So just curious.... Why are so many using WhatsApp and why is it still so popular? I mean, does everyone not have unlimited text and not to mention iMessage? What's so cool about it?
    07-27-2015 08:26 PM
    It's device and carrier agnostic.
    07-27-2015 08:32 PM
    For areas with no carrier coverage. Wifi can be used. There are also personalized chat themes and stuff.
    07-27-2015 08:49 PM
    So just curious.... Why are so many using WhatsApp and why is it still so popular? I mean, does everyone not have unlimited text and not to mention iMessage? What's so cool about it?
    Because unlike in the States there are still countries charging for text messages. My plan allows me to talk 300 mins or text 300 times, plus it allows for sending pictures, videos, sharing location and voice messages, group chatting and so on..
    jtv1 likes this.
    07-27-2015 09:01 PM
    I agree,
    maybe it's so popular because you can see if the person is online or when he/she sign in at the last time stamp. it's good app for groups,or sending a pictures
    07-28-2015 02:34 AM
    Free calls anywhere in the world too.
    jtv1 likes this.
    07-28-2015 07:47 PM
    Because unlike in the States there are still countries charging for text messages. My plan allows me to talk 300 mins or text 300 times, plus it allows for sending pictures, videos, sharing location and voice messages, group chatting and so on..
    This, coupled with kch's answer, is why Line is so popular here in Japan. Cell phones come with an email address that uses data. People would still rather use Line to communicate because of stickers as well as all the functions mentioned above.
    07-28-2015 10:37 PM
    I travel the globe quite a bit and have made friends all over. Whatsapp is the messaging service to not only run great cross platform but cross carrier and cross country. Archiving and group messaging is great to use and they always send pictures low resolution so you don't kill your data plan. Also I think the GPS works much better showing location.
    07-29-2015 10:02 AM
    Don't care about GPS, but I definitely hate they compress pictures to low resolution. That's why I always email pictures to people who don't have iMessage.
    07-29-2015 10:04 AM
    I do wish there was the option for hi/low res.
    07-29-2015 12:36 PM
    Well, I am from South Africa, here they charge per sms, so if you are messaging someone not on iPhone you get charged.
    Whatsapp use very little data
    The group chats are very nice, we have a family group chat, friends group chats, clan members group chat
    You can customise it
    You can chat to anyone in the world and charges remain the same, use very little data.
    SMS in South Africa is basically like an Endangered species. I dont know anyone that actually sms each other anymore.
    07-30-2015 08:35 AM
    Whatsapp shook the carriers from their core. Before whatsapp existed, text plans weren't that common, let alone free text bundles.

According to a new study, Dutch people use whatsapp to send 60 messages a day and are a member of at least 8 groups in the app.

No wonder Facebook acquired the app
    07-30-2015 08:39 AM
    I am Dutch, and WhatsApp is extremely populair here. I can't even think of functioning without it. I now do all my texting and practically all my phone calls through WA now. Soon there will only be a need to have a data package and no more silly phone contracts as far as calling is concerned. Brilliant program!
    07-30-2015 08:50 AM
    I am Dutch, and WhatsApp is extremely populair here. I can't even think of functioning without it. I now do all my texting and practically all my phone calls through WA now. Soon there will only be a need to have a data package and no more silly phone contracts as far as calling is concerned. Brilliant program!
    I prefer FaceTime Audio over whatsapp, because the call quality is better
    07-30-2015 09:01 AM
    Then again, not everyone has an iPhone, so FaceTime may not be an option..
    Tartarus likes this.
    07-30-2015 03:44 PM
    It's cross platform. Android users don't have iMessage.
    08-02-2015 02:19 PM
    It's hugely popular internationally. Domestically it's not very common to use. That's pretty much the answer.
    08-03-2015 10:21 AM
    my only gripe is that you have to have someones # to message them. Why can't they make it simple like kik or bbm with a username or pin number? what if i want to chat but not give my # out? i never understood that.
    08-05-2015 01:43 AM
    I use Viber. Its faster and more user friendly.
    08-05-2015 04:24 AM
    I believe the original answer as mentioned by many here, is that it is 1) data based 2) pictures and videos are sent for free.
    If you have unlimited data on your device, it's a bonus.

Here in the UK, having the underground train stations, service with wifi now allows one to make calls.
    We just now need the trains themselves have wifi for a continuous link, this could also be fatal if the wifi can be used by terrorist on the moving vehicle.
    08-08-2015 06:24 AM
    I agree,
    maybe it's so popular because you can see if the person is online or when he/she sign in at the last time stamp. it's good app for groups,or sending a pictures
    But that's only if you allow everyone to see that your online, but I have asked the what'sapp team if they could implement a more security in group chats.
    For the reason say; man/woman went out together then broke up, but have both been know to the group for many years, but one of the parties stalks the other where given the chance.

Though they are both ok amongst the group, they cannot meet on their own.
    When creating the group, all phone numbers are given and not just the names.

With ones phone number opened to all, any amount of trickery can be escalated.and lead to tragedy.
    08-08-2015 07:32 AM
    Where I live in South Asia our carriers still charge us for sms. So if you have data plan its much cheaper to use online messaging apps like whatsapp. Although to be honest, Viber appears to be more popular in my country.
    08-09-2015 01:18 PM
    i ask that same question all the time. but i use whatsapp to contact friends and family that are international. and honestly to send pictures through whatsapp is way faster then sending it through regular picture messaging.
    08-14-2015 08:25 AM
    Whatsapp needs a desktop app
    08-14-2015 01:52 PM
    What's App seems to be very commonly used in the Europe continent
    08-14-2015 02:52 PM