Avid Google/Android Fanboy got an iPhone 6 From work...

ChuckG73

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I have never had an iPhone until yesterday when work gave me a 16GB iPhone 6. I am pleasantly surprised and as an avid Google/Android fanboy I find myself rather intrigued with the new iPhone. I have pretty much owned every Android phone and especially the Nexus phones for years as far back as the OG Droid. I have been looking for that perfect balance of a phone and have had a Sony, HTC, Motorola, OPPO, OnePlus, and Samsung. In fact, I currently have an S6 Active as my personal device and it is near perfect when it come to Camera, Screen, durability, and is water proof. I have adapted my life to Android and am taking time to see how to transform my daily uses to Apple. I want to give this a fair shake and see if Apple can provide me with everything I have enjoyed over the past couple of years with Android or will this just be a work phone and keep Android as my daily and preferred driver...

I am still learning and exploring on the iPhone and there are a lot of great things, the integration with Google is amazing and more so then I ever imagined even importing all of my contacts from Google was a breeze.

As a newbee what things concern me as of now:

1. no Qi charging
2. no Android Wear
3. How do I set up the iPhone at night to only allow certain calls through and nothing else....
4. Widgets, widgets, widgets....I will need to get use to not having them
5. battery life

IF I end up moving to Apple it probably will not be until the 6s comes out or whatever the next iPhone model ends up being called. So I will use my work phone to get use to the Apple ecosystem and see how things work out.

Thanks for any help

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I can try to assist with items 3-5.
3. Go to Settings / Do Not Disturb and set up this feature. It will silence all sounds and notifications during the schedule that you select. You can dictate what calls are allowed to come through. If you wish to activate it at times other than your scheduled time, you can swipe up from the bottom of the screen and toggle the crescent moon icon.
4. While you won't have widgets on your home screens, you can select to have widgets in the notification center drop down. This of course is dependent upon the apps you have installed. If you swipe down from the top of the screen, go to the "Today" view. At the bottom, you will see an "Edit" button. This will bring up any available widgets. For instance, I have a month-view actionable calendar from Fantastical, 7 day weather outlook from eWeatherHD, and sports scores from the Score app.
5. Battery life is what it is I guess. If you opt for the 6S Plus in September, I don't think you will ever have any complaints. People are easily making it through the day without the need for a charge under moderate to heavy use. With the 6, I suggest you google the topic. I know there are many articles that list out recommendations for improving battery life such as turning off certain location tracking features, background app refresh, etc. I average about 6-7 hours of use time on my iphone 6.

Good luck!!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
As a newbee what things concern me as of now:

1. no Qi charging
2. no Android Wear
3. How do I set up the iPhone at night to only allow certain calls through and nothing else....
4. Widgets, widgets, widgets....I will need to get use to not having them
5. battery life

Thanks for any help

0. Don't expect the iPhone to be an Android.

1. I don't know that I'd use qi charging even if was available, just doesn't fit in my flow.

2. I use an Watch, so no Android Wear doesn't bother me.

3. See others' suggestions.

4. Yes, widgets on Android are a lot more useful I'll give you that. And as much I love Android widgets, switching to iPhone for me wasn't that hard. I found that I don't really widgets.

5. I have always 100% of the time had worse battery life on Android that I ever had on iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckG73

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I love the Apple keyboard but am missing androids swipe feature.....is there a 3rd party keyboard as nice a s Apple

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I think most of your questions have been addressed so my only suggestion would be to give it time and find things that work for you. Keep asking questions here. There are a lot of helpful people around iMore. I know you said you miss widgets and I get it, but give the widgets in iOS a try. I have actually learned to really appreciate Apple's approach. I don't use a lot of widgets on android either, but I have a few that I like. On my 6 plus I actually have widgets that are more useful. For example, I use the app Hours to track my time at work. I have the widget set up so that all I do is pull down on the screen and I can turn timers on and off without having to go into the app. Sounds like any other widget, but it works every time and very smoothly. I don't always get that with Android widgets. I have a couple other sports, calendar and reminder widgets in there as well. All function great and I don't miss the way they are done on Android at all.

I also have the 6 Plus and I can tell you that battery life is not an issue at all. If you have the 6 then maybe look at some of the articles on iMore regarding improving battery life or you can buy a case with a battery in it or just buy a battery pack. So many choices to solve those issues with any phone.

Bottom line is to just give it some time and find what works for you. Good luck!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I love the Apple keyboard but am missing androids swipe feature.....is there a 3rd party keyboard as nice a s Apple

SwiftKey offers the best of both type and swipe. It has the best features IMO. Best memory as well. 3rd party keyboard use is still fairly new and still has a few bugs. But I really enjoy SwiftKey. There's also Swype and Fleksy.

Last edited:

ChuckG73

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Well I am an iPhone user now for work officially and one step closer to making the move for my personal phone. I returned my Samsung S6 just now to AT&T and almost walked out with a 6 Plus. I talked myself into waiting and trying to hold out and see what is released in September.....Will there be a 6 S Plus?

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
RE: Apple vs Android. Each has its own special capabilities, but the main thing I like about Apple is the long term and often updated software support, although, since you mentioned the Nexus series, you may not have experienced a poor update frequency.

Even though I'm on an iPhone 6, I still use my 3-1/2 year old 4S around the house, and this fall Apple will again provide support via the iOS 9.0 release (even though some things will not work due to old hardware). Still I'm very happy.

Let us know in a years time or so how you find the iPhone experience as compared to Android. Should be interesting.

ChuckG73

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Found my first app that is not on apple that I use every day, not a deal killer as I am sure there is a great alarm clock app on Apple, but last night I used my Nexus 7 instead of my phone as an alarm clock. I use "Timely Alarm Clock" on Android, what is the best one on the iPhone?

Thanks

ChuckG73

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Stupid question, but if I buy an app on one iPhone, it transfers to each new iPhone I purchase right? The purchase belongs in iTunes not each personal device sort of like the Google Play store...right?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Stupid question, but if I buy an app on one iPhone, it transfers to each new iPhone I purchase right? The purchase belongs in iTunes not each personal device sort of like the Google Play store...right?

Correct. It also transfers to iPads as well.
The purchase is linked to your Apple ID and can be used with as many apple devices as you like.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Not to say that there isn't a good alternative clock app, but as a former android user I prefer to use always stock apps in everything.

jschu22

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I haven't used a 3rd party alarm clock app on iPhone in a while but unless they've changed something, keep in mind that any you choose must be running when you go to sleep. If not it will just beep and won't use whatever alert you selected.

This is definitely one instance where Android > iOS in my usage.

One of the reasons I dont use a 3rd party alarm is because of the  Watch. It does a great job of waking me and has a snooze. You mentioned Android Wear so I suspect you're open to smart watch use. I HIGHLY recommend you considering one because I've found it to be so much better than any Android Wear option and I've owned several (which have all been sold).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods