I heard a lot saying Apple is behind, "we" have octo-core processors and 3GB RAM, etc, etc. Well, that is because of bloated software both on the OS and app side, plain and simple. I'd rather have "less" and get more any day. What took me so long? Well, I'm here and like the iPhone 6 a ton, thanks Apple.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and we hope you continue to enjoy your new toy. Take care...

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hey there!
Welcome to the Dark Side :D

I'm glad you joined us!! And it's SO well said, I think I'll save that and show it to people who say 'iSheeps are behind. We have multi-gigabytes of RAM devices...' and ask them to tell me more about their laggy Note 5 with 4GB of RAM.

I have a 6s, which 'only' has half the RAM but it's incredibly fast and sharp.

Good points about the OS updates and bloated software too!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and Welcome to Apple. I too have asked myself that same question "what took me so long?" . Enjoy the site

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Curious. Why does there have to be one or the other? Why do so many people have to make it seem what they aren't using at the time is inferior? Can't people see there is amazing technology that excels from more than one company? I don't understand these kind of posts. I for one absolutely love the awesomeness of my Android and Apple tech.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Curious. Why does there have to be one or the other? Why do so many people have to make it seem what they aren't using at the time is inferior? Can't people see there is amazing technology that excels from more than one company? I don't understand these kind of posts. I for one absolutely love the awesomeness of my Android and Apple tech.

I wouldn't have both an HTC One M9 and an iPhone 6s otherwise!

604ac

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site

Android is great, the problem is, is the carrier and OEMs, which I mentioned. They sell you the phone and release updates very late or never. This includes security updates, which in my opinion is a number 1 issue. A phone is with you all the time, you are using it constantly. We all need up-to-date security upgrades.

This is going beyond what I wanted to discuss however, to be honest Google is too big now, they have their hands deep inside your personal life. Have you logged into your Google account (if you have one) lately and checked to see how much tracking and info they have on you? You don't just clear your cache and cookies any more. Personally, I have wiped my Google account cached data via my account settings as best I can. I then deleted the entire Google account. This means, no Chrome, no Gmail, no Youtube tracking, knowing where I work without my consent, all my purchased apps, etc, etc. Indeed, I'm not going back. I'm someone who has been into tech for 25+ years and find it much too intrusive.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I love Android, it is a fun exciting OS. That said, I think it still only has a place on my second device. The iPhone just suits me better. It works better in my experience, the camera though no longer the absolute best is still among the best, the OS is straightfoward yet with great power user options lately, the apps are of higher quality and there are certain speciality apps that are yet to have an Android equivalent. Additionally, I use OSX and I don?t plan on giving it up soon as there is no suitable alternative (no I don?t like Windows 10 I have tried using it for a month and NO). I like the way iOS and OSX play together. I am going to stick to both. I use an iPhone 6s, an iPad Mini 2 (Netflix & Kindle mostly) and an MacBook Air. I have a Moto X that I play around with from time to time.

P.S. If Google were to have a true (with legacy app support that the sad industry in which I work refuse to give up) desktop OS that plays perfectly with Android, I would certainly keep my eye on it.

JaneGI

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Wow, reading your post, it's like I wrote it myself, also been a very loyal Android client for years and years, had all the Samsungs, S3, S5, Note 3, Note 4, you name it... then I also needed a change and made the jump to apple, my word... also wanted to ask "what took me so long" and just love your saying "it just works", that is so true, everything just works, first time, every time... love it... don't think I will change back soon, or ever, looking forward to the iPhone 7 coming out end of the year.... enjoy !!!

Hawkeberry

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Quite interesting to read this. I am considering picking up an iPhone 6. I currently use a Note 4 along with the original Moto x. Love both but Moto x has started showing its age in battery. I want to replace it with a similarly sized phone that also has a decent camera and iPhone 6 seems a good option as there aren't many Androids in that size. I don't want to spend on 6s as I might have to replace Note 4 next year. Are the differences significant from 6s? I'll be using it mainly for receiving calls / instagram / strava while cycling and as a music player.

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Quite interesting to read this. I am considering picking up an iPhone 6. I currently use a Note 4 along with the original Moto x. Love both but Moto x has started showing its age in battery. I want to replace it with a similarly sized phone that also has a decent camera and iPhone 6 seems a good option as there aren't many Androids in that size. I don't want to spend on 6s as I might have to replace Note 4 next year. Are the differences significant from 6s? I'll be using it mainly for receiving calls / instagram / strava while cycling and as a music player.
I had both the 6 and 6s and I didn't feel much of a difference other than the force touch which I honestly didn't use much at all. For the uses you mention I think the 6 is perfectly suited.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW