How do I get my iPhone 6 to revert back to using WiFi rather than Cellular Data?

I

iMore Question

Recently, I was trying to connect with another iPhone user while away from WiFi. The iPhone asked me if I should send the message as a cellular data message, and I said yes. Now, all of my messages to my friend are going as cellular data, even when I am at home and connected to home WiFi AND I have my cellular data turned OFF. How do I revert back to using WiFi rather than my cellular data? I tried turning off my WiFi connection, and I turned off Cellular data, but it is still sending as cellular data.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! What indication are you getting that your messages are sending over cellular data and not wifi? The only thing I can think of is that you have a weak wifi connection and you have Wi-Fi Assist enabled. Go to Settings > Cellular, then scroll all of the way down and toggled off Wi-Fi Assist.
6156bb3cc6bcb3a5fb5bf1aa952a6a37.jpg

bhsia

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Thank you, but no. That is already turned off. I have also turned off Cellular data, SMS messaging, and MMS Messaging for good measure. The iPhone refuses to revert back to using WiFi.

Any other ideas?

bhsia

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
The indications are quite clear:
1) I get a pop up message that tells me how much my cellular account has been charged for the outgoing text message immediately after it finishes sending!
Essentially, "Cha-ching! Your iPhone's refusal to use your home WiFi has cost you another $.##. Your account balance is now $#.##."
2) The outgoing message, when it finishes sending, is in green, not blue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal