Is Wi-Fi Assist working?

melmurphy

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I am not sure if Wi-Fi Assist is working correctly on my iPhone 6. When I leave home and am far away from my home router should cellular Data kick in? Will this automatically turn on Cellular Data in settings?
I work outside and am not picking up another Wi-Fi signal. I have to go into settings and turn on Cellular Data to use some of the apps on my phone.
I'm using ios 9.1 and I have rebooted the phone.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Wifi assist allows your device to automatically switch from wifi to cellular data in the event your wifi signal becomes weak. I don't have the feature enabled out of concern that it'll eat up precious bytes of my monthly data allowance without telling me but my guess is turning off cellular data while on wifi assist defeats the purpose of having it on in the first place.
If there's no cellular data connection enabled in Settings my guess is the feature won't work. To test it out go to an area with a strong wifi signal, start streaming some music, and then move away from it until you're completely out of wifi range. Does the music keep streaming or does it stop?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What you're trying to do shouldn't involve wifi assist. That's not what it's for. You just need to toggle cellular on and leave it on. And toggle the apps you need on for cellular. And leave it that way. Then when you get off away from wifi, your cellular will work. Wifi assist is for like if you're in your house on WiFi and the signal goes bad. Wifi assist kicks in with cellular so it won't mess up what you're doing.

melmurphy

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
This is what I did not understand. I thought if I had cellular data turned on all the time that when I got home it would not pick up and use wi-fi. In other words I thought I would allways be using cellular data if I had it toggled on in settings.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2