Can you insert a memory card into an iPhone 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
So if you are given a choice between beating the drum (and your head against a wall) to SOMEDAY POSSIBLY get what you want (or "need"); and going a different direction to get something that works as you want it TODAY, why is "get the one that works for you and meets your needs" the wrong answer?

You already know the answer. We are all IOS device fanatics here. We just want to voice how it can be improved. The funny part is if no one commented the threads you don't agree with would go cold. Instead the are kept alive by the defenders of the apple way - ignoring that apple evolves, changes, updates, adds etc etc. Discussions like these are healthy not a waste of time. If you think they are, just let them go cold. It would certainly be a lot more friendly and democratic.

Last edited:

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
So if you are given a choice between beating the drum (and your head against a wall) to SOMEDAY POSSIBLY get what you want (or "need"); and going a different direction to get something that works as you want it TODAY, why is "get the one that works for you and meets your needs" the wrong answer?

Perhaps because overall the Cupertino phone works the best out of the available choices but, why should anyone just settle? Why not offer up suggestions that offer a choice of other apps or options for those that find them useful? why must this be the wrong answer? Why does having a friendly non confrontational debate about certain things that some would consider an improvement have to be the wrong answer? Phones only get better if consumers speak out about what they would like to see. Not just praise for what is already there and the petty BS about how if it was such a great idea why didn't apple incorporate it into their phone

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: can you insert a memory card into an iphone 6?

Actually if apple allowed removable storage and the base storage upgrade I would probably take advantage of both. I bet others would do the same. The more I can hold, the more I can do. Same for removable batteries. I so miss those days. Especially in the summer when vacationing or at a conference etc. normal everyday use is covered but it's not a non issue by any means.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Actually if apple allowed removable storage and the base storage upgrade I would probably take advantage of both. I bet others would do the same. The more I can hold, the more I can do. Same for removable batteries. I so miss those days. Especially in the summer when vacationing or at a conference etc. normal everyday use is covered but it's not a non issue by any means.

Oh and imagine a tiny card slot in my watch for removable storage! I would shove my entire music collection on their. No real cost to Apple besides the aesthetics and water resistance. They could overcome those. Oh and a removable battery for the watch! Ok I won't mention a blinky light for the watch. The love taps are enough.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
..... We are all IOS device fanatics here. We just want to voice how it can be improved. .... Instead the are kept alive by the defenders of the apple way - ignoring that apple evolves, changes, updates, adds etc etc. Discussions like these are healthy not a waste of time. If you think they are, just let them go cold. It would certainly be a lot more friendly and democratic.

Not all of us are "iOS device fanatics", but I think a majority of us are. Anyway, you are indeed voicing how the device can be improved, but others are voicing how it does not need to be improved in the manner some would like. You can't ask others to be welcoming of your opinion while not being welcoming to theirs. Trying to prove one's point when there is no point to prove is how discussions like this get derailed. This is indeed a democratic-like discussion, but what it isn't is a thread in which everyone is in agreement. Having said that, I've quoted you a few times, but I'm not trying to pick on you or anything and I hope you don't take it that way. In fact, I truly enjoy reading your posts....:)

Last edited:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Not all of us are "iOS device fanatics", but I think a majority of us are. Anyway, you are indeed voicing how the device can be improved, but others are voicing how it does not need to be improved in the manner some would like. You can't ask others to be welcoming of your opinion while not being welcoming to theirs. Trying to prove one's point when there is no point to prove is how discussions like this gets derailed. This is indeed a democratic-like discussion, but what it isn't is a thread in which everyone is in agreement. Having said that, I've quoted you a few times, but I'm not trying to pick on you or anything and I hope you don't take it that way. In fact, I truly enjoy reading your posts....:)

Yeah pretty much agreed. There is considerable snark in the last 6 months that is just not friendly. It's too bad because it's only from the same few posters coloring the tone of the entire forum.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I am going to chalk this up to having to agree to disagree. It seems that every valid point that someone has brought here that can be deemed ever so slightly against Apple you have debated. You make statements in which you present yourself as having facts while others present opinions. What knowledge base are you drawing from when you state that the cost to manufacture the iPhone out of aluminum cost more than it would out of plastic? Additionally, I stated polycarbonate, not plastic. There is a difference. The point that I make is that unless you are intricately involved with the design and development of the iPhone you are speculating just like myself and everyone else here. It just seems that you are accepting of everything Apple, that Apple can do no wrong.

lol...what? I complain all the time about various things Apple does, I don't find use in half the stuff they make, and there are choices that Apple has made on certain products they sell that literally made me laugh out loud (IE: removing USB inputs on their entry personal computer choice, pricing on Apple Watch, the Apple TV as a WHOLE).

You disagree with me, so for some reason you're labeling me a mindless Apple drone. Unfair but not surprising...

As far as my understanding of manufacturing processes...I actually do have some knowledge on the subject, but putting that small amount of research I've done over time, what I said was just common sense, not speculation. Producing things out of plastic is cheaper than aluminum...it's why we have coke bottles instead of 24oz coke cans (that and design shortcomings as well)...plastic license plates vs. aluminum ones (even though the aluminum ones last FAR longer than the new options apparently.

And yes, polycarbonate is a bit different...but it's also a little cheaper than plastic in bulk, but retains the same manufacturing simplicity.

It's fine if you want to assume I was just talking out of my a$$ though, I don't really care...you can go look online and read all of this stuff too. Google is a hell of a thing.

I also would argue as to why the 5C was made from plastic. While a more inexpensive version released that year it was mostly based on a previous generations hardware, thus driving the cost down.

That is an assumption...and you can hold that idea if you want. I, personally, was going by specific information from and IHS teardown and comparison between the iPhone 5 and the 5c (the 5c was cheaper, with the same parts...go figure, the plastic made it cost less)...but what would they know? They've only made a career of figuring out how much things cost at a base line.

I am an owner of numerous iProducts. Long time fan. I received my first iPod in the early 2000s. After well over a decade of supporting Apple in one fashion or another I feel as though I have earned the right to critic. The facts are that Apple could charge far less for their memory and still turn a profit and have no impact on R&D. They could make their phones out of more premium and durable materials and not have to vary the price of the phone at all. Carl Ikahn values Apple somewhere between $700B and $1T. Some of that is due to what we, as consumers, are paying for their products. I believe a better analogy than the one you used is the jewelry maker Tiffany. Some of their most successful products are sterling silver, necklaces and bracelets. Is the quality of their products really better than that of their rivals? No. Did the R&D involved in developing those products exceed that of their rivals? No. They charge what they do because people are willing to pay for it. If they lowered the outrageous prices they charged for those items it is with a doubt more people would purchase them. Does that diminish the brand? I don't believe so. They still have their high end products, ie $26k engagement rings, etc. Apple is no different, they would still have their high end offerings as well.

Most of that was just opinionated mumbo jumbo...you can have that. I have to focus attention on your use of the term "outrageous" though, because I don't think you quite understand what the word means, or you're just meaningfully using it improperly (why, I have no idea). Nobody would buy the iPhone if it was actually priced "outrageously".

To high in your opinion? Fine. Lots of people have opinions...I won't argue that. Priced "outrageously"? Not even remotely.

And your point about diminishing the brand (or better put, NOT diminishing the brand) shows me you don't really understand how such a concept works. If you take a luxury brand, and you add lower tier products to said brand so that people on the bottom end can afford to have it...you've diminished the brand. Lowering the cost of Apple products so more people can afford them diminishes the brand in this same light.

Apple is also not relatable to Tiffany in terms of pricing of the spectrum of products because Apple has such a tiny fraction of varying things to price. You have a phone, a tablet, a computer line and a few accessories (watch, TV, etc)...Tiffany on the other hand has probably a thousand different things under the spectrum of Jewelry...meaning they have the ability to offer certain products at the low end because that is where the product exists.

Also, entry level becomes a whole different world when you talk about custom and elite level jewelry...a $5,000 entry level ring is still a $5,000 ring. A $100 phone is a far more obtainable "entry level" product, so the brand can be HEAVILY diminished with much smaller cost adjustments.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah pretty much agreed. There is considerable snark in the last 6 months that is just not friendly. It's too bad because it's only from the same few posters coloring the tone of the entire forum.

I've been the same a$$hole since i signed up on TiPb some 7-8 years ago, lol. I like to argue, I like to pick holes in people's comments and I enjoy a good debate...but I also like people being fair, and speaking about subjects with some level of legitimate understanding. I also have no problem with people having opinions...but I just never understand why people have such a problem with defending their opinions? Why is it so insulting to some when people question their logic, push for more information to support an opinion or just generally question someone's post?

It's becoming so obvious that society is moving towards this idea that you should be able to say whatever you want without any retort (unless it's in agreement)...WTF is that? Grow some thicker skin folks, christ oh mighty. This place is about as civil and friendly as it gets online in terms of technology forums, blogs or websites...and yet people are still **** hurt ALL THE TIME because someone, somewhere doesn't agree with them, lol.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
... Why is it so insulting to some when people question their logic, push for more information to support an opinion or just generally question someone's post?

It's becoming so obvious that society is moving towards this idea that you should be able to say whatever you want without any retort (unless it's in agreement)...WTF is that? ...

Now this is spot-on....:)

boltz82

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Okay, I stated previously that I would agree to disagree and therefore I do not want to address all of what you said. I do want to make two comments though:

1. I apologize if I came across as identifying you as a "mindless Apple drone". That was not my intent. I have limited exposure to anything you have stated on iMore. My comments towards you were based solely on this post and should have been conveyed more clearly.

2. I feel as though on some level you attacked in stating that I don't understand the use of the word outrageous. To me this was and is insulting. The manner of which I used the word was in stating an opinion. Sterling silver trades for $.49 a gram. Tiffany bracelets are 38 grams and sell for $300. $300 for under $20 worth of sterling silver to me is outrageous. In reading your post I get the impression that you thought that I was making that comment towards Apple. I believe that is you reread my previous post you'll see that you were/are in error.

It has been interesting reading your posts, I look forward to reading more of them in the future.

boltz82

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, last post was meant for SeanHRCC, I forgot to hit "quote".

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Okay, I stated previously that I would agree to disagree and therefore I do not want to address all of what you said. I do want to make two comments though:

1. I apologize if I came across as identifying you as a "mindless Apple drone". That was not my intent. I have limited exposure to anything you have stated on iMore. My comments towards you were based solely on this post and should have been conveyed more clearly.

Thank you. I assure you, I'm not loyal to any consumer product...the idea of that, to me, is silly. I just buy whatever feels right at the time.

2. I feel as though on some level you attacked in stating that I don't understand the use of the word outrageous. To me this was and is insulting. The manner of which I used the word was in stating an opinion. Sterling silver trades for $.49 a gram. Tiffany bracelets are 38 grams and sell for $300. $300 for under $20 worth of sterling silver to me is outrageous. In reading your post I get the impression that you thought that I was making that comment towards Apple. I believe that is you reread my previous post you'll see that you were/are in error.

It has been interesting reading your posts, I look forward to reading more of them in the future.

I must apologize here...reading your post, it seemed directly related to pricing relative to both the sterling silver jewelry AND Apple's products, but if you're saying you were simply reflecting upon Tiffany's products, my apologies for incorrectly assuming otherwise.

...that said, if you're giving up on the debate, there's really nothing more to talk about.

boltz82

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Thank you. I assure you, I'm not loyal to any consumer product...the idea of that, to me, is silly. I just buy whatever feels right at the time.

I must apologize here...reading your post, it seemed directly related to pricing relative to both the sterling silver jewelry AND Apple's products, but if you're saying you were simply reflecting upon Tiffany's products, my apologies for incorrectly assuming otherwise.

...that said, if you're giving up on the debate, there's really nothing more to talk about.

Life's too short to spend hours arguing on a tech site about the merits of an inanimate object. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Life's too short to spend hours arguing on a tech site about the merits of an inanimate object. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Takes me a few seconds to post a response...and I don't sit around all day waiting for you guys to retort, I just come back later when I'm at my computer and do it. Hardly any investment of time at all, but if you feel you've expended your allotted amount, that's on you...don't insinuate that it's a waste of time for everyone just because you're throwing in the towel.

boltz82

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

There was no insinuation. Just my personal preference about me. You seem to misconstrue everything I say in a negative manner. I harbor no Ill feelings to anyone here. Additionally, I haven't thrown in the preverbal towel. I just believe there comes a point in time where it becomes fairly obvious that you aren't going to sway some people. I also know that I am strong in my convictions and won't be swayed as well. So why continue the banter? Why would I apologize, wish you a good weekend, all while insulting you?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

This thread should have been over at post #2... Has been in the weeds since post #10... Time to let it go...

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
And even so, the butt-ugly hot mess of blackberry hub is NOT the answer to any iPhone notification deficiency. On any planet. In any lifetime.

Hank said **** ugly hot mess again. Everyone drink. Lol. I agree that apple overcharges for storage. So does Samsung now. Its a bad trend for the consumer. I also agree that SD cards are not ideal. I've had issues with them in the past. I currently have a 32 GB Nexus which is more than enough as I use Google drive and other cloud storage options.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

Got a 128G iphone so that i wouldn't have to deal with memory cards. Increased my iCloud storage so that I could keep my movies in the cloud.
I'm still at 66G free on my phone.
By the time I reach 100G used on my phone there will be 256G memory available on my iPhone.
Nope.....don't need no memory cards no how no way....

Exactly my point darl...... I'm on the same boat and memory is never an issue with me

Sent from my iPhone 6plus using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

There was no insinuation. Just my personal preference about me. You seem to misconstrue everything I say in a negative manner. I harbor no Ill feelings to anyone here. Additionally, I haven't thrown in the preverbal towel. I just believe there comes a point in time where it becomes fairly obvious that you aren't going to sway some people. I also know that I am strong in my convictions and won't be swayed as well. So why continue the banter? Why would I apologize, wish you a good weekend, all while insulting you?

I just found it convenient that you threw your punches, I threw some back and then you put your hands up saying "This is a waste of time for me, I'm done...", but that's the last you'll hear of it from me (in this thread anyways). Like I said, if you're not willing to address what I retorted with, then let it go.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

I just found it convenient that you threw your punches, I threw some back and then you put your hands up saying "This is a waste of time for me, I'm done...", but that's the last you'll hear of it from me (in this thread anyways). Like I said, if you're not willing to address what I retorted with, then let it go.

I doubt you'll get a gold star for being stubborn but if you want to be labeled the winner, I wouldn't hold my breath. He is walking away from a silly argument with no end in sight.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro