Weirdest problem ever to me - mixed up phone numbers?

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I am hoping someone knows what is going on with this problem, I am trying to help my friend!

Background - I have an iPhone 6. My friend has a 6. His wife has a 4. We are together last night. My friend tells me he has finally changed his data plan to now be able to send/receive text messages (welcome to the 20th century <g>). So imagine this:

example: my friend's phone number is 111-111-1111. I call him, so I know that is his number and it is in my contacts. His wife's number is 222-222-2222. Have not called her or anything.

So to "test it out" for my friend, I sent him a text message on 111-111-1111. I am standing right next to him, his phone receives it. I tell him to send me a reply, he does so - and hits send.

My phone receives the text message, but the phone number it comes in on is his wife's! Instead of saying "John Doe" at the top, which is 111-111-1111, I just see a phone number - 222-222-2222! They are both on Verizon I believe, if that matters.

We didn't get to try it again, as we had to leave.

How in the world did he send a text message with his wife's phone number from his phone? Have you ever heard of anything like this?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I am hoping someone knows what is going on with this problem, I am trying to help my friend!

Background - I have an iPhone 6. My friend has a 6. His wife has a 4. We are together last night. My friend tells me he has finally changed his data plan to now be able to send/receive text messages (welcome to the 20th century <g>). So imagine this:

example: my friend's phone number is 111-111-1111. I call him, so I know that is his number and it is in my contacts. His wife's number is 222-222-2222. Have not called her or anything.

So to "test it out" for my friend, I sent him a text message on 111-111-1111. I am standing right next to him, his phone receives it. I tell him to send me a reply, he does so - and hits send.

My phone receives the text message, but the phone number it comes in on is his wife's! Instead of saying "John Doe" at the top, which is 111-111-1111, I just see a phone number - 222-222-2222! They are both on Verizon I believe, if that matters.

We didn't get to try it again, as we had to leave.

How in the world did he send a text message with his wife's phone number from his phone? Have you ever heard of anything like this?

Are your friend and his wife using the same iCloud account for Messages? It sounds like they are... and there's a field in the Messages setting to "Start new conversation from...". What is in that field on both his and his wife's phone?

I am guessing that both phones are using the same iCloud account for Messages and that her number is in the Start conversations from field.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Ah yes of course - good suggestions on iMessage setup. I was so overwhelmed seeing that I forgot that it is using iMessage not SMS. I'll check the iMessage accounts and setup, I bet you are right the problem is in there! Thanks!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2