What's Up with WhatsApp?

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
So just curious.... Why are so many using WhatsApp and why is it still so popular? I mean, does everyone not have unlimited text and not to mention iMessage? What's so cool about it?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So just curious.... Why are so many using WhatsApp and why is it still so popular? I mean, does everyone not have unlimited text and not to mention iMessage? What's so cool about it?

Because unlike in the States there are still countries charging for text messages. My plan allows me to talk 300 mins or text 300 times, plus it allows for sending pictures, videos, sharing location and voice messages, group chatting and so on..

JOey811

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I agree,
maybe it's so popular because you can see if the person is online or when he/she sign in at the last time stamp. it's good app for groups,or sending a pictures

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Because unlike in the States there are still countries charging for text messages. My plan allows me to talk 300 mins or text 300 times, plus it allows for sending pictures, videos, sharing location and voice messages, group chatting and so on..

This, coupled with kch's answer, is why Line is so popular here in Japan. Cell phones come with an email address that uses data. People would still rather use Line to communicate because of stickers as well as all the functions mentioned above.

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I travel the globe quite a bit and have made friends all over. Whatsapp is the messaging service to not only run great cross platform but cross carrier and cross country. Archiving and group messaging is great to use and they always send pictures low resolution so you don't kill your data plan. Also I think the GPS works much better showing location.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Don't care about GPS, but I definitely hate they compress pictures to low resolution. That's why I always email pictures to people who don't have iMessage.

JaneGI

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Well, I am from South Africa, here they charge per sms, so if you are messaging someone not on iPhone you get charged.
Whatsapp use very little data
The group chats are very nice, we have a family group chat, friends group chats, clan members group chat
You can customise it
You can chat to anyone in the world and charges remain the same, use very little data.
SMS in South Africa is basically like an Endangered species. I dont know anyone that actually sms each other anymore.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Whatsapp shook the carriers from their core. Before whatsapp existed, text plans weren't that common, let alone free text bundles.

According to a new study, Dutch people use whatsapp to send 60 messages a day and are a member of at least 8 groups in the app.

No wonder Facebook acquired the app

The Hitch

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I am Dutch, and WhatsApp is extremely populair here. I can't even think of functioning without it. I now do all my texting and practically all my phone calls through WA now. Soon there will only be a need to have a data package and no more silly phone contracts as far as calling is concerned. Brilliant program!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am Dutch, and WhatsApp is extremely populair here. I can't even think of functioning without it. I now do all my texting and practically all my phone calls through WA now. Soon there will only be a need to have a data package and no more silly phone contracts as far as calling is concerned. Brilliant program!

I prefer FaceTime Audio over whatsapp, because the call quality is better

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

It's hugely popular internationally. Domestically it's not very common to use. That's pretty much the answer.

razzyjones

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
my only gripe is that you have to have someones # to message them. Why can't they make it simple like kik or bbm with a username or pin number? what if i want to chat but not give my # out? i never understood that.

jtv1

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site

I believe the original answer as mentioned by many here, is that it is 1) data based 2) pictures and videos are sent for free.
If you have unlimited data on your device, it's a bonus.

Here in the UK, having the underground train stations, service with wifi now allows one to make calls.
We just now need the trains themselves have wifi for a continuous link, this could also be fatal if the wifi can be used by terrorist on the moving vehicle.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro