Mute Switch on 6 is broke

mc511

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So my mute switch on my iphone 6 wont stay down when i need to flip it to the mute position. I am unsure when this broke and became and issue. I have an appointment with the Apple store this sunday. I have Apple Care +, what will they do to fix the issue? I bought the phone in March i believe.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So my mute switch on my iphone 6 wont stay down when i need to flip it to the mute position. I am unsure when this broke and became and issue. I have an appointment with the Apple store this sunday. I have Apple Care +, what will they do to fix the issue? I bought the phone in March i believe.

Most likely, they will swap the phone out for a replacement.

mc511

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Most likely, they will swap the phone out for a replacement.

Ah that is what i am wondering. I also have been having odd wifi issues. But my question is this, will i need to pay for this replacement?

I assumed they would take it back to a repair depot and just fix the switch there.

I should perform an icloud backup before i go.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Ah that is what i am wondering. I also have been having odd wifi issues. But my question is this, will i need to pay for this replacement?

I assumed they would take it back to a repair depot and just fix the switch there.

I should perform an icloud backup before i go.

They pretty much just do screen replacement repairs on site.

As far as having to pay the "incident" fee - it's up the the Genius that you get, and if it can be determined to be a manufacturing defect or a physical damage issue. Just don't give him any reason to go against you by showing attitude. The majority of guys/gals manning the Genius Bar are good folks and often give you the benefit of the doubt. But if you show up with an attitude and have "guns blazing", they may lean towards charging you.

And most definitely, do a backup before you go.

mc511

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
They pretty much just do screen replacement repairs on site.

As far as having to pay the "incident" fee - it's up the the Genius that you get, and if it can be determined to be a manufacturing defect or a physical damage issue. Just don't give him any reason to go against you by showing attitude. The majority of guys/gals manning the Genius Bar are good folks and often give you the benefit of the doubt. But if you show up with an attitude and have "guns blazing", they may lean towards charging you.

And most definitely, do a backup before you go.

I used to work in retail and customer service. The last thing id do is make them have a bad day. I used to work at the mall i will be going to so it will be packed. I wont give him any indication i dropped it. Infact i am not even sure how this happened. I had a tough pelican case and hardly dropped it, maybe 3 times since i got it.

Thanks for the advice.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Start as Hank suggested and put the worry out of your mind. With Applecare + that takes the worry away so just go in and only after they make a determination and you need it fixed, replaced anyway, Then inquire if ANY cost will be involved in this.

mc511

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. But now i am unsure what to do. The mute switch now locks when pushed down. I called Applecare+ and the guy said to not cancel incase it comes back. I think that is a good idea. I just dont want the genius' to think im crazy or scamming them.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

zinedine

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with the mute switch and I made a Genius Bar appointment. My iPhone also had the crescent moon thing with the front facing camera. They replaced it immediately at the Apple Store. My new iPhone has been working perfectly since. This was about 2 months ago.

mc511

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Some good news, turns out it was just some dirt caught in the switch. They cleaned it out for me and all is well. I wouldnt have minded a replacement, but it would have been a hassle to get all my 100 apps back onto the phone. Looks like might just have to but the macbook from them after i get my tax returns back next year.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Some good news, turns out it was just some dirt caught in the switch. They cleaned it out for me and all is well. I wouldnt have minded a replacement, but it would have been a hassle to get all my 100 apps back onto the phone. Looks like might just have to but the macbook from them after i get my tax returns back next year.

Any future issue with the mute switch go to Accessibility > Assistive Touch > Toggle on > Tap on screen button > Tap device > Tap Mute
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442204301.736325.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234