Is iPhone 6, 16GB Model enough for a Normal User ?

iamgrv

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks.
I'm currently using a Windows Phone and have decided to switch to Apple to experience the ecosystem as well. I know there are enough threads already related to this question but I needed to ask anyway.

I'm a normal user. I keep maximum 100-200 songs, and about 50-60 apps on my phone. I prefer streaming videos on my phone and not to keep them downloaded. I don't watch movies or play much games on it. I have a PC for that. But the thing that is forcing me to ask the same question is, how much storage does the new "Timelapse" and 240FPS Slo-Mo takes up (for a short duration, say like 20-30 secs). I have no idea about it. And yes, I am near a PC all the time so I prefer to keep my backup of my photos and videos on my PC.

So any of you iPhone users, who have taken Timelapse and Slo-Mo, can you please tell me how much size that takes because the camera is one of the features that has attracted me to make a switch.

Here are the final stats :
Available Storage : Around 12Gb out of 16 (I can reinstall apps again if the iOS update wants more space)
50-60 Apps : 3-4Gb roughly.
100-200 Songs : 2-3Gb.

So I have around 3-4Gb storage left for the camera. Please give your views about it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Although the 16 GB model should be sufficient, I highly recommend the 64 GB model, if you money isn't an issue. You'll be getting 4 times the amount for $100 more. Having said that, you could use the 16 GB model in conjunction with a cloud service if you get really low on storage space. Personally, I could easily get by with 16 Gigs, but the extra storage space that the 64 gig model offers allowed me to be a bit more lenient in regard to my storage habits.

iamgrv

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes I feel 64Gb is good enough but here, its costing almost 200$ extra for 64Gb model. That's why I asked for 16Gb. But I still need to know how much space slo-mo and timelapse takes up. If not much, then I will go for 16Gb otherwise I will have to go with 64Gb anyhow and I dont have the budget for it right now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes I feel 64Gb is good enough but here, its costing almost 200$ extra for 64Gb model. That's why I asked for 16Gb. But I still need to know how much space slo-mo and timelapse takes up. If not much, then I will go for 16Gb otherwise I will have to go with 64Gb anyhow and I dont have the budget for it right now.

Without knowing the length of the video(s), how could we possibly answer that question?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Personally I think apple should do away with 16gig phones. Most people I know with the 16gig model are always juggling space issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anon(4144202)

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Personally I think apple should do away with 16gig phones. Most people I know with the 16gig model are always juggling space issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From some rumors that's been showing up lately that's going to be the case on the 6s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks.
I'm currently using a Windows Phone and have decided to switch to Apple to experience the ecosystem as well. I know there are enough threads already related to this question but I needed to ask anyway.

I'm a normal user. I keep maximum 100-200 songs, and about 50-60 apps on my phone. I prefer streaming videos on my phone and not to keep them downloaded. I don't watch movies or play much games on it. I have a PC for that. But the thing that is forcing me to ask the same question is, how much storage does the new "Timelapse" and 240FPS Slo-Mo takes up (for a short duration, say like 20-30 secs). I have no idea about it. And yes, I am near a PC all the time so I prefer to keep my backup of my photos and videos on my PC.

So any of you iPhone users, who have taken Timelapse and Slo-Mo, can you please tell me how much size that takes because the camera is one of the features that has attracted me to make a switch.

Here are the final stats :
Available Storage : Around 12Gb out of 16 (I can reinstall apps again if the iOS update wants more space)
50-60 Apps : 3-4Gb roughly.
100-200 Songs : 2-3Gb.

So I have around 3-4Gb storage left for the camera. Please give your views about it.

Of course, YMMV, but 16GB is not enough for my needs.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If you have to tip-toe around the storage you should seriously consider at least 64. I have about 250 apps 2 iTunes movies a few gig of videos maybe 100 songs a ton of pics on a 64 and have 16 gig left. A lot of the apps I can get rid of the home video too and the pics just haven't gotten around to doing it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I do just fine with 16GB. I listen to my music at home and don't need a phone for that. I don't really use my phone for anything that takes up a lot of GB. I think I'd do just fine with about 8GB.

What is it that you all do with your phones that require at least a 64GB purchase??

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I have no problems with my 16gb iPhone 6, I still have 9gb left after all of my apps and maybe 30 songs.. I also invested in a 32 gb Sandisk Wifi Flash Drive for 40 at Best Buy.. Love it, for me I like the 'physical' backup over cloud, and I take my pictures off my phone every few weeks, whats the sense of taking pictures if they are going to sit on your phone and collect dust, with the wifi flash drive I can easily move them to my ipad or pc laptop.. All in all just my configuration, but for my needs, 16gb is more than enough at this time

anon(4144202)

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You can also always buy a space pack by mophie later if you find you need the extra space. It's basically a battery pack and extra storage for iPhones

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
You can also always buy a space pack by mophie later if you find you need the extra space. It's basically a battery pack and extra storage for iPhones

Eh it's not like taking say a micro sd card into an Android device or a USB stick with a laptop. Only certain files and has to be done through a special app

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No way 16 gigs is definitely not enough storage.

It's plenty if you only keep about 4 gigs of music. Many users have no music at all on their phone. I've made do with the 16 gb iP 5 for almost 2 years now. My limitations are a lot of music and huge apps over 300 mb.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice