NO SOUND with TEXT MESSAGES iPhone 6, just started this week. How can I fix this?

irishsetter

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
OKAY, after reading all this frustration with the same thing I've been experiencing I found a fix. Hope it works for some of you. Although DND was off, and the phone was reset more than once, texts were not alerting AND the message, which was delivered, had the crescent moon icon for DND. So, I went to the message and clicked on "details". There I found a slide telling me Do not disturb was on for this message! I slid it off, retested from my wife's phone several times and shazam, notification!
Check it out. I don't know if it was just my wife's phone because I don't text much, but check to see if the message has the moon icon and good luck.

cmwsing

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Wow, thank you so much this has solved my problem, I think it is a common problem and it's so frustrating when you feel that you have tried everything, so thank you very much for posting

tallblonde76

May 21, 2016
Visit site
THANK YOU SO MUCH. I had already checked do not disturb, it was off. But lo and behold, check ed my husband's msg and there was that little blue moon!!
Problem solved.

DanaLD

May 21, 2016
Visit site
I have been searching all day for the answer to this question. The same thing has happened to me. I fianally found the solution to my problem and maybe to yours. I found out that I had somehow set the DND function for just one text contact. Try this: go to the text message stream that has not been getting notifications, click "Details" on the upper right and see if Do Not Disturb is on for that contact. I found out it was, clicked it off, and began to get message notifications again. Good luck.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I have at Text messages & alert / notification issue
I get no audible alerts when diving in my car and the BT is enabled to use the cars BT for calling.
However, audible alerts for emails work.
When I turn off BT on my iPhone 6s, all audible alerts / notifications come through.
My wife iPhone 6 has no issues in my car.

This also happens when I'm in my wife's car.

TIA

Amber Taylor1

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

For me it was the following: I frequently use a bluetooth headset and/or headphones for calls and music and I also have bluetooth speakers.

Go to the settings for the text message tones. I assume that when you change the tone, you get vibration feedback, but not the alert/ringtone, when you change.

Now swipe up the "quick menu" from the bottom of the screen (i.e. where you can switch on flashlight, wlan, bluetooth etc.).

There click on the little presentation-like icon (Airplay) and check if it is set to iphone or bluetooth. For me it was set to Bluetooth.
And yes, you can have it set to Bluetooth, even when you have Bluetooth radio disabled. That is the problem.
When it is set to that, texts, calenders etc. sounds won't be playing. So switch the AirPlay to iPhone.

Hope this solves it for somebody.

phph

This definitely helped me. I always leave my phone connected to the Bluetooth in my car and always forget to turn it off.

portiah

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi, don't understand about air vs bluetooth. I have my bluetooth enabled on my 4s for when I am in my car. My phone sounds when a call is coming in, but vibrates only for texts, whatsapp, etc. help!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi, don't understand about air vs bluetooth. I have my bluetooth enabled on my 4s for when I am in my car. My phone sounds when a call is coming in, but vibrates only for texts, whatsapp, etc. help!

That's normal. Try going to Settings > Bluetooth, then tapping the (i) next to your car's Bluetooth listing and toggling ON Show Notifications. It might start forwarding your notifications to your car.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
That's normal. Try going to Settings > Bluetooth, then tapping the (i) next to your car's Bluetooth listing and toggling ON Show Notifications. It might start forwarding your notifications to your car.

Tks DB,
Somehow this feature got turned off for the last 6 months & had no idea how to get it back.
Good Luck

Last edited:

FirecrackerBaby57

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Open a message and click on the details icon (little i in the circle) for that contact and check to see that you do not have the "do not disturb" button checked for that contact. This is separate from the general "do not disturb" in settings and can be determined for each individual contact. Hope this helps...it fixed our problem!

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Open a message and click on the details icon (little i in the circle) for that contact and check to see that you do not have the "do not disturb" button checked for that contact. This is separate from the general "do not disturb" in settings and can be determined for each individual contact. Hope this helps...it fixed our problem!
I don't see where you can add the DnD for an individual contact.
TIA

justme_glynn

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
How simple and how it caused so many problems. It really was just common since. Lolol. Im good to go. Maybe next problem I ill think of the simple things that can caused it. (Thus us not cell stuff but advice from my husband when working on things) All things work only how they work. You address the issue accordingly. SO, What items can cause phone to have no sound???? Duh, BLUETOOTH, thanks phone_phisher

jlynn0703

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
I have had my iPhone 6s for about a week and have the problem that it periodically quits sounding for text messages and other apps. Volume is on, up all the way, tones are set. When I go to sounds I have my tone selected and even changing tones to test the sound does not work. I have tried to find this Airplay, but it is not there, even following these directions. I have to do a soft reboot every time. Any other suggestions? I do not have any bluetooth connected when this happens.

Teresa Smith 2015

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

For me it was the following: I frequently use a bluetooth headset and/or headphones for calls and music and I also have bluetooth speakers.

Go to the settings for the text message tones. I assume that when you change the tone, you get vibration feedback, but not the alert/ringtone, when you change.

Now swipe up the "quick menu" from the bottom of the screen (i.e. where you can switch on flashlight, wlan, bluetooth etc.).

There click on the little presentation-like icon (Airplay) and check if it is set to iphone or bluetooth. For me it was set to Bluetooth.
And yes, you can have it set to Bluetooth, even when you have Bluetooth radio disabled. That is the problem.
When it is set to that, texts, calenders etc. sounds won't be playing. So switch the AirPlay to iPhone.

Hope this solves it for somebody.

phph

It worked for me. That was the problem. Thank you a million times

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner