Got Rid of Everything once he got his 6

Caymancroc

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
This is interesting. I own two companies myself and use an iPhone to manage both. Admittedly I also have an iPad and iMac but I rarely (and I do mean rarely) use them.

The iPhone allows me to stay out of the office and enjoy life more. Like Finn5975 the iPhone has replaced about everything else for me. I use it for about everything including watching movies on planes (I even read Atlas Shrugged on it (first half was on my iPhone 4S) and didn't go blind!😂).

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
So you think as a business major he needs to have a computer at home and in the office? I can empathize if he wants to leave work largely at work. Or is that self-serving and unrealistic?

from Elegance

Look have fun playing devils advocate all you want. It's better to have something and never use it, than to need something and not have it. Again an iPhone is not a replacement for for a computer?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
In most locales he can have a laptop in less than 4 hours should he develop the need. They don't seem too hard to come by.

from Elegance

GraphicMac

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I know a LOT of people who have absolutely no want or need for iPads or computers of any kind at home. They have computers at work for the rare need for a full-on computer.

As big a geek as I am, I have an iPad 2 that still runs great after a few years of use by my son, and I simply can't find a single use for it. Nothing. The iPhone can do an amazing amount of things. And you would be surprised how much of what you don't care about, when you can't have it anyway.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I want to get another Macbook Pro but I know I have no real need for one and that I do most everything on my phones. My bf doesn't understand my geekiness and desire for electronics.

from the Elegance

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I feel like certain professions need a computer whereas others don't. If I were the person in the OP's situation, I know I'd still use a Mac and iPad along with an iPhone.

Being a Computer Science student, I need a computer because the iPad doesn't offer XCode, Netbeans, Android Studio, etc. which would make it hard to write code for classes. I need to have an OS X or Windows machine to do things for CS, but I can see people who's professions don't require a Laptop/Desktop, and therefore don't use one.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I feel like certain professions need a computer whereas others don't. If I were the person in the OP's situation, I know I'd still use a Mac and iPad along with an iPhone.

Being a Computer Science student, I need a computer because the iPad doesn't offer XCode, Netbeans, Android Studio, etc. which would make it hard to write code for classes. I need to have an OS X or Windows machine to do things for CS, but I can see people who's professions don't require a Laptop/Desktop, and therefore don't use one.
The person discussed by the OP has a computer at work, just not at home.

from the Elegance

lightning8888

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I can relate to the nephew . Turning on the computer at home is the last thing I want to do after sitting in front of one 8-9 hours per day. Strain on the eyes all day and end up at the end of the day all bug eyed and fatigued. I find myself relaxing with my iPhone in hand reading news , listening to music and whatever else I find the need for all on my iPhone 6. Just more convenient and can go just about anywhere. For those who can relate whoever came up with the special lighting for office buildings that have cube cities need to go back to the drawing board ...those lights are rough on your eyes when you look at a computer all day, they are having an opposite effect from design.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I find myself using my MBP more and more these days. It's not that I can't do everything on my phone, but certain things I just prefer to do on my laptop. Forums are a good example. I pretty much disappeared off forums when I was using phone only. I find that Safari, Dolphin (my Android browser of choice), or apps on either platform just don't get the job done. Sure, it's possible to be active on various forums via phone, but for me it's not an enjoyable experience. I also need a computer to store music/photos on. I also have an external drive to back up my music and photos. I've already lost all my hard copies of music and family photos that span my lifetime due to my apartment burning down. I've become paranoid about having digital copies, and copies of those copies everywhere.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I find myself using my MBP more and more these days. It's not that I can't do everything on my phone, but certain things I just prefer to do on my laptop. Forums are a good example. I pretty much disappeared off forums when I was using phone only. I find that Safari, Dolphin (my Android browser of choice), or apps on either platform just don't get the job done. Sure, it's possible to be active on various forums via phone, but for me it's not an enjoyable experience. I also need a computer to store music/photos on. I also have an external drive to back up my music and photos. I've already lost all my hard copies of music and family photos that span my lifetime due to my apartment burning down. I've become paranoid about having digital copies, and copies of those copies everywhere.

I can definitely understand that view. I'm sure there are a lot less typos too when using a real keyboard. I like using my phones simply because they're even more mobile. When I get my new laptop I'm sure, however, that I'll be on it a lot.

Sent from the Elegance

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes I feel this way with my iPad. Now that I can receive phone calls and SMS on it, I could use my iPad and my iPad only all day and never pick up my phone or laptop. This is for home and work.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I use my phone 95% of the time.

The thing with the computer is that it's a chore. You have to sit down, pull it out, open it, turn it on, wait for it to boot up, and then you're pretty much forcing yourself to be stuck at it for a certain period of time.

With the phone you can pull it out wherever you are, Use it for a second, and then put it away.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I use my phone 95% of the time.

The thing with the computer is that it's a chore. You have to sit down, pull it out, open it, turn it on, wait for it to boot up, and then you're pretty much forcing yourself to be stuck at it for a certain period of time.

Not if you use a Mac, especially one with an SSD ;)

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
An SSD is just going to reduce the boot time. The reason a phone is so great is that it's so quick and easy. Due to its size it can be with you everywhere.

from the Elegance

I know, I was just kidding. :) A phone definitely is more convenient, I can agree with you there.

Wayne Simon

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I just purchased a rMBP to go along with my iPhone 6 and Apple watch. I am an IT professional and I take my rMBP everywhere I go and it's just as fast to boot it up as it is to use my iPhone 6 and it has so much more capability. I did run into the same boot up time issue when I had a Windows laptop but the rMBP is a dream come true as far as ease of use. And thats not even counting my morning coffee and browsing time where I can take phone calls and get iMessages directly on me rMBP. Maybe for some doing things just on the iPhone is fine but I prefer the additional screen size and full keyboard of a laptop for most things. Even play Cash of Clans on the laptop instead of the iPhone!

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I would still want a MacBook Pro or an iMac. I have a 6 Plus and I still don't want to watch movies, create docs, etc., on it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice