Got Rid of Everything once he got his 6

anon(5061193)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
My nephew is 25 years old, has masters degree in business, good job, makes plenty of money just told me he got rid of his MacBook pro and Ipad and does EVERYTHING on his Iphone 6. He said after college he doesn't write papers anymore, he sits in front of a computer all day and doesn't feel the need for anything more.

I think it is refreshing to have a young person find the perfect device that fits his life. I know all of our needs are different and for some tech stuff is a hobby, but it speaks volumes about how well built and effective the iphone has become. I on the other hand have EVERYTHING that Apple sells.. Ipad Air 2, MacBook, Apple Watch, Iphone 6+..and want more!!!

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I would agree with his decision. As you can pretty much do everything you wanted from one device, vs having many.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I find that anymore, I do 90% from my iPhone 6. And that transcends beyond tablets, computers, etc. It is my primary camera, my alarm clock, my timer, my fitbit, my music player, etc. While my Macbook only accounts for 10%, I find it necessary. It is my backup for all of my photos and videos as I store them locally on it, and sync them back to my phone. It also houses iTunes that I use for more complete backups beyond what iCloud offers. So in those regards, I will continue to keep an actual computer present along with my iPhone.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
with exception of my work computer .. because it can not be replaced with a ipad or iphone at home all i use is my phone my laptop collects dust

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Its funny how these phones have replaced so much of the functionality of desktop and portable computers. I have some fairly decent computers but my big HP workstation, as powerful as it is, hardly ever gets turned on.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
That wasn't very smart for a Business Major to do. iPhones are great but far from a substitute for a full computer in the business world.

If he finds his world more difficult without a computer he can add one. At least they're largely affordable these days. I know for doing word processing, spreadsheets, and anything with graphics I'd much rather do it on a capable computer than a phone or tablet but different strokes.

Sent from Elegance

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Looks like a couple commenters missed the part of the post where the op says the nephew sits in front of a computer all day at work... My guess is he's using the 6-only approach at home but is still using the computer at work... I can see that.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I can see that approach, as he uses a computer for work all day. But some things like web browsing and juggling multiple web pages is better on dedicated computers. I do use my phone as a calendar, alarm, music player, and email machine though. I do a fair bit of mobile web browsing too, but I juggle at most 2-4 tabs. On desktop, I have at least 6-20.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I've been using an iPad since its initial release month. I like the bigger screen. Wife has an iPhone 6 and an iPad 4, I'm a 6+ and Air 2 user. That being said, wife and I got rid of the '08 iMac, and got a Mac Mini. We placed it on the TV stand shoved it in the entertainment center to use as a media server. One day (hopefully soon) Apple TV will be able to read media from NAS.

I never use my work Win laptop for personal use.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Is your media in an iTunes acceptable format? If so you can import it into iTunes (turn off the setting to copy it and just keep its location on the NAS) and turn on Home Sharing on both the Mac mini's iTunes and the Apple TV and then you can have your NAS media library on the Apple TV.

That's exactly how I have it.

To view locally stored media on an Apple TV, you need a 'truck' computer, it needs to be turned on, and iTunes needs to be running. Streaming via the Internet looks good on paper, until your ISP P&M's about data usage and cuts your band with. They will then try to sell you an even higher priced plan. Been there. I have a choice between Cox and Cox.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm part of the group that has one of everything Apple offers-iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, Apple Watch, Apple TV, iPod. I don't use the iPod, but the rest of the devices are used every day. Being a computer science student, I like having lots of devices and having the latest devices, and I love having all sorts of devices to do different tasks on. Here's what I mainly use my devices for:

The rMBP is for word processing, video editing, programming, researching, web browsing, and heavy work.
The iPad is for YouTube, gaming, entertainment, light word processing if needed, and web browsing.
The iPhone is used for messaging, light web browsing, YouTube, social media, camera, and phone calls.
The Apple TV is for streaming content while I'm at home (YouTube, movies/TV, screen mirroring).
The Apple Watch just compliments and streamlines my notifications and workload.

Each device has its spot for me, but, as others have said, different strokes for different folks. :)

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm a freak. I use an iPhone 6, a Note 4 and a Lumia 1520. Also an iPad.
What I haven't used in weeks is my laptop. I turn it on occasionally just to clear the cobwebs.
I've also worked out of my Samsung Galaxy S5 without turning on my work laptop.
I see my use of laptops diminishing greatly and my use if my mobiles increasing to where I spend 80% of my work/play on them.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
He has a full computer in his office that he is in front of all day.. This is when he is away from the office.. Did you even read the original post???
Be nice. It happens. Sometimes the coffee doesn't quite seep in.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73