NO SOUND with TEXT MESSAGES iPhone 6, just started this week. How can I fix this?

laf_1966

Jan 11, 2018
Visit site
Hello,

For me it was the following: I frequently use a bluetooth headset and/or headphones for calls and music and I also have bluetooth speakers.

Go to the settings for the text message tones. I assume that when you change the tone, you get vibration feedback, but not the alert/ringtone, when you change.

Now swipe up the "quick menu" from the bottom of the screen (i.e. where you can switch on flashlight, wlan, bluetooth etc.).

There click on the little presentation-like icon (Airplay) and check if it is set to iphone or bluetooth. For me it was set to Bluetooth.
And yes, you can have it set to Bluetooth, even when you have Bluetooth radio disabled. That is the problem.
When it is set to that, texts, calenders etc. sounds won't be playing. So switch the AirPlay to iPhone.

Hope this solves it for somebody.

phph
Thank you sooooo much. This stymied for days. Tried everything. This worked!

pcfam

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
"Irishsetter" about 4 msgs above is right, but on my iphone 6s, you don't go to the message and click "DETAILS," but rather you click the "i" icon (an i with a circle around it) in the upper R corner of the screen - that opens a new screen that has (2/3 of the way down the screen) a "HIDE ALERTS" toggle switch - so if that switch was toggled ON (green), then the phone wont chime for any incoming text from that address or that text message stream. So toggle it off, and then that particular phone number should generate a chime when it texts your phone. This worked for figuring out why my wife's phone would never chime when I was texting her (and it would also show the little crescent moon by the text msg, which I think means "do not disturb" (though in this case, it would more properly be called a "HIDE ALERT" icon.....

pcfam

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
NOTE: on my iphone 6s, you don't go to the message and click "DETAILS," (which was suggested as a fix earlier on this board) but rather you click the "i" icon (an i with a circle around it) in the upper R corner of the screen - that opens a new screen that has (2/3 of the way down the screen) a "HIDE ALERTS" toggle switch - so if that switch was toggled ON (green), then the phone wont chime for any incoming text from that address or that text message stream. So toggle it off, and then that particular phone number should generate a chime when it texts your phone. This worked for figuring out why my wife's phone would never chime when I was texting her (and it would also show the little crescent moon by the text msg, which I think means "do not disturb" (though in this case, it would more properly be called a "HIDE ALERT" icon.....

WolfM3

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
There is a mute switch on the left side of the iPhone make sure it isn't set to silent. On the iPad the switch is on the right.

Ahh good old mute switch that a new iPhone owner will surely forget about. Also some cases obscure the switch making it even harder to tell if you accidentally switched it on

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: no sound re: text messages

Love that you used the word whilst! I will write that word down to remember to use it more...thank you!

To whom are you replying?

In the future, please use the quote feature so readers can know to whom you’re replying. Thank you.

Fritjof

May 20, 2018
Visit site
Re: NO SOUND with TEXT MESSAGES iPhone 6, just started this week

Look at a text message in your list.
Click on the message.
Click on the little "i" in a circle, upper right corner.
That should take you to Details page (iOS 11). Not sure about iOS 10.
In iOS 11, make sure "Hide Alerts" is turned OFF for that person.
in iOS 10, make sure "Do Not Disturb" is turned OFF for that person.
There may be a global setting for ALL texts, but I don't know where that is.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW