I've been searching for an answer on the web, but can't seem to find any.

I have a very simple question if someone can help. When I use to sync my phone using iTunes, the photos on my iPhone would sync to iPhoto and be stored on my hard drive.

Now that with the Photos app on Mac, how do I import picture and make sure they are stored on the hard drive? I also transfer my pictures taken with a camera to iPhone so they would sync as well. When I take photograph on my phone, they instantly show up on Photos App as well as Photo Stream. Does this mean that it's stored onto the hard drive or is this just temporary.

If someone can explain. Thanks
    06-11-2015 03:11 PM
    When you take the picture on your phone does it instantly show up on your Photos app on your Mac?

If the answer is yes, then you have iCloud Photo Library setup on your Mac which means it uploads to your library but doesn't save on the hard drive of the Mac.

As far as syncing your phone on iTunes goes, I'm not sure that when the photos sync to the Photos app if they're necessarily being saved on the hard drive. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that part.
    06-11-2015 03:25 PM
    In Photos... on the menu - go to Photos...Preferences... click the iCloud tab... if Download to Mac is selected, that's what it does...
    06-11-2015 03:30 PM
    When you take the picture on your phone does it instantly show up on your Photos app on your Mac?

If the answer is yes, then you have iCloud Photo Library setup on your Mac which means it uploads to your library but doesn't save on the hard drive of the Mac.

As far as syncing your phone on iTunes goes, I'm not sure that when the photos sync to the Photos app if they're necessarily being saved on the hard drive. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that part.
    It does, but my iCloud photo library is not checked. I have it turned off both on the phone and Photos App. Yes, this is key for me if it automatically downloads, does it save on hard drive as well.
    06-11-2015 03:45 PM
    In Photos... on the menu - go to Photos...Preferences... click the iCloud tab... if Download to Mac is selected, that's what it does...
    It's not selected. Do you know if it automatically downloads photos if it's saved on the hard drive?
    06-11-2015 03:46 PM
    It's not selected. Do you know if it automatically downloads photos if it's saved on the hard drive?
    If the option is selected it does what it says... downloads to your hard drive.
    06-11-2015 04:03 PM
    If you're not using iCloud Photo Library at all then all you're doing is syncing through iTunes.

If you sync your photos on iTunes and they end up in the photos app, then they're saved on your hard drive.
    06-11-2015 04:10 PM