Hi, all. I just got my first iPhone after years with Android, and I'm loving it. The only question I have is whether my experience with the Facebook app is typical or not. I use Facebook to read a lot of articles from websites I like, and I find that links can be very slow to load in the Facebook browser. The same pages open very quickly in Safari, via a link posted to Twitter, etc., so I'm confused - it's not just the fact that the page has a lot of content, etc.

I've rebooted, uninstalled/reinstalled, etc., so I'm guessing there's nothing I can do but forget about it, but was curious if this is normal for that app? I didn't find any other complaints about this. Also, what's odd is that some website links seem "preloaded" - i.e., I click on them and instead of seeing the Facebook browser pop up from the bottom, they slide in from the left hand side ready to go. This has only happened a couple of times, so I can't figure out a pattern, but they weren't "sponsored" links or anything. One was NY Times and another was BuzzFeed.

Anyone else having the same experience? Ultimately, I don't much care - the phone is great and I can use Facebook in the browser, etc. I was more just wondering if there was a "fix," although I doubt it!
    08-14-2015 02:08 PM
    First, congratulations on your iPhone. Second, the Facebook app never works great, so I'm not sure there is anything you can do--besides let their support know.
    08-15-2015 12:11 PM
    Thanks - yeah, I figured it was just the app being badly coded. Maybe it's for the best - I spend too much time on Facebook anyway. I hear Google has a social network - maybe I'll check that out!
    08-15-2015 02:48 PM
    Thanks - yeah, I figured it was just the app being badly coded. Maybe it's for the best - I spend too much time on Facebook anyway. I hear Google has a social network - maybe I'll check that out!
    The problem is all the ads they put on those news sites. Twitter is the same. They slow everything down. It's in Safari as well if it comes from Facebook or Twitter. I open news from email to Safari and that's bad too. It's just too many ads. I get tired of navigating around ads. LOL
    bakron1 likes this.
    08-16-2015 12:45 AM
    Delete through settings. Reboot. Reinstall. Sometimes this will help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    08-18-2015 12:38 PM
    The Facebook app is not of the highest quality unfortunately on any platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    08-19-2015 06:46 AM
    I ditched the FB app in favor of a Safari shortcut shortly after getting my 6
    08-19-2015 09:00 AM
    I ditched the FB app in favor of a Safari shortcut shortly after getting my 6
    What do you mean by "shortcut"?
    08-19-2015 09:05 AM
    What do you mean by "shortcut"?
    Bookmark the mobile website and put a shortcut on your home screen
    08-19-2015 09:06 AM
    Bookmark the mobile website and put a shortcut on your home screen
    Gotcha. That's called a bookmarklet. I use a lot of them. You might also try Friendly+. It's a Facebook client app. It's really neat. You can have multiple accounts on it.
    Friendly+ with AdBlock by Friendly App Studio
    https://appsto.re/us/4AqXw.i

There's also a free version. It's like the online in Safari version on steroids. LOL
    leannelizabeth1 likes this.
    08-19-2015 09:13 AM
    Just downloaded Friendly+ Thanks so much for the tip - this is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I love the ad-blocker in the built-in browser.
    Ledsteplin likes this.
    08-19-2015 11:48 AM
    Just downloaded Friendly+ Thanks so much for the tip - this is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I love the ad-blocker in the built-in browser.
    I have 4 accounts on mine. Each a different color.
    08-19-2015 12:46 PM
    Thanks for the heads up on Friendly. Nice app
    08-19-2015 05:15 PM
    Thanks for the heads up on Friendly. Nice app
    Takes a little getting used to. But I like it.
    08-19-2015 09:43 PM
    Going to try it too

The FB bloat is what kills me. I usually delete the fb app once a month to reset the size of the app
    08-20-2015 09:17 PM
    Facebook now hosts some stories on it's own servers (NYT and Buzzfeed are participating I believe) so that they load faster on mobile devices.
    08-20-2015 09:21 PM
    Going to try Friendly out. As long as it's better than the stock app it's worth the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-20-2015 11:17 PM
    Used Friendly for a little while and noticed it jumped to the top of my apps list just like the official FB app does. Back to my bookmarklet

Last edited by mumfoau; 08-25-2015 at 04:12 PM.
    08-25-2015 02:06 PM
    Gotcha. That's called a bookmarklet. I use a lot of them. You might also try Friendly+. It's a Facebook client app. It's really neat. You can have multiple accounts on it.
    Friendly+ with AdBlock by Friendly App Studio
    https://appsto.re/us/4AqXw.i

There's also a free version. It's like the online in Safari version on steroids. LOL
    Thank you so much for suggesting Friendly! Just downloaded the ad free version. It is just what the official Facebook app should be!
    08-25-2015 03:10 PM
    User Friendly for a little while and noticed it jumped to the top of my apps list just like the official FB app does. Back to my bookmarklet

Something has to be at the top! What difference does it make what it is? It shows what you use most. If you use something enough, it's going to use battery, including Safari!
    08-25-2015 04:11 PM
    iPhone still out perform Android especially on battery wise. loving my iphone 5s
    Ledsteplin likes this.
    08-25-2015 10:25 PM
    Yes - standby time is ridiculously good especially. The whole experience is very smooth. That's probably the only reason I even noticed that Facebook's browser was sluggish - nothing else is!
    08-29-2015 11:45 AM
    Something has to be at the top! What difference does it make what it is? It shows what you use most. If you use something enough, it's going to use battery, including Safari!
    Yes we all know something has to be at the top. That's not my primary. It's that the FB app jumps to the top after minimal use in comparison to other apps. That's just my experience though...

09-02-2015 06:14 AM
    Yes we all know something has to be at the top. That's not my primary. It's that the FB app jumps to the top after minimal use in comparison to other apps. That's just my experience though...

Did you try turning off location services and background app refresh for Facebook? Also, turning off Auto Video Play in the Facebook Settings helps a lot.
    09-02-2015 09:32 AM
    Did you try turning off location services and background app refresh for Facebook? Also, turning off Auto Video Play in the Facebook Settings helps a lot.
    All that stuff is off. FB has been a notoriously naughty app on both iOS and Android. Nothing new to see there.

09-02-2015 09:36 AM
41 12