Is iPhone 6, 16GB Model enough for a Normal User ?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I wondered too, but took the risk and bought a 16 GB. After many months I've settled in at around 26% space remaining, but then I only have maybe 50 songs, hundreds of photos but no videos.

It's certainly possible for some of us to get by with only 16 GB, but it's a risk - especially if you're into taking videos.

I use a 16 gb 5. I store small videos in Box. The large video files go in Dropbox. I also store photos, gifs, and png images in those apps. I don't keep much music. About 100 songs. I have 4.2 gb available. Got it in August of 2013.

FlyHigh365

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
There's no way I could deal with a 16GB iPhone. I have 19GB of music alone on my 64Gig iPhone. It would be a waste of money, for me, to purchase anything that holds 16GB.

whetrick1

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
The first iPhone 6 that I got was a 16 gb and when I saw how much storage I had I took it back under the trade in period. Paid an extra 100 dollars and got a 128 gb iPhone6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
16 wouldn't suite my needs at all. Having the 64 gives be piece of mind. It allows me to freely use my phone without worry as well.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd say 64GB is generally a better investment. You'll have enough space not to be concerned about it and should your usage habits grow you'll be covered. Further, I believe resale value may be better on the higher capacity models so there is that. That said, you don't need to get way more storage than you need. I got a 128GB 6+ and I just wasted money me thinks. 32-64GB would be more than enough given that I have other phones I use regularly. I think 64GB is a safe bet if not a fiscal burden.

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I've got a 16GB 6 Plus and it's about right for a normal user, but I tend to delete apps I don't use to keep some spare storage. I also keep my Pictures backed up to iCloud Photo Library, Microsoft OnDrive & Google Photos, now that there's Streaming within the Music app I don't need to purchase Music anymore and can download music temporarly when I know there is going to be any patchy cell service

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I've got a 16GB 6 Plus and it's about right for a normal user, but I tend to delete apps I don't use to keep some spare storage. I also keep my Pictures backed up to iCloud Photo Library, Microsoft OnDrive & Google Photos, now that there's Streaming within the Music app I don't need to purchase Music anymore and can download music temporarly when I know there is going to be any patchy cell service

It's not "right" for the normal user if your deleting apps. For $100 more or $5 depending on carrier ( Sprint) it's well worth spending the money for the 64GB. Sprint leasing plan is only $5 dollars more for each upgrade so $5 more per month for the 64GB or $10 more for the 128GB. With T-Mobile I think they just increase the down payment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
This is what I posted on another thread:
http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6/307109-16-gb-enough.html#post2389923

If you only have few songs and do not download a lot of games or apps 16GB should work good for you.

The problem with iPhone is that over time you start using the phone more and so more apps and more pictures and now you are at the point that you run out of space on the phone. So if you think you will be able to manage the space wisely, download pictures and videos promptly, delete apps that you don't use frequently you should be good.

If you are looking for a recommendation and can afford the extra $100 I would recommend to get the 64GB at least. This way you don't have to worry about space at all.

Trust me when I say that you will probably be using your iPhone more than your Android device. The quality of apps and quantity of apps is just insane.

Hopefully, everything works out for you whatever size phone you get...

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
This is what I posted on another thread:
http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6/307109-16-gb-enough.html#post2389923

If you only have few songs and do not download a lot of games or apps 16GB should work good for you.

The problem with iPhone is that over time you start using the phone more and so more apps and more pictures and now you are at the point that you run out of space on the phone. So if you think you will be able to manage the space wisely, download pictures and videos promptly, delete apps that you don't use frequently you should be good.

If you are looking for a recommendation and can afford the extra $100 I would recommend to get the 64GB at least. This way you don't have to worry about space at all.

Trust me when I say that you will probably be using your iPhone more than your Android device. The quality of apps and quantity of apps is just insane.

Hopefully, everything works out for you whatever size phone you get...

The only reason to buy the 16GB version is if that is the only one you can afford. You think you might not need more bit without expandable storage your stuck with 12-13gb or whatever is actually free. 16 gb was OK like 4-5 years ago when os's didn't take so much space like they do now. IOS takes like 10 on my 128GB while it took like 1-2 on the iPhone 4.

tom tang

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I own one iPhone 6, 16 GB recently. And the apps and songs took most of the space. And pics didn't. If you just one of Photo Fun. I think 16 GB is enough. In addition, you can use network cloud service if have no enough space.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If you want want a lot of either games, music, or movies, a 16 gig device will never suffice.

However, I use pandora for music, Netflix for movies, and don't have any games that take up a lot of a storage so I am 100% content with 16gb.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
My 80 year old Mom has an iPhone 4s with some really piddly-low amount of storage and whatever she has is enough/too much for her because all she does is look at her email and text us. 16GB is overkill for someone like her. I wonder how many in her age group are similar. I'd say IF you store ANY media on your phone...no, 16GB is not enough unless you plan to really juggle space or just suffer when you run out. I told my wife that 16GB was not enough for her and she was hard-headed and has to borrow my phones because she doesn't have enough space. Now she knows.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
16 GB is perfectly acceptable for a normal user. Notice how most of these people
Are saying they have tons and tons of music. Well then you are not a normal user then.

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
It's not "right" for the normal user if your deleting apps. For $100 more or $5 depending on carrier ( Sprint) it's well worth spending the money for the 64GB. Sprint leasing plan is only $5 dollars more for each upgrade so $5 more per month for the 64GB or $10 more for the 128GB. With T-Mobile I think they just increase the down payment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only like having apps on my iPhone I'm going to use, so I'll tend to download a few apps & see which has features that I really need or will be something that I'll use regularly (if not I'll delete it so I've got space to try different apps).

As I've also got a 16GB iPod Touch 5th Generation I tend to keep apps that won't get much use like iMovie or games that'll eat my battery or distract me when I'm on the bus.

With my 16GB iPhone 6 Plus I find that I'm having to delete less apps than what I had to with my 8GB iPhone 4S (I only had the choice of the 8GB model or paying ?99 upfront for a 5S from my Carrier Three UK, I bought my 6 Plus from Three UK as handset only for ?619.99 16GB was only in my budget for the 6 Plus. Since the iOS 8.4 update I seem to be having more free space compared with 8.3.

Roland

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I only like having apps on my iPhone I'm going to use, so I'll tend to download a few apps & see which has features that I really need or will be something that I'll use regularly (if not I'll delete it so I've got space to try different apps).

As I've also got a 16GB iPod Touch 5th Generation I tend to keep apps that won't get much use like iMovie or games that'll eat my battery or distract me when I'm on the bus.

With my 16GB iPhone 6 Plus I find that I'm having to delete less apps than what I had to with my 8GB iPhone 4S (I only had the choice of the 8GB model or paying ?99 upfront for a 5S from my Carrier Three UK, I bought my 6 Plus from Three UK as handset only for ?619.99 16GB was only in my budget for the 6 Plus. Since the iOS 8.4 update I seem to be having more free space compared with 8.3.

Roland

You're not a "normal user". Most users I would say are "normal" is people who have like 4-7 games like candy crush and etc, some music, take about 10-40 pictures a month perhaps have about 1-4 social media apps and maybe 4-15 more "other" apps like for banking. With effectively 12GB or so of free space that isn't a lot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2