Can you insert a memory card into an iPhone 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: can you insert a memory card into an iphone 6?

...People made a big deal out of bendgate, but don't know that the phone they complained about for a month has no SD slot...

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Like I said before in this thread...it's funny how people guaranteed Apple would move to external storage eventually, but now the competitive manufacturers are moving away from it. Why? Because it's not going to happen.

Consumers do have a voice. Consumers need to remember that with that voice, they have to use some common sense and logic. The second part of that is what is so often forgotten when a person starts "pining", and starts complaining that these "missing" features should be included on the iPhone. It has little to nothing to do with Apple apologists, it's just common sense. Reality, if you will.

And again, how can you logically say that Apple's priorities don't include increasing their user base? They ALWAYS increase their user base...year after year after year. They give consumers what they want, and they do it while charging a price that people are obviously perfectly prepared to pay...IN DROVES.

At the end of the day, the market as a whole is moving away from external storage in this regard...Apple just happened to be ahead of the game this time. Just because a niche of the market still clamors for it doesn't mean it has any momentum (See: LED notification light from BB devices, lol).

And I have to focus in on something you said...the cost of iCloud storage is hilariously inexpensive. If you can't afford $50/year for 200GB of additional storage on top of your device investment (which transcends devices no less for eternity), why do you even own a smart phone? Such a tiny investment for almost twice the capacity of the largest storage option on the iPhone...and people complain about it? I bet you spend more charging your iPhone over a year than that costs...lol.

I agree it won't happen. I can still want it.
They are prioritizing margin over more users for sure. For Macbook Pro I get it. I think they would be better at this point by easing up on margins to grow users. That's my opinion. Yours is different, neither is 'common sense'.
Ho said I can't afford it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Some people complain about Apple's lack of feature in comparison to its competitors. Others complain that their products are too expensive for what they offer. Both defend their opinions by saying that if they only provided what their competitors provide and drop the price a little then they can gain more customers. It's as if they are looking out for Apple's best interest when in fact they're looking out for their own. Like any successful company, Apple has invested millions into research & development and have decided on the best course of action for the goals it has set for itself. That course of action has allowed it to become the most successful company in the world and therefore, they don't need to lower prices or offer certain features in an attempt to gain more customers. Heck, as already stated, they're acquiring new customers as we speak. At this point, some will say, "look what happened to IBM or RIM. If Apple doesn't change, it too will see a similar downfall. Newsflash! Nothing and no one stays on top forever - not even Apple. A new generation of young people will likely come along and view it as the Buick of the technology world, i.e., something from their parents' and grandparents' era and then shy away from it. Anyway, my point is this: Apple does not need to incorporate every feature that its competitors have in order to be successful and gain more customers. It is the standard by which all others are compared.

Who's complaining? Just wish they weren't so closed off in every aspect. Still by far the best devices and system. But as a user think it could be even better.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Who's complaining? Just wish they weren't so closed off in every aspect. Still by far the best devices and system. But as a user think it could be even better.

Of course, it can be better, but being better doesn't necessarily mean adding the features I want or the features you want, at least not in regard to what's better for customers "overall".

boltz82

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

This is from a article that Karen Coulter posted a while ago.

Business Models

Apple?s business model is straightforward: It aims to make the best products in the world by designing hardware, software, and services in tandem. Because Apple?s products are meaningfully different than those of its competitors, the company can charge a premium for them, which it invests into making better products. These new products are then sold at a premium, and the company then takes some of that premium to design the next generation of products. It?s a self-perpetuating cycle: The premiums from one generation of products funds the development of the next.
Over the last decade, Apple has learned how to manufacture complex products with incredible fit and finish at a scale that?s unprecedented in human history. Apple manufactured 34,000 iPhones per hour last quarter, yet iPhones feel nice in a way that few objects, manufactured at any scale, do. This is because of the way they?re made and because of the materials they?re made with.

Apple invests in manufacturing innovation and uses premium materials because its goal is to make the best phone in the world, and the nicer your iPhone feels, the better it is. Android OEMs, on the other hand, either don?t make enough money to invest in manufacturing and materials the way Apple does, or they don?t see a return that justifies the investment. iPhones are nicer than Android phones because of Apple?s business model.

http://mattrichman.net/post/115307513943/wallets-business-models-and-the-coming

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

This is an insane article at a couple of points in my opinion:

1. Yes, it charges a premium that it then invests for the next product. But one shouldn't be fooled that is why the premiums we pay are so high. There are reasons why Apple's net worth is what it is and why their stock trades so high. Profits. Rather than make 70% gross on a phone, give some off, get 50% gross and expand your user base.

2. Premium materials? This is laughable. What is so premium about an iPhone in regards to their materials? Internally they are a wash with most manufacturers. Externally they use aluminum, one of the most widely available, cheap, and fragile materials they could make a phone out of.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

Of course, it can be better, but being better doesn't necessarily mean adding the features I want or the features you want, at least not in regard to what's better for customers "overall".

I think this is a very fair point.

Again, avoiding unnecessary or premature feature creep is a skill Apple seems to have mastered.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

They are prioritizing margin over more users for sure. For Macbook Pro I get it. I think they would be better at this point by easing up on margins to grow users. That's my opinion. Yours is different, neither is 'common sense'.

Who are you calling a "Ho"? #bwahaha

By buying Apple's products, you are subsidizing their business model - and supporting the decisions that they have made with what they manufacture and sell. The profit realized on the devices that you bought simply tells them that you agree with what you are doing. Can't have it both ways.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

My comment about the cost of iCloud storage was a general statement...it was not insinuating anyone specifically could or could not afford it...calm down buddy.

As far as priorities...I don't think you understand how complex a company the size of Apple's priorities can be. They are not just one or the other type deals...not anywhere near that black and white. Again (and I don't know why I'm having to say this again), they are a business, so of course profit margins are going to be at the forefront of their decision making...they wouldn't be a successful business if they operated outside of that basic parameter. Within that business model, you have several connective moves to achieve such...and growing their consumer base would obviously be front and center, and then you cycle down the other various things Apple does to retain the dominance they currently have.

How is this a foreign idea? This is basic business. Apple is in the market to make money...they make money by growing their consumer base. It's a cycle...not a mutually exclusive formula.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

1. Yes, it charges a premium that it then invests for the next product. But one shouldn't be fooled that is why the premiums we pay are so high. There are reasons why Apple's net worth is what it is and why their stock trades so high. Profits. Rather than make 70% gross on a phone, give some off, get 50% gross and expand your user base.

2. Premium materials? This is laughable. What is so premium about an iPhone in regards to their materials? Internally they are a wash with most manufacturers. Externally they use aluminum, one of the most widely available, cheap, and fragile materials they could make a phone out of.

So what should they make a phone out of? Samsung had been using plastic and pretty much charge the same as a iPhone.
When you say expand your base. Dude what reality are you living in?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

1.) Why would a company lower their profit margin to increase their consumer base when their consumer base continues to grow exponentially with the margins where they are? You're approaching this purely from a consumer mindset...you're asking a company who sells a successful product to lower the price so more people can afford to own it.

This not only makes no sense to a business in the state Apple is in, but it also diminishes the brand...would you ask Porsche to lower the price of their entry level cars to more closely match VW just because it would "grow" the amount of people at the bottom end that could buy into the brand?

2.) It costs more to manufacture a smart phone out of aluminum vs. plastic...therefore Apple uses a premium material by using aluminum in comparison with most other smart phone manufacturers who still use plastics. Premium doesn't always equate to "best", sometimes it simply indicates "better" (and even then, it depends on the nature of the discussion). Based on price alone, Aluminum is a premium product compared to plastic.

Last edited:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

My comment about the cost of iCloud storage was a general statement...it was not insinuating anyone specifically could or could not afford it...calm down buddy.

As far as priorities...I don't think you understand how complex a company the size of Apple's priorities can be. They are not just one or the other type deals...not anywhere near that black and white. Again (and I don't know why I'm having to say this again), they are a business, so of course profit margins are going to be at the forefront of their decision making...they wouldn't be a successful business if they operated outside of that basic parameter. Within that business model, you have several connective moves to achieve such...and growing their consumer base would obviously be front and center, and then you cycle down the other various things Apple does to retain the dominance they currently have.

How is this a foreign idea? This is basic business. Apple is in the market to make money...they make money by growing their consumer base. It's a cycle...not a mutually exclusive formula.

Not really sure what you hear when you read "Who said I couldn't afford it?" Weird.

boltz82

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

1.) Why would a company lower their profit margin to increase their consumer base when their consumer base continues to grow exponentially with the margins where they are? You're approaching this purely from a consumer mindset...you're asking a company who sells a successful product to lower the price so more people can afford to own it.

This not only makes no sense to a business in the state Apple is in, but it also diminishes the brand...would you ask Porsche to lower the price of their entry level cars to more closely match VW just because it would "grow" the amount of people at the bottom end that could buy into the brand?

2.) Aluminum costs more than plastic...most of the smart phone world uses plastic. Apple premium materials compared to most of it's competition.

1. I understand your point about the consumer debate . It's certainly valid, but so is my point. Although your analogy doesn't hold water to me. Completely different aspects, although again I get your point.

2. I strongly urge you to reconsider as you are incorrect, polycarbonate is more expensive than aluminum.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Oh I ha a typo! That is way funny. I definitely don't talk that kind of jive!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

1. I understand your point about the consumer debate . It's certainly valid, but so is my point. Although your analogy doesn't hold water to me. Completely different aspects, although again I get your point.

2. I strongly urge you to reconsider as you are incorrect, polycarbonate is more expensive than aluminum.

1.) My analogy is perfectly relevant...both Porsche and Apple are considered luxury brands. They don't make "entry level products" (as people generally define such), therefore lowering the price of their products diminishes the brand if the only rational for it is to bring in more consumers (in reflection of a lower price tag).

2.) The material cost and cost to manufacture a product from such are two different things only related by the material itself. It costs more to manufacture a product like the iPhone out of aluminum than it does to manufacture it out of plastic...in this specific scenario, the aluminum material is a premium material...this is why the iPhone 5c was made out of plastic.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
1.) My analogy is perfectly relevant...both Porsche and Apple are considered luxury brands. They don't make "entry level products" (as people generally define such), therefore lowering the price of their products diminishes the brand if the only rational for it is to bring in more consumers (in reflection of a lower price tag).

2.) The material cost and cost to manufacture a product from such are two different things only related by the material itself. It costs more to manufacture a product like the iPhone out of aluminum than it does to manufacture it out of plastic...in this specific scenario, the aluminum material is a premium material...this is why the iPhone 5c was made out of plastic.

That's just it Sean. I think expandable storage would expand below luxury. I think they can certainly afford it and benefit from more customers in new ways. They can always offer something higher end. The point is their choice of more storage as the premium offering is really not a premium tech. It's just an artificial higher price. Because they can.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That's just it Sean. I think expandable storage would expand below luxury. I think they can certainly afford it and benefit from more customers in new ways. They can always offer something higher end. The point is their choice of more storage as the premium offering is really not a premium tech. It's just an artificial higher price. Because they can.

That's fine...you can think that just as others can think the opposite. The reality of it is though...Apple moved on from it a long time ago, and now their competition is moving away from it...so it is not a relevant tech anymore. People demanded cassette players for nearly 2 decades after other forms of media became the dominant source...but eventually, it just isn't relevant enough to expect in the consumer world.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
That's fine...you can think that just as others can think the opposite. The reality of it is though...Apple moved on from it a long time ago, and now their competition is moving away from it...so it is not a relevant tech anymore. People demanded cassette players for nearly 2 decades after other forms of media became the dominant source...but eventually, it just isn't relevant enough to expect in the consumer world.

Flash storage is still relevant. It's the locking out of flexibility that is becoming more popular. And I'm not in favor of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2