What could be the reason it's taking incredibly long to update apps?

greatkeen

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
iPhone 6 , iOS 9.2.1, almost a year using it, bought box pack and still no jail break or anything.

I am too fed up of apps taking so so long to update (meaning getting updated over Wi-Fi or data through App Store) .

Internet speed is good and performance all OK on all other endeavour. Just when there is an app that requires updating... It's a nightmare.

Guys, what could be the reason for it? Or is it like norm? Coming from long Android background and first iPhone.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Updating apps take incrediblely long

If you're talking about the time to actually download and install the update once you've started the update process the only things that come to mind for me are that you're low on storage space (solved by deleting things to free up space) or you're having a software issue (usually solved by booting into recovery mode restoring your device through iTunes).
In my personal experience with my 6 Plus, my current 6s Plus and my wife's 6s updates load very quickly. Even large updates are pretty fast.

greatkeen

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Updating apps take incrediblely long

To make my problem more clear... I am not talking about iOS software update.... I am talking about the installed 3rd party apps.... When they have an update from App Store, that update takes way too long to download despite net speed being good enough.

Restore may not be a solution in my case, as I have regularly been updating my iOS, and my problem has been pretty consistent since always.

I am thinking along the lines if there is some port or proxy settings I should change etc to merely speed up the app download process.

PS : I have about 40 GB space free so space isn't the problem.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Updating apps take incrediblely long

To make my problem more clear... I am not talking about iOS software update.... I am talking about the installed 3rd party apps.... When they have an update from App Store, that update takes way too long to download despite net speed being good enough.

Restore may not be a solution in my case, as I have regularly been updating my iOS, and my problem has been pretty consistent since always.

I am thinking along the lines if there is some port or proxy settings I should change etc to merely speed up the app download process.

You can try resetting the "network settings".

Settings → General → Reset → "Reset Network Settings".

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Updating apps take incrediblely long

Reset network settings.... Will it effect any stored data?

You will have to re-enter your Wi-Fi network's passcode and re-pair your Bluetooth devices. Other than that, nothing major is affected.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
i dont know if this is what your talking about but, i have apps that will update and it looks like there updating. Sometimes i dont cycle every screen but ill get to that screen a day later and its still showing that its in middle of update. It annoys the crud out of me and i havent figured out way get it to stop and you cant delete or re download it. apple support told me restore as new i did. They told me should get it checked out by them at store. only problem is dont have apple care have square trade :-X didnt get apple care because nearest apple store is almost two hours from me and i cannot drive.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
i dont know if this is what your talking about but, i have apps that will update and it looks like there updating. Sometimes i dont cycle every screen but ill get to that screen a day later and its still showing that its in middle of update. It annoys the crud out of me and i havent figured out way get it to stop and you cant delete or re download it. apple support told me restore as new i did. They told me should get it checked out by them at store. only problem is dont have apple care have square trade :-X didnt get apple care because nearest apple store is almost two hours from me and i cannot drive.

When you have one like that, go to the icon on screen and tap the X to delete. It won't fully delete, so then go to Settings > General > Usage > Manage storage > scroll down to the App and tap > Tap delete. Then go back to the icon on screen and tap the X again. It should delete. Then go and download the app.

greatkeen

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site

Yes pretty much the same problem you faced. It's annoying as hell specially if it's an app you use on frequent basis. So you restored ur phone and problem solved?

Though I rather first just restore my network settings as suggested above.... Just that the Wi-Fi I use... Don't remember it's password... What a lol.

Thanks guys for ur suggestions so far.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
When you have one like that, go to the icon on screen and tap the X to delete. It won't fully delete, so then go to Settings > General > Usage > Manage storage > scroll down to the App and tap > Tap delete. Then go back to the icon on screen and tap the X again. It should delete. Then go and download the app.

Apple suggested that to me problem is I can only move icon there is no X to delete and to other persons post I dunno how can multi quote posts but no I just been dealing with it restore did nothing that was apples other directions and problem is still there

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple suggested that to me problem is I can only move icon there is no X to delete and to other persons post I dunno how can multi quote posts but no I just been dealing with it restore did nothing that was apples other directions and problem is still there

If it's a 3rd party app, there is an X. Press on the icon until they wiggle. Then you'll see the X.
Like here:
38eb69a34f999a0c6f897b5bb1e4b37e.jpg

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
If it happens again soon I'll show you. I know how to delete apps I know about the X but when it does this where acts like its updating and then it just some reason doesn't there is no X. If this thread is still active when it happens again I'll post screen shot

Guess I spoke to soon didn't take much lol

cb14fea99b8bc742e35917a2f813e182.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2