Camera vs Video "brightness"

eseerc

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
While in my son's bedroom last night, I snapped a couple pictures of him. It was early evening, but we had the over head light on in his room. The pictures turned out fine and were clear. I then switched to video mode and noticed a distinct difference in what I saw on the screen, it was very dark.

I flipped back and forth between photo and video and found it odd that the lighting looked different on the screen depending on what mode was selected.

I know nothing about cameras or video...... is this normal on my iPhone 6?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's normal. The camera has very different low light performance in both functions...even on high end DSLR's, when shooting video, you will usually get a pretty noticeable lighting decrease. Something that can help slightly, if you have a light source in the room when shooting video, touch the screen in a dark part of the room AWAY from the light source and it should lift the brightness a bit, but it won't be anything overly dramatic.

eseerc

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the info. I do not shoot a lot of video, but will keep your tip in mind for the future. Thanks!

Bpschoon81

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
This is one of my biggest gripes with the iPhone, and why I still have an s6 to swap my sim with. The video capabilities of my s6 are just in a different class from my 6+. Besides the clarity of downscaled 4k, recording audio on my 6+ sounds like the phone was in a tin can vs the clarity of my gs6. I desperately need Apple to up its game with 6s+ so I can sell this stupid gs6.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is one of my biggest gripes with the iPhone, and why I still have an s6 to swap my sim with. The video capabilities of my s6 are just in a different class from my 6+. Besides the clarity of downscaled 4k, recording audio on my 6+ sounds like the phone was in a tin can vs the clarity of my gs6. I desperately need Apple to up its game with 6s+ so I can sell this stupid gs6.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

My audio records crystal clear, so I'm not sure what your devices issue is when recording video...also, your downscaled 4K is 1080p, the same resolution the iPhone 6 and 6+ records in. Unless you have a 4K TV, you're not legitimately seeing any difference besides a placebo effect of buying into the marketing of that 4K downscaling function.

What you essentially end up with is a 1080p video file that is much larger than it needs to be because it's been downscaled, and will not represent any better picture quality on 95% of the TV's people use because it is, at the end of the day, simply a 1080p file once downscaled.

Bpschoon81

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
It's not that the iPhone has a problem, it's just that the GS6 is that much better. Everyone That has viewed the videos I've shared comment how much better the sound is. Search out you tube comparison videos, you can most definitely hear the gs6 records better audio.

And is not placebo on 1080p down scaled. It's much better video, especially in darker or sunset scenes. Look, I prefer my iPhone, but I'm not afraid to admit that when it comes to video recording the GS6 has seperated itself from the iPhone 6+.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh