NO SOUND with TEXT MESSAGES iPhone 6, just started this week. How can I fix this?

barblyn

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Irishsetter, that was my problem too. I wasn't getting sound from my daugther's text and we text all the time. I set her account to DND a while back when I knew she was going to text and I wanted to make sure the sound was off while I was somewhere where I wouldn't want that loud "horn". Of course, then I forgot to set it off. I usually just set the phone to silent and/or leave headphones in but I wanted to be doubly safe. Won't do that again.:)

dramaw54

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
I recently purchased an Apple Watch. The lack of sound at times started then. The phone has to stay on Bluetooth for the watch to work, but then there are times when the watch won't even notify, for example you get two txt at a time. It only happens to those contacts of mine that have an apple phone or watch. Txt messages from anyone else result in the correct sound. If I didn't have the flashing light set for calls and messages I would be missing many of them myself.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
@dramaw54 Them having a watch makes no difference. Check in messages to see if "Do Not Disturb" is toggled on for those contacts. Go to messages> Tap details in the upper right corner > scroll down and toggle do not disturb off.
Let us know if that works.

GarreB

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Re: NO SOUND with TEXT MESSAGES iPhone 6, just started this week

Help, I have done everything single thing three times over on every single forum. I don't get SOUND for incoming text messages, only from people using iMessage via their iPad or computer. This is causing me a lot of trouble. I'm missing really important things daily.

I'm at the end of the rope here. I'm ready to go back to Droid as iPhone has more glitches-and they never stop.

YES the do not disturb sign is OFF
YES the sound is ON
YES the notification sound is ON.

PLEASE help.

Paul Birch1

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issues with my sounds for messages, skype, facetime, and whatsapp not working. It was causing me lots of headaches because people thought I was ignoring them. I tried all the suggestions except reloading. I didn't think that was a realistic option. I got to playing and going through the setting. I noticed a setting for Do Not Disturb. I had never touched it but I thought I would take a look. I went in and saw that manual was set to on and so was repeated call. I read what it said about the setting and it made sense that they were on. I went out of settings and noticed a moon up to the right of the time. I had just read that if Do Not Disturb was on that there would be a moon icon. I had never turned it on, but there it was. I went back into settings. then back into Do Not Disturb and turned off Manual. Went back to the main screen and there was no more moon and most importantly my sounds for messages, skype, facetime, and whatsapp were working again. I hope this helps you too!

digitalnabi

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

For me it was the following: I frequently use a bluetooth headset and/or headphones for calls and music and I also have bluetooth speakers.

Go to the settings for the text message tones. I assume that when you change the tone, you get vibration feedback, but not the alert/ringtone, when you change.

Now swipe up the "quick menu" from the bottom of the screen (i.e. where you can switch on flashlight, wlan, bluetooth etc.).

There click on the little presentation-like icon (Airplay) and check if it is set to iphone or bluetooth. For me it was set to Bluetooth.
And yes, you can have it set to Bluetooth, even when you have Bluetooth radio disabled. That is the problem.
When it is set to that, texts, calenders etc. sounds won't be playing. So switch the AirPlay to iPhone.

Hope this solves it for somebody.

phph

Thank you!! This has been driving me crazy and I was beginning to question my sanity after multiple restarts and resets!

avasfrolix

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site

Help, I have done everything single thing three times over on every single forum. I don't get SOUND for incoming text messages, only from people using iMessage via their iPad or computer. This is causing me a lot of trouble. I'm missing really important things daily.

I'm at the end of the rope here. I'm ready to go back to Droid as iPhone has more glitches-and they never stop.

YES the do not disturb sign is OFF
YES the sound is ON
YES the notification sound is ON.

PLEASE help.

Try turning off your Bluetooth. Sounds weird but it worked for me!

Stella Burnham

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site

It is not a common "issue"...it is an isolated issue affecting only a very tiny % of the consumer base, and is best remedied by either a restore or having the device replaced/repaired by Apple if the restore doesn't remedy what is happening. Apple is not going to "fix" something that is affecting such a small amount of users.

Same here...suddenly no alerts...it's driving me nuts. I miss things all the time because of it.

wmnnj

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
I have the iphone 6s also and I never know if I get a text message either. There are many glitches with this phone and I am so regretting buying it! I have even more regret over the fact that I just let it update to more rotten issues like having to put my pwd in repeatedly now, it asks you to use your thumb print but never uses it, everything sux abt this phone. I had the 5c I think it was, it was great. Now, not so much.

wmnnj

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site

It is a Common issue. Many have it. 2 people on my plan have it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

You're not making it clear just what problems you have. Let's first take the no sound on text message. Have you checked in messages to see if you have "do not Disturb" turned on. If you do, turn it off. You would need to check this on each contact that has no sound. In iOS 10, tap the i in the upper right corner > scroll down to "do not Disturb". Turn off.
Tap the i
3eee14975ffd9cb13d38f7b3b8a1f712.jpg

Turn off
529bacb913a6dff4a7a2dbfe700f8842.jpg

Do other sounds work? Do you hear the call ringer?

JayJay10

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem and fixed it yesterday. Here is how:
Go to Settings -> General ->Reset ->Reset all settings

This solved the problem and I didn't lose my data, however I lost all of my personal preferences I had to reset like my font size, ringtone etc.

I hope this helps

wmnnj

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
I have the same phone i phone 6 plus
and same issues and I totally agree with you. I am going to try to call Apple today to see about rectifying this.

wmnnj

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
I think the update caused tons of issues for many. I hear complaints from all my friends and family since the update.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro